The rock's grip strength routine

Sybersnott

Last night on RAW, the "millions-AND-millions" of fans got to see The Rock (Dewayne Johnson) doing a workout.

Then you saw him do his grip routine.  Hanging towel pull-ups.  He would drape a towel over a overhanging bar, one in each hand, then do pull-ups.  He claimed this worked his grip.

Did anyone else see it?  What did you think??  ???

"Then you saw him do his grip routine.  Hanging towel pull-ups.  He would drape a towel over a overhanging bar, one in each hand, then do pull-ups.  He claimed this worked his grip."

What's wrong with that? A grip master would surely know that towel chins are a grip exercise.

This exercise is mentioned in MOHS (pg 37). Brookfield says to use a short piece of very thick rope instead of a towel. He also mentions that anyone over 250 lbs who can do this will develop world class strength in both the upper and lower arms.

Mike M.

Bob dude...

I didn't say anything was wrong with it.  I just wanted to know what you think about it.  I've never done them before, and I wanted to quell some opinions about it.

Snott-

If you've never tried them before, you should.  They are great.  I have done them in the past, and they really work the grip.  If you are good at pullups, you will like this exersize; because we all know that you have the hand strength to hold the towel.

-HH

i agree with hammerhead, they're great.  as you progress you can layer duct tape around the towel to make it even thicker.  the one i use is now up to about 2.5", and that's tightly rolled so it doesn't compress much when i grab it.

When I do them, I do them the Brookfield way, with rope draped over my pull up bar. I have a piece of smooth nylon tugboat rope that is three inches thick and four feet long. It is perfect for this movement.

Mike M.

I guess small hand towels would be prefered with this movement, right?  Thanks Hammer, I'll give them a try!

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

I use old pairs of jeans for these.  The denim holds up much better than towels.  

I believe doing these helped my sweep but not my close.

Try hanging vertical suspended pieces of pipe or thick wood dowels from a pullup bar. For that matter get some heavy screw eye bolts and put them into cut pieces of hardwood tree limb sections.You can progressively work up to thicker ones! You would have to drill a smaller pilot hole in order to get the screw in and to prevent splitting. Hickory would be a great wood to use. This is what I did in my early highschool(67'-68') years before I knew I "had a grip". Use the same idea to pull waggons(can load them heavier as you get stronger) or......if you are a Monsta',a car!

i have been doing some rope pull ups. i think they are pretty good, but i dont see the results as fast as when i do the grippers. also i wraped my chin bar with duck tape. so that it becomes like a thick handle bumdbell,.....wow!!! :0 , what a work out. i think the thik rope will hurt less though. also i just tried pliar pull ups. just put a metal ring around your chin bar, then grasp the ring with the pliars, and begian to suffer!! :D