Oil

Bob Lipinski

Hah, I thought I was weak as shit cause I couldn't hardly do anything with my grippers. What do you know, a fresh coat of oil made a BIG difference. Looks like I'm not nearly as weak as I thought I was.

I read something about it in another topic and it reminded me to do a little maintainence. I was suprised, I never had it make such a huge difference before.

Was your grippers squeaking before you put oil on it? My #3 is a little rusty but it doesn't squeak so I don't oil it until it starts squeaking/grinding together.

Edited by PowerHouse

What kind of oil do you apply to the gripper? My number two is a couple of year old so it's due a coat.

A little dab of 3 in 1 oil will do the trick...and you can pick it up just about anywhere.

Goody

oil is so important .. i put some last month on my 2.5 and without much prob i closed it! its a small trick that makes a bitg difference! best of luck

i used the oil i put on my food it works!

Edited by ewokhugo

oil is so important .. i put some last month on my 2.5 and without much prob i closed it! its a small trick that makes a bitg difference! best of luck

i used the oil i put on my food it works!

Won't food oil go rancid?

Was your grippers squeaking before you put oil on it? My #3 is a little rusty but it doesn't squeak so I don't oil it until it starts squeaking/grinding together.

I'd advice to oil it if it has already started to rust. At one time I wanted to keep one of my #3's unoiled so it wouldn't become any easier, but I think it was a mistake as it started to rust and I don't know if you can reverse the damage in any way. Also I learned throught gripper calibration results, that the effect of oiling isn't that big on new grippers, they will not be that much easier after oiling. One of my #3's was 3,25 out of the package unoiled and 3,20 after a few drops of oil. Not that big a difference. So, out of the pack "hard" grippers don't turn into "easy" grippers by oiling. Difference is bigger of course on the rusty ones.

I'd advice to oil it if it has already started to rust. At one time I wanted to keep one of my #3's unoiled so it wouldn't become any easier, but I think it was a mistake as it started to rust and I don't know if you can reverse the damage in any way.

3 in 1 oil will clean rust from springs as well as lubricate them. Unless the rust on your gripper is more than simple surface rust, you can easily clean it.

No, I'm not ruining any of the grippers. There wasn't any squeeking in any of the ones I oiled.

I mean, it wasn't a huge difference, but it was the difference between getting about 1/8-1/4 inch away and just barely closing it. Most of these grippers are about 5-6 years old I think.

Put a bit of WD-40 on an old toothbrush and work it into the coil of the gripper. Wipe off any excess with tissue paper and you're ready to go! ;)

Any sort of tightly wound spring needs a few drops every now and then, it is inherent in the way they work. I think I said once that you have to look at it from the perspective that oiling a gripper doesn't make it easier, it stops it from getting harder than it should be.

Afterall, if you left a gripper in the wrong conditions for long enough it would be practically impossible to close.

Edited by The Mac

now i understand the difference riogrip! its all about lubrificate tand clean rust .. i will try next time!

Teemu:very good post !

Many of my grippers creak and as per instructions directly from Dr. Strossen "lubricate them" even a brand new out of the package need to be done. RS

Or, you can toss your grippers in a 5 gallon bucket and let them get rusty and cruded up. It's called the Diesel Method. HAHAHA!

Many of my grippers creak and as per instructions directly from Dr. Strossen "lubricate them" even a brand new out of the package need to be done. RS

Richard,

If you need any of your creaky grippers oiled up, send them to me and I'll do it... ruff ruff!!! :D;)

Ive read alot about grippers being oiled to keep their action smooth and not bind up, but what about the springs on an ISG? Does anybody oil there ISG's?

I don't think it would be necessary because there isn't really friction between the coils like in a torsion spring gripper.