Sledge Levering

viper

firstly, what is this lift called?

is it not a front lever? im reading its called overhead lever

Im somewhat confused on what slim farman actually did, ive read hes done 27 or 28lb in some kind of sledge lift, but i cant find a video of him, so has he levered that much in the way of the above video? if thats not the record what is? an whats the most you guys have done or heard of other than slim? have many guys done 16lbs or is that an elite few? + were slims lifts done with 33" length handles? (yes i have loads of questions!)

An lifting the sledge from flat on the floor, by the end of the handle, where the head is behind you, is called what? meaning deadlifting it straight up >whats the most done in this lift? did slim do 22lbs with 33in handle?

thanks

Viper

It's a lever to the nose. Front lever would be arm straight dowm, sledge down, and bringing the sledge up to parallel to the floor by just moving your wrist (arm is kept straight down).

I think I've seen a pic of Dave Morton doing 20 lbs to nose.

To the last point, don't know, but it's a kind of back lever.

It's a lever to the nose. Front lever would be arm straight dowm, sledge down, and bringing the sledge up to parallel to the floor by just moving your wrist (arm is kept straight down).

balls! my log is a bit wrong then..back lever dont sound right cuss its a deadlift, maybe its a back lever deadlift?

Slim did this feat here, but with somewhere around 27 to 31 lbs:

People say the handle length was like 33" but every sledge I see at Home Depot is 30.5" (from below head to end of handle).

Bob, JAD, and maybe some others around here do the lift in the first video (lower to face then back up) in real strict fashion, arm stabilized on like the back of a couch, no movement (very little) in the arm, with 20, 21+ lbs.

I think the rear version you speak of is a rear deadlift. Wagging the hammer around, behind the back, is a rear weaver.

Scroll down to a recent thread below on "Kaz and Sledge Lever" about Bill Kazmaier, legendary all-time powerlifter/world's strongest man. He did the full lift from the ground with about 22 lbs.

Doing it strict, like Bob & JAD, is definitely harder. I did 16 lbs free-style, but my arm wasn't nearly as parallel as Maidenfan's in that video. I've never done 11 lbs in strict fashion (arm parallel to ground, stabilized, no movement, giving about 30-45 degree angle in sledge when hammer touches face).

In the "front deadlift" or front lever, picking it straight up off the ground without letting it dip below parallel, I've read several times that Wes did 12 lbs. Others probably have too, but that's a BIG front lever.

Edited by TelegraphKey

In the "front deadlift" or front lever, picking it straight up off the ground without letting it dip below parallel, I've read several times that Wes did 12 lbs. Others probably have too, but that's a BIG front lever.

That's mighty impressive. Did he deadlift it from parallel to the floor? Or did he actually front levered it?

Argh. I get the terms all mixed up, too. I think of "front lever" as being "front lever deadlift" -- lever on ground, you bend over, pick it up to standing, all the while never letting the sledge dip below parallel to the ground.

The other levering is the Slim lever, or what I called "adduction" -- hold sledge out in front of you, straight up & down, and lower hammer head to face, then bring it back up to straight up & down -- all while never moving the arm, just the wrist.

balls! my log is a bit wrong then..back lever dont sound right cuss its a deadlift, maybe its a back lever deadlift?

your the only person other than my dad whom ive ever heard use "balls" as an exclamation. well done.

There is a bunch of types of sledge levers. It is almost best to describe what you are doing-

-slim front lever

-lever to the face

-front deadlift

-rear deadlift

And even then you have to be a little more specific. Slim used a big pad for extra leverage in his big lifts, and also there is a big difference between the levers to the face with the arm parallel, and the ones with the hammer parallel.