Cali. Grip Contest

RKlein

their are 3 teacher tests i have to take on Nov. 3. i really don't think i can get out of it.

Kevin or Mike, is their anyway we could change the date a week earlier? i understand if you can't. can't remember if the week before was bad for someone or not. thanks Ryan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hubgeezer

• RKlein

• THOR

• lone Wolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it Adam who needed it to be November 3? I will go back and read the old posts...

Sam could not make it November 3, maybe he can make it a week earlier...

Edited by Hubgeezer

nope doesn't look like i can make either at this time Mike i can't get out of work.

Thanks for responding, as you and Lone Wolf are the only ones who have. Ryan, I PM'd Meskew, Adam, and Bill, but did not hear from them. I think is was Adam that had an issue with the date Ryan wanted.

Mike C

Hub, Adam a I have a wedding to attend on the 27th (no were not getting married). If you guys want to hold the contest on the 27th that is fine with me, I'm still on the mend and have lost a lot of strength. I'm sure that Adam dose not want to miss the contest. Please don't go out of your way to accommodate me, if I miss this contest that is fine with me. Although it would be nice to spend a day competing with my friends.

I think Adam plus Bill trumps Ryan on this contest as far as a date goes. It comes down to the number of the people who can make it on the scheduled date versus the number who cannot.

If 5 people were to chime in and say "I really want it to be October 27", that would be different.

We have not heard from our fearless leader in a while either.

Mike C aka Hubgeezer

Yeah scratch that idea. i would not want two regulars who live so close by to have to miss this because of me.

last two options would be maybe have it on Sunday? Nov. 4? make everything rising bar so we could get out at a decent time. or maybe Nov. 10? I am doing Wabdl worlds Nov. 17 and i know strongman nationals are also Nov. 17. might be too close for some people like Ronnie or Dan if he competes.

Has anyone heard from Kevin Bussi?

if this affects even one person then nevermind.

(out of the shadows).... Well Ryan I would have to double check on the sunday but that could be an option, or even the following weekend both could be ok with me, im sorry that it has to come to this... but maybe things might work out and we all would be able to get a date that we all can agree on, but other than that like Bill said we cant get out of the 27th date... sorry

Adam THOR

Thanks Adam. Nevermind about the Sunday. Maybe the week after (Nov. 10) if not that is okay.

Yeah, that is the same conclusion I came to. I have PM'd the normal group of attendees, still waiting on most of them. Saturday November 10, if it does not chase others away, might be a good solution. This will be our last try.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I can no longer make either date. I have a Driver/operator class that spans both weekends (and the following week) and it takes all day, turns out I may be double booked for both weekends anyways as my EMT needs renewal. I was really looking forward to going too. Perhaps next time.

Sadly I can no longer make either date...I was really looking forward to going too. Perhaps next time.

Thanks for getting back to us, Rick.

As best as I can tell, by having the contest on November 10 instead of November 3, we pick up Ryan Klein, and lose no one. So, we await further word from our Fearless Leader, Kevin Meskew, known on the board as ironwarrior.

Assuming we are all still on, Saturday, November 10 ought to be the day. I think there is Lone Wolf, Thor/Adam, Fatboy/Bill, Hubgeezer/Mike, Ryan Klein, Ronnie Castro, some young fellow Kevin Meskew knew, Ronnie was going to ask Odd, Harrison depended on if he had a Pro Card or not (yes if he got it), and whoever else I may have forgotten or who may be interested.

Steve B, are you still out there? C'mon inside and join the crowd. You too Zach P.

Wow sounds like we are going to have a full crowd.. it sucks that Rick isnt going to be able to make it this trip I was looking forward to seeing him again...

Has anyone heard from kevin(handygripperman) if he was coming or not?

And to just make it official it IS on nov 10th, not the 3rd?

And another thing is Clay really going to compete?!? holy crap...

As of today it looks like that I'm out of the contest no matter what the date is. I have been pushing my shoulder pretty hard after surgery and have reinjured it. It has been a week and I'm still unable to lift my arm overhead, and just 2 weeks ago I was doing light overhead press with no pain. Lets just say I'm pissed and ready to cut my arm off. :angry: So as off today count me out sorry guy, I truly was pushing hard to get back into shape and make this contest.

