Bending Steel In The Clouds!

David Horne

Bending Steel in the Clouds! (Under aegis of BHSA)

Saturday 20 October, 2007

Venue: Mt. Pen-yr Ole Wen, Mt. Carnedd Dafydd, Mt. Carnedd Llewelyn, Wales

Start: Hopefully setting off up the mountains at 8.30 am

We will set off on a 12 mile round trip where we climb Mt. Pen-yr Ole Wen (3,209ft), and then climb the ridges to Mt. Carnedd Dafydd (3,425ft), and finally Mt. Carnedd Llewelyn (3,491ft). We hope to do some bending on each of the peaks, weather permitting!

Graeme,

It's not a contest, just a get to together and possible record attempt, if anyone has anything left in them after 3,000ft x 3 of climbing.

Basically carry up the mountains what steel you want to bend. I've got plenty of Nails, G5 and G8's and various bars from the last comp. Also Bastard bars, etc.

Do you fancy coming? If so get in touch with me.

I think it'll be an exhilerating experience. The view will be amazing.

A local outdoor shop was fascinated by this, and I'm sure that an exhibition will come from this. More exposure for the hand strength sport!

David

Graeme,

Shame, but no prob. We'll line another one up at another time, so we'll see you then.

Good luck to your daughter at the footie.

David

I was in our local outdoor shop today demonstrating some double nail bending, and then teaching them to bend nails. They all were fascinated. The boss actually may come on this climb, which may be very useful if we get lost in thick cloud! :D:D

David

Graeme,

It's not a contest, just a get to together and possible record attempt, if anyone has anything left in them after 3,000ft x 3 of climbing.

Basically carry up the mountains what steel you want to bend. I've got plenty of Nails, G5 and G8's and various bars from the last comp. Also Bastard bars, etc.

Do you fancy coming? If so get in touch with me.

I think it'll be an exhilerating experience. The view will be amazing.

A local outdoor shop was fascinated by this, and I'm sure that an exhibition will come from this. More exposure for the hand strength sport!

David

I did such a 'show' ages ago. They have those climbing walls and you've got a board with the grips on. There's a small one at the other gym I use and I showed a few members how grip and hand strength would help. It's esp useful for the lighter weight freeclimbers.

That looks like being a lot of fun (and pain to my 300+lbs frame), and I'd love to come just for the walk (I cannot walk on a slope anymore, Manchester's too damn flat), but I'm throwing a poker night in Solihull, which is a shame, cos I really need to work on my CV.

• 3 weeks later...

Bending Steel in the Clouds! (Under aegis of BHSA)

It was an incredible day, the weather conditions was wonderful - wait and see the photos and vids! :D

It was certainly a far harder climb than my last climb up Mt. Snowdon, a good step up for me, but of course Elizabeth's first climb!

I got the record bend on Mt. Pen-yr Ole Wen (3,209ft) in front of a climbing club. They took videos and pics and gave me a round of applause which was nice. At the next Mountain Mt. Carnedd Dafydd (3,425ft), I couldn't and neither could Elizabeth get the bends fully. At this point we were very tired and had been climbing for about 5 hours.

Anyway lots more stories and I'll try and get the pics up, and the video later on youtube.

Both of us are like zombies right now and in a lot of pain!

David

Looks like you were lucky with the weather – it's not often like that in Wales! Wish I could've been there.

I'll see you Friday Dave, Just got back from Portugal and have the in-laws here this week,

Jim,

Well we hope to get one more climb in before Xmas, so maybe you can make that one.

See you Friday.

David

Beautiful scenery! Powerful bending! Seems ya'll had a very good day.

Thanks for sharing, David!