Plate Wrist Curls

filipvk

Hello everybody,

I can do a wrist curl with 80 kg on a 4 cm thick barbell but I'm not able to do a plate wrist curl with a 10 kg plate. :dry

Isn't it the same movement when I do the barbell wrist curls? I don't understand why I suck in plate wrist curls. :blush

The plate is longer, which = more torque, which makes it much harder to lift. The actual "weight" you are lifting is deceiving--while the plate wrist curl "weighs" less, its length means the amount of force your resisting is more. Also the position in which your holding it (like a sandwich vs. a sausage :-p ) puts more force on your thumb and the rest of your hand. These make it much harder to lift when compared to conventional wrist curls.

So, no, you don't really suck at them, they're just harder than conventional wrist curls.

Hello everybody,

I can do a wrist curl with 80 kg on a 4 cm thick barbell but I'm not able to do a plate wrist curl with a 10 kg plate. :dry

Isn't it the same movement when I do the barbell wrist curls? I don't understand why I suck in plate wrist curls. :blush

Its a matter of torque around your wrist (point of rotation). The 80kg (weight) in your dumbell is close to your wrist, say centered around 2" (distance) away. The 10kg plate's weight is centered probably about 12-14" away. In addition, it is way easier to grasp the barbell support the pinch of a plate through the same range of movement.

In simplified terms, Torque = Force (weight) x Distance

80kg x 2" = 160kg*in

10kg x 14" = 140kg*in The two torques are nearly comparable, combined with the different gripping difficulties, its easy to see why the plate

curls are more difficult. In addition, with a plate curl your fingers are erect, its much easier to bend your wrist with

curled fingers, try it without any weight and see.

Hope this helps....

Braden

Hello everybody,

i personally find plate wrist curls to be more about finger strength than wrist strength, though you have to have the wrist strength too, i think comparing normal wrist curls to plate wrist curls is basically pointless, they are very much different - remember that 10kg is regarded as being a good feat, 15kg is world class, an 20kg has never been done (as far as i know), so its not like this is an exercise where lots of poundage is used

Hello everybody,

i personally find plate wrist curls to be more about finger strength than wrist strength, though you have to have the wrist strength too, i think comparing normal wrist curls to plate wrist curls is basically pointless, they are very much different - remember that 10kg is regarded as being a good feat, 15kg is world class, an 20kg has never been done (as far as i know), so its not like this is an exercise where lots of poundage is used

I totally agree. I am sure you had pain in your fingers when you attempted to curl it. That's what stop most people.

Hello everybody,

Is this world Class? :D

Hello everybody,

that looks good to me arne looks like well that video was a year old and i think if you wanted to and trained for it you could be doing a 45 by now 12 more pounds :rock

Thanks guys for your answers!

I tried to do plate wrist curls with 10kg few minutes ago and I did 3-4 reps. :)

Maybe my fingers position were wrong.

Hello everybody,

that looks good to me arne looks like well that video was a year old and i think if you wanted to and trained for it you could be doing a 45 by now 12 more pounds :rock

Thank You! My ultimate goal is to plate wrist curl a 20 kg plate in this strict style. My training have been off for a moment now (divorce), I've just start my grip training again.