Vbar Rule Question...

Matt Brouse

There is a rule saying the hand can be no lower than 2 inches (~5cm) from the top of the bar, correct?

Is this still upheld? I'm looking through some of the training videos online, mine included, and I am not seeing that being followed.

Even Theo's big pull looks as though he may have been lower than that. Seems that most just set-up right over the paint line.

Thanks for the input, in advance.

I thought it just had to be lifted 2 inches off the ground. I've also never competed so I'm not sure.

Right, thanks David. That's actually what I had seen...looks like I gotta start reconfiguring my grip on the bar!!! I think I am a bit too low.

Promoters are supposed to be looking at that stuff. If they're not then they aren't being strict enough. We have one person watching the lift and one person watching the grip at our contests. that's how it should be - adhering to the rules - in my opinion.

Promoters are supposed to be looking at that shit. If they're not then they aren't being strict enough. We have one person watching the lift and one person watching the grip at our contests. that's how it should be - adhering to the rules - in my opinion.

I don't know about competition vids, just looking as some of the "gym lifts" floating around the net.

So, as a moderator, are you going censor that post? haha

Promoters are supposed to be looking at that shit. If they're not then they aren't being strict enough. We have one person watching the lift and one person watching the grip at our contests. that's how it should be - adhering to the rules - in my opinion.

I agree, and I have whined about it before during a contest, saying, "watch such and such". Then when I watch it I will see that the hand is at such an angle that part of it really is two inches away, it's just that not all of it is. So, there is some judgment required, common sense, etc. I cannot complain about what I have seen go on in contests.

I also think it is a good idea to train less than 2 inches so that on Game Day you feel like you have all kinds of leverage.

So does the unpainted section on the FBBC vbar, that you can't grip below, satisfy this 2" requirment? In otherwords, as long as you don't grip below this section are you good? And if not, how do you guys judge this...eyeballing it?

Thanks,

Josh

Locking the thumb is like a traditional hook grip...pretty much not effective anyway...)

Jad, you may not grip below the painted line (which would be miserable anyway) and the edge of the top of the hand may not be more than two inches from the top of the bar.

My opinion: I think it would be more effective to say that the hand must be even with the paint line. Two inches from the top is sibjective unless you actually measure it (which would suck) but it's easy to tell if the hand is even with the paint line.

I was thinking John wasn't as strict. Like he made the unpainted area on his vbar so that you could put your hand anywhere in that area.

So does the unpainted section on the FBBC vbar, that you can't grip below, satisfy this 2" requirment? In otherwords, as long as you don't grip below this section are you good? And if not, how do you guys judge this...eyeballing it?

Thanks,

Josh

I don't know about competition vids, just looking as some of the "gym lifts" floating around the net.

So, as a moderator, are you going censor that post? haha

I edited it. My bad.

I agree, and I have whined about it before during a contest, saying, "watch such and such". Then when I watch it I will see that the hand is at such an angle that part of it really is two inches away, it's just that not all of it is. So, there is some judgment required, common sense, etc. I cannot complain about what I have seen go on in contests.

I also think it is a good idea to train less than 2 inches so that on Game Day you feel like you have all kinds of leverage.

I realize now that Matt was talking about training lifts.

im sorry, butno locking of the thumb meaning...? what exactly? The thumb goes with the rest of the fingers?

Locking the thumb whilst taking your grip means the thumb is literally pulled under the forefinger and held into place by it. This grip is much stronger as the thumb is most often the weakest link and you can apply greater pressure to the bar because you're applying extra pressure to the thumb with the forefinger. Learning this technique is BRUTAL on the thumb during the breaking phase. The thumb really takes a beating against the bar, but in the proper setting (Olympic style lifts) it works wonders for pulling BIG weight.

I hope this helps (?).

Goody

"So does the unpainted section on the FBBC vbar, that you can't grip below, satisfy this 2" requirment? In otherwords, as long as you don't grip below this section are you good? And if not, how do you guys judge this...eyeballing it?

Thanks,

Josh"

I checked this out a while ago Josh and if you grip it like that you will be lower then 2 inches.

Actually it depends - now that's a surprise I'm sure. There seems to be more than one way to grip a v-bar - one the hand is placed perpendicular to the bar, at least in the beginning of the lift - this way boils down to the pretty much the width of the competitors hand plus a bit of angle as the pull is done. The other way the hand is placed at somewhat of an angle on the v-bar at the start and takes up considerably more space vertically on the v-bar. Big lifts are being done with both grips so I don't feel either is incorrect. But one way does use up a greater distance of bar during the lift. So a bottom mark and a top mark (even if not actually marked) is probably a good idea. Obviously hand size comes into play here as well somewhat. I've only seen a couple lifts in competitions that I would consider questionable - in general, judging - while not anal - is strict enough that I've never thought advantage was being taken.

Would it be illegal to put a silver or red line around the handle where two inches is?

Just trying to take the subjectivety out of it...

Would it be illegal to put a silver or red line around the handle where two inches is?

Just trying to take the subjectivety out of it...

Surely that would be kosher. I usually have a thin strip of duct tape on mine.