Ironmind bag'o' nails -- going from green to yello

Guest TomV

Boy do I feel like a friggin wuss.

I can bend seven inches at 3/16" CRS.

Six or less, sure.

Five, not at all.

Seven inches of 1/4", no way.

Is there anything between 3/16" and 1/4?

Is there anything between 3/16" and 1/4?

Razorman,

I would try longer pieces of 1/4" and work down.  If you can't bend long pieces of 1/4" then keep doing shorter pieces of 3/16" until you can bend a longer (9"+) piece of 1/4"

Sounds like you are between IM White and Green, right now.  7"x1/4" would be a Yellow.  If you are comfortable bending 5" lengths then I would focus on shorter pieces of 3/16" stock right now.  Bending even a longer piece of 1/4" looks more impressive, though.  It took me around 3 months to progress from White to Blue, so you shouldn't get hung up about your progress yet.  Once you develop a little more strength, bending the 3/16" will feel like bending a coathanger!  I am trying to get to the point where I can bend a 60p nail with that kind of ease.

You might also work on your wrist strength with sledgehammer leveraging.  The lifts to the rear help me.

Robert

Sounds like you are between IM White and Green, right now.  7"x1/4" would be a Yellow.  If you are comfortable bending 5" lengths then I would focus on shorter pieces of 3/16" stock right now.  

You might also work on your wrist strength with sledgehammer leveraging.  The lifts to the rear help me.

Well, my problem is being able to grip the 5" piece. I'm using the spikebending technique, and I find that with the shorter pieces, I just can't get the leverage.

As for sledgehammer lifts, I have an Ironmind thor's hammer, and am enjoying using that.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Still working on getting up to crescent-wrench bending!

Razorman,  the following might interest you. My training partner did the testing and provided me with the numbers. The type of metal is listed with its dimensions and the approx. number of pounds of force needed to U-shape it:

Ironmind White          (6"     x 3/16")    120 lbs.

Grade 2 Carriage bolt  (5 1/2" x 1/4")   125 lbs.

Solid brass rod          (7"     x 1/4")     155 lbs.

Ironmind Green          (5"     x 3/16")    160 lbs.

Based on these numbers, you might want to give the carriage bolts and cut brass rods a try.

Train smart!

Razorman,  the following might interest you. My training partner did the testing and provided me with the numbers. The type of metal is listed with its dimensions and the approx. number of pounds of force needed to U-shape it:

Ironmind White          (6"     x 3/16")    120 lbs.

Grade 2 Carriage bolt  (5 1/2" x 1/4")   125 lbs.

Solid brass rod          (7"     x 1/4")     155 lbs.

Ironmind Green          (5"     x 3/16")    160 lbs.

Based on these numbers, you might want to give the carriage bolts and cut brass rods a try.

Train smart!

WOW!

Thanks, Strongman!

Looks like I'm out to Home Depot again!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

The only nails I've tied bending are the 6inch nails from B&Q in the UK they are 6mm (labelled Bright) what would be the ironmind equivalent, I am thinking of ordering some what should I go for to start with and what should I go for to challenge me.

Thanks

Guest woody36

Buy some 6mm diameter  Hot and Cold rolled steel from either

B&Q or a steel stockists. A 6m bar at a stockist will cost

between 5-8 quid depending on steel type (cold reduced is

more expensive). The HR is easier than the Bright nails,the

CR harder. You could also try Twisted rod (rebar) in 6mm dia,

which is tougher than the HR if memory serves.