Just Received My Blob50

Mitch1963

I have never seen one or tried any blob heavier than 35. Man is it impressive. Can't even begin to budge it so I will have to fabricate a deloading device. I now greatly respect the ones who can lift it. Thanks Gordon, it looks awsome!

Mitch

In addition to deloading, negatives also work pretty well on the block weights.

I'm confused my friend. If I can't lift a certain blockweight how can I do the negative part? Explain how you do this. Thanks for your help.

If I can't lift a certain blockweight how can I do the negative part? Explain how you do this. Thanks for your help.

Lift with two hands, lower with one! ;):D

:blink

Do it outdoors if you can, just hang on for dear life and watch your feet. Do some reps by assisting with your other hand the minimal amount it takes to slow it.

One thing I discovered is that you can next just rapidly slap the side of it as it descends, that will force you to hold it for brief periods; increase the periods between slaps as you get stronger.

Also, don't forget that you can do "forced reps" by touching the thumb side with one finger or more if needed, that will make up for thumb weakness and help it come up, even if you only apply side pressure.

I'm confused my friend. If I can't lift a certain blockweight how can I do the negative part? Explain how you do this. Thanks for your help.

You can assist the positive phase by many ways to pick the weight up. I always use something as a cushion if I'm doing negatives, so that it doesn't matter if you drop the weight. Here I've listed some ways you can use to pick up the weight for the purpose of doing negatives, ranging from the most assistance used to the less assistance used.

- tilt the weight somewhat to place your free hand under the weight, then lift, let go with the assisting hand.

- if you feel you are pretty close to lifting the weight, apply pressure to your thumb with the assisting hand to help you complete the lift, then let go.

-you can apply pressure to the thumb side of the weight with your fingertips to help you complete the positive phase of the lift.

You can use something as a bouncy cushion to bounce the weight up and use the desired way to assist with the other hand, or, if you are able to atleast hold the weight for a second or something, not use your other hand at all.

In my opinion, bounces work pretty well on their own as well, you are forced to handle some of the weight by yourself for some time anyway and you are, after all moving it. Better way to gain strength then mere isometrics on a stationary object you'd be stuck to do if you just tried to lift too heavy block weight up over and over again.

These are some of the ideas I've used. I hope you understood, I'm not sure if I was clear enough on everything.

Bob threw in good advice too, assisting on the negative phase, I forgot that :)

It works,I have done this to get my 42Lb. blob,can lift it to knee height unassisted at this time.if I use the negative I can hold at full lift for a few seconds.Just keep trying and all of a sudden it will start to come together.oh yeah,use lots of chaulk until the blob starts to hold some.

Thanks I will have to try that.
No problem, keep us posted how you are doing.

I tried pushing on my thumb with my other hand and was surprised I could lift it. That made me think I wasn't too far away from being able to lift it. Wrong...After work I fabricated a deloader and the best I could get was deloaded to 40lbs. I want to get some video of the deloader in action. It turned out really nice. I had an old set of 1" linear ball bearings that I put in a housing with a platform welded to the housing. Bearing housing rides on a 1" chrome plated shaft that is welded to a platform. Cable connects from housing up to a pulley at top off to another pulley then attaches to the loading pin. The second pulley gets the short loading pin away from the 1" shaft so I can stack plates. It will be awesome to train with the actual Blob50. Thanks everybody for the advice.

The negatives work! I can't believe I could lift it with two hands and hold with one for the negative portion. Thanks for the good advice my friends.