Who is serious

JeffPeterson

I know Heath is. But who else out here is aggressivley chasing that #4. I am. A ways to go but I'm after it. Harlan, Wannagrip, Sybersnott are you guys seriously going for it?

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Jeff,

I do use it in my training ( every other week ) but as far as looking for a close, that could be years !  I am about 1" away.That might as well be a mile on a #4. I do negitives with it and sometimes I belive it is pulling my hand apart . The ELITE  is just around the coner !

Unless another challenge comes up I am training for the No 4, the Rolling Thunder WR, my 2.5 inch handled dumbbell deadlift and my Weaver Stick lift. These are all being done with the Pullums project in mind and I have a target of mid-January in mind.

Steve

You impressed me with the way you handled the #4 back in January so you must  have made some progress by now? How close are you? Mid Jan maybe closing time then? Are you going to take the title of crush daddy as well as thick bar daddy? What sort of training are you doing on the grippers?

Jim other than the work on the inverted number 2 I did little or no training on the three never mind the four.

Again: I only do what I have to do no more.

Again 2: I only train on what I am aiming for. No frills.

So ask me next January!!

Guest Uberman

I have only had my four a short time and have just threw it in training now and then. I recently desided to get serious for a cycle with it and see what happens. Now my hands are constantly sore:). I have closed it down onto a 3/4 inch spacer. Mike

I hope to get the four in the next year, this is probably very wishful thinking,. I have been making consistent gains and want to be certified on the three in a month or two. I closed the #3 three times while supporting my wrist. Next workout I'll start out going for it with out support. Anybody know what the dealines are for making MILO. Would info. have to be submitted in Aug. to make the Sept. issue or is it more like June.

Guest Mikael Siversson

I am also aiming for the #4. If I can aviod injuries and continue to make good gain, I may close it in 25 years time. Will I succeed? Probably not.

I would really love to close the four someday, but if I were to be honest with myself I don't ever see it happening.  Regardless of that I WILL for sure be certified on the three at some point.

Guest 115-1005574997

Your aiming for the #4 as well Steve, fantastic.

I must admit youve come on in leaps and bounds over the last 18 months and your turning into a right good living grip legend.  

For those who dont know, Steve has recently listed winning the iron grip championships as his main ambition.  It shows the caliber of the comp if SG has never won it. his achievements so far are :-

Deadlifted the inch

Lifted the millenium off a paltform like john wood

Mashed the 3 - next to close the 4?

Wever stick record

rolling world record

3 1/2" world record

2 1/2" world record

Almost lifted the blob and will on next attempt

partial deadlift on a 2" bar of 1000lbs

a living legend - you are #### right boy!

I think Steve is a real contender for the 4.  Don’t forget that he managed a record on Gazza’s dynamometer the day after the grip champs Scott.  What did you pull Steve 145kg?

Perhaps I should compile a list myself? I likes it :p

On Barbaran Roberts Grip Dyno I managed 124 kilos the morning after the very late (ahem) night before.

On the MDB I did a mimic of John Woods lift from the floor (only a few inches to test it out). I might give that another go as per John - ie: the platform - in January.

The partial, which I stopped weeks ago, was 1080 at its best. If I can fit it in I'll see how high I can go on my 1.5 inch thick bar - short term target 1100.

I am training on the following right now with January targets in brackets.

Weaver Stick (20 lbs)

2.5 inch thick handled Bell (300)

Rolling Thunder (300)

CoC (4)

and possibly as above to amuse myself

Partial Deadlift (1100)

9kg on the weaver stick!! That would be amazing!

That’s some list of targets that you have set yourself for January.  How are you doing on the #4 at the moment?  ¼” away from closure perhaps?

The only time I ever wrapped my wrists was at the grip competition. Normally never. I prefer low reps and sets 3's for the first set, 2-3 for the second and a couple of singles for the third (sometimes fourth).

Right now, I'm very close on my BBE.  When I can close THAT..... then we will discuss the #4.

BTW, anyone besides me doing any gripwork on the SW??  ???

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Steve,

When you are doing overhand deads with a thick bar, What kind of sets-reps are you doing ? I am useing a 2 3/8 " bar and a 3" bar.  Thanks

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Hey Snott,

I am also close to the BBE. I am about 1/8" away. If it wasn't for the big chamfer on the ends of the handels, I think I would have now. Where are you at ?

On the top weights (9, 10 and 11 plates a side) I use an alternating grip on the 1.5 inch thick bar. Throught the whole time I train/ed the lift I never went over three reps a set. Here's what I'd do (and will again)

3 plates a side x 3 reps

5 plates a side x 3 reps

7 plates a side x 3 reps

9 plates a side x 2 reps (belt on now)

10 plates a side x 2 reps

11 plates a side x 1 or 2 singles reps.

When I was using 11 plates I gradually added smaller discs so it was 11 20-kilo plates and a 15 kilo plate per side at my top weight (I think). Also on the 3 and 5 plate sets I would change the grip back and forwards for balanace and variety. Not for any medical or scientific reasons but cos it felt right. I tried it with 7 a side and could just hold it.