Long Bar Bending Challenge - Killick V Horne

David Horne

There Can Be Only One!

Long Bar Bending Challenge - Stewart Killick (Yateley) v David Horne (Stafford)

& Record Day.

Saturday 13 October, 2007

Venue: David Horne's Gym, Stafford

Start: 11 am

Entrance fee: £2.50

The two athletes will be bending 3/4" hrs round bars. The bars will be 44", 42", 40", 38" & 36". Stewart Killick is the current British Record holder in this event.

Edited by davidhorne

Jedd,

I've had the strapping off my finger for 5 days now, and it feels nearly right. I still haven't really done any grip work, just some reps on a light gripper. This kind of bar bending doesn't really get my finger at all, so it's an ideal challenge.

David

Well, good luck to you both!

I'm expecting bends under 40" from both of you :rock !!!

Jedd,

I've had the strapping off my finger for 5 days now, and it feels nearly right. I still haven't really done any grip work, just some reps on a light gripper. This kind of bar bending doesn't really get my finger at all, so it's an ideal challenge.

David

Glad to hear it is coming along.

Cool stuff!

Good luck David.

• 2 weeks later...

There Can Be Only One!

Long Bar Bending Challenge - Stewart Killick (Yateley) v David Horne (Stafford) (Under aegis of BHSA)

Winner: David Horne

Successful bends with 42”, 40” x ¾” (20.45mm). Also got the 37.25” x ¾” (20.45mm) to 60 degrees bend. (40” = new British Record)

Runner up: Stewart Killick

Near successful bend with 42” (to 11.5” between legs), and 40” x ¾” to about 45 degrees bend (20.45mm).

Record Day

Participants

Alex Horne (age 15)

Elizabeth Horne (Female)

Stewart Killick

Richard Scott

David Horne

New Records

One Hand Triple Hub Lift

Alex Horne (age 15) R/H 14.5k L/H 13k Total 27.5k (All new British Recs)

Elizabeth Horne R/H 13k L/H 11.1k Total 24.1k (L/H and total new British Recs)

Grippers – 20mm block close

Alex Horne (age 15) R/H SM (2.46) L/H SA (2.04) Total 4.5 (All new British Recs)

Grippers – Credit card close

Alex Horne (age 15) R/H SA (2.04) L/H SA (2.04) Total 4.08 (All new British Recs)

Elizabeth Horne R/H SA (2.04) L/H SA (2.04) Total 4.08 (All new British Recs)

We also trained on One Hand Deadlifts with a 2” bar, and an Olympic bar. Also Pinch lifting and Baby Inch work. We had a break for soup, and watched Britain’s Strongest Man comp from 1980.

It was a great day, really enjoyed it. Nice to see Stewart again and he will only get stronger every time we meet. He’s a big guy with a very strong upper back (think he rows with 180k or so), and I expect another battle with him soon. I was pleased that my finger stood up to today, as this is the most grip work I’ve done since I injured it.

David

Hi David,

Congratulations on your win and well done to Stewart aswell.

Well done to Alex and Elizabeth with their All new British Records.

Sounds like you all had a great day.

Yours in strength

"BIG AL"

I really enjoyed myself today, I would have liked to have performed better as I wasn't really firing on all cylinders although at my very best I dont think I could have matched David today, He put a fair bend in the 37.25 and I couldn't move it.

I am sure we will do this again and if david manages to get some 19 mm steel (the stuff today came out at 20.45mm) I have no doubt the world record will go.

It was nice to have a go at a lot of the other grip events also and I have seen just how much I will need to improve if I am ever to be able to compete against the likes of David in grip competition.

Kind words Stew.

You're strong and clever and will do very well in the future.

Yes we will meet again.

Awesome rugby tonight by the way. :rock

David

Awesome Bending guys and a Big Congrats to the Horne Family for the New British Records :rock:rock

Wow! Big congrats David, I knew you could do it and congrats Stew on a great performance. Any of those bends would be bends to be proud of.

Stew, you mentioned the world record would fall. What is the current world record? Are we talking about Mats' bends?

Great job guys!

Tim

There Can Be Only One!

Long Bar Bending Challenge - Stewart Killick (Yateley) v David Horne (Stafford)

& Record Day.

Start: 11 am

Entrance fee: £2.50

The two athletes will be bending 3/4" hrs round bars. The bars will be 44", 42", 40", 38" & 36". Stewart Killick is the current British Record holder in this event.

Congrats to all :rock

Wow all 3 of you guys are cranking some serious long bends. I can't wait to see who'll be the first to try something bigger than 3/4. 20mm could argueably be considered that already you know but maybe 7/8 or 3/4 square. I think between the 3 of you one of them will fall.

I knew about Mats' bends but I didn't know if maybe Stew knew about some WR bend that Brookfield or somebody had done. I know in WSM comps, 11/16 was the biggest I've seen bent but it was a much different style. For a while they referred to that as a world record.

David, it blows me away how you say you are able to finish that. To go straight from the initial bend to pushing against your stomach is amazing. I figured you'd have to post on your thigh to get it going.

It would be neat to know what Stanless Steel has bent in the way of 3/4 inch. Since he got a partial bend in 22.75 inches then his fully bent record may be pretty darn good.

Great job again. Keep em coming.

Tim

Tim,

I have some 7/8 and I gave David a piece on Saturday so at sometime I am sure one of us will have a decent attempt at it, I have had a little go go and didnt move it but I am a bit down on power at the moment and once I have finnished my little break this week I will be refocusing on my strongman training ready for next year and hopefully this will set me in good stead for another good attempt at the long bars sometimes in the next few months. I believe that within 6 months someone will have put a decent bend in the 7/8.

Tim,

I usually do about 4-5 bends around the knee before it comes up to my stomach.

As for the old WSM bends, great as they are, especially Capes. We want to keep this long bar bending safe, so CRS bars are out and of course I'd advise against bending behind the neck. Both these factors will blow your shoulder or pec as it did to Kaz. Hopefully next year it would be good to see this type of bending in strongman comps.

I will have a go at the 7/8" bar soon, just have to recover from saturday. Was really sore yesterday, but better today, and did some snapping tonight. I may go for a 23" x 5/8" bar on the mountain on saturday. I'll see how I feel.

Stew,

I'm positive that the 7/8" bar will be done next year by someone, then we can start cutting that down! :D

David