I won't be able to go to the contest at all. I spoke with Odd today and discussed with him about the contest situation. He advised that I should not go and just prepare for WABDL Worlds. He will be competing at WABDL Worlds as well, so he won't be making it to this contest. I've already competed a lot this year. I've competed at 6 strongman competitions and 1 powerlifting meet, so I'm pretty burnt as it is. I just got my first strongman win a couple of weeks ago in Boise and next month will be my first time competing at any type of World event. I am skipping NAS Nationals, because it is on the same day as WABDL Worlds, and I feel that I have a better chance of winning at Worlds than Nationals, since I will be competing on both the Junior and Open divisions. To me, NAS Nationals is more important than WABDL Worlds, because of a chance on getting that Pro Card, but I'm not at that level yet in strongman to be a Pro and plus it's a speed and endurance show, which doesn't suit my style. Well, that's my story on it and I hope everyone that goes kicks butt.

well since i can out pull Odd i think you need to listen to me. i will be your new coach. i am also doing Wabdl Worlds and am doing the grip contest. you will be fine Ronnie. tell Odd to come out also. in all seriousness i hope you guys reconsider.

i agree on the Nationals being more of a speed/endurance show and with no deadlift it was an easy choice for me.

Hmmm. Odd is a pretty level-headed guy. I won't argue with his advice Ronnie.

Here is a promise: if you come, take a few pictures of the event, and post them on the Gripboard, I will give you the PDA gripper that you traded away (personalized with your initials) that I unwittingly acquired in a trade years ago. You can have it after we use it in the contest. I consider it, using the Geezometer SWAG System of Calibration, a 1.5.

Actually, that offer stands for past Meskew contests as well. With the exception of a March 2004 contest, I don't think a single photo/image/video has ever made it onto the Gripboard.

End of speech to Ronnie...

********************************************************************************

Unless one of the die-hard competitors backs out (Hubgeezer, Ryan, Thor, or Lone Wolf) I am sure the Show will go on.

If there are any Gripboard members reading this who have never been in a grip contest, this is an excellent contest to enter. I think my son is working that day, otherwise I could convince him for it to be his first contest. He lifts weights, does martial arts, has smallish hands, is a mechanic, and is familiar with all the implements. He is a maniac on the Formulator, so I may get him to change his mind, as he thinks he can beat most grip guys on the wrist roller. I don't know if that is the case or not, but I may throw it out to him as a challenge.

It is a nice little facility, and Kevin Meskew contests have been the the first time grip contest venue for many competitors whose names will be forgotten, as well as more familiar names from Clay Edgin to Odd Haugen. Guaranteed Good Time. (GGT) Yep, it may not be the GGC( :bow ), but it will always be the GGT. :rock

Okay guys maybe another date change would be good? We have six competitors that i can think of that have Major competitions on Nov. 17. Maybe changing the date (once again) to Dec. 1, 8, or 15 would be better? Chris Rice is having his Dec. 15 and is drawing lots of people. i think are timing is bad and moving it would make it Much better. That would free up Ronnie, Clay, Dan, Odd, Myself and one of my friends who is very strong that i am hoping to bring.

Also maybe Bill will be feeling better by then and also urband could make it.

Adam, Mike, Robert, etc. what do you guys think.

Okay guys maybe another date change would be good? We have six competitors that i can think of that have Major competitions on Nov. 17. Maybe changing the date (once again) to Dec. 1, 8, or 15 would be better? Chris Rice is having his Dec. 15 and is drawing lots of people. i think are timing is bad and moving it would make it Much better. That would free up Ronnie, Clay, Dan, Odd, Myself and one of my friends who is very strong that i am hoping to bring.

Also maybe Bill will be feeling better by then and also urband could make it.

Adam, Mike, Robert, etc. what do you guys think.

Once December rolls around, people start having things like Company Christmas parties, mine is December 8.

I can do December 1. After that, I can't do any contests until late April.

Mike

I can do December 1. That would be fine with me.

Fatboy Bill McC PM'd me and said he could make December 1 as well. It sounds like a decent group. We need to have our Fearless Leader agree to do it. He works for UPS, and his Christmas season is always a bear, so hopefully that can work for him.