Dumb ?'s

HAMMERHEAD

I'm a knucklehead.  Does andybody know why PDA doesn't offer grippers andymore? Is it because it isn't an exat science?  If anybody  is worried about perfection it's PDA.

Here's another question.  What is a decent lift with a 3 inch diameter dumbell.  I have a Turk and I love it.  I am able to lift  90lbs  on the Turk; which I think is a total of 113?  I am sorry but I don't have a scale.  I know some of the greats can do a whole lot more.

-HH

There was (and may still be) a very long explanation on PDA's site re the grippers. It was as you have guessed and have been told. John was spending way too much time on something he didn't get a lot from money wise and in addition found that the spring science, as you put it, wasn't as precise as he would have liked.

Re the Turk. With it being 3 inches why not check the Iron Grop results. Anything over 100 pounds seems very good and 113 is over. I'd aim for a short term target of 120, mid term 160 and long term 200. Hit the LT target and you'll be one of the greats yourself.

BTW I did 83 kilos /  182.3 lbs on a 3.5 inch handled DB. I tried 93.

How long have you had the chance to train on this? I'd do at least 3-4 months and see if I was any good or making progress if I was you. I suspect from the 113 pounds you could well be suited to it.

I've hade the Turk for a few weeks, so I hanen't had too much work with it.

182.3lbs is quite a lift!

120lbs sounds like a good short term goal.  I have notice that working with the Turk takes strength away from my gripper training.  For example if I work hard with the Turk I may need to rest a few days to be effective with the grippers.   This may be due to the fact that I am doing more exercizes than heavy lifts.  I also do hammer curls, shurgs, toss from hand to hand, etc...

Mabey since my short term goals are closint the #2 and lifting 120lbs on the Turk I should only focus on these 2 exercizes and temporarly drop the other stuff (blocks and sledge)?

That would be hard because I love the blocks!

-HH

Right now, with the hoped-for Pullums event in mind I am only training three days a week (I trained four a week for the Iron Grip) and on the grip day only on my best events.

I have also discussed what you are saying at great length with Simon Lodge - one of the grip boys here. I told him what I will tell you. IF you are SERIOUS about those two challenges you have set yourself the only reason you should have anything else, grip exercise wise, in your training is if they will help you achieve it. Ok?

Good luck ;)

Hammerhead,

There are no dumb questions here.... I have people calling the hotline all the time thinking that THEY are asking dumb questions; they aren't.

Try incorporating some DB swings with your Turk.

Sybersnott-

Done.  When I Toss it from hand to hand I swing the weight up to about chest level and switch hands, swing again and switch.  I like it.  I have been doin' it w/ 2 dimes which is a total of about 43lbs.  Mabey, I should up the weight a little.

-HH

Once the exercise gets too easy... then, yes, increase the weight.