• Arthur Saxon
    • Mark Henry
    • Chris James
    • Steve 'Mobster' Gardener

Scott,

My money is on Apollon, whom you have listed, I fear

confusingly for new board members, by his non-stage

name, Louis Uni. But you list Saxon by his stage name? :blush

That’s a tough one to call Scott.  What with Mobsters big ‘off the ground’ lifts with dumbbells and the RT and with Chris’ thick bar cleans and inch clean it’s hard to decide.  The fact that the Welsh man has dominated these thick bar implements and literally flung them to shoulder height does suggest ‘Daddy-like’ tendencies though.

Guest 115-1005574997

Jim

Its a toughie as all candidates have done a variety of thick handled bell/bar lifts of various diameters.

all good daddy potential and non of the lifts have been "nothing but a peanut"

so in your humble opinion WHOS THE DADDY???

:D

Wanagrip

To keep it all fun and light hearted, how about the winner out of Steve and Chris gets “Thick Bar Daddy” officially under their name

Just an idea  :D

Chris is definitely the "object cleaning to shoulder daddy", seems like anything he can get his paws on ends up going overhead.

Why just deadlift it when you can give it some air time?

Hmm not big on overheads but its not being lifted its being pushed. I consider that less (to a degree) grip and much more pushing. Chris and I have seen many (viz the Arnold Classic strong man event et al) you can push big but pull (thick handles) small. Chris will allow the weight, as he should indeed all should, to settle in his hand and then its much more of a push than a pull/grip.

That said he gets them a lot higher than me but as we speak I'm still ahead :p

Guest 115-1005574997

Eliz

its that erol flinn 'tash that does it .....

yep the mighty Apollon was the GRAND DADDY of thick bar lifting and rightly deserve the mantal

for those not subscribed to IG would you mind enlightening the masses with some of his achievements?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the compliment of being compared to these legends (Steves a leg  end !!!! only joking Steve) ,but i'm not in their league.

Strongest ever on thickbar lifts as got to be Louis Uni.

Best alive today ...Steve Gardner.

So Louis Uni is the granddaddy , Steves the daddy and i'm the long lost cousin !!!!  :(  :(  :(

Thick bar Daddy,

Surely the cleaning action that Chris is performing (and that is being talked about here) is a pulling action and not pushing?  I would imagine that pulling on the bell with enough explosive force to get it shoulder height would put more stress on the grip rather than less?

Guest 115-1005574997

Hia Chris

Your too modest mate :)

Jim

Id have to agree.  having performed cleans and snatches yourself with blobs, blocks and thick handles, you know the higher off the floor a weight gets the 'harder' it is on your grip so a high pull or clean is IMMENSELY harder than just lifting it off the floor.  look how hard the blob was to get to knee height compaired to just off the floor or the inch dbell to knee height than a yellow pages.  only the catch and push/press/jerk is not a pulling movement

respect Chris youve done REALLY WELL.

But Chris might be the slowest puller in history (no thats me - ask my ex's he he). Seriously, I am fully aware of the explosive power our Chris has but his pushing power is way better (400 pounds push press from head height etc).

Lets see him kick my butt on the one handed thick handled deadlift and RT.

Or actually see him enter the Iron Grip - c'mon Chris Dave's been nagging you for years. Or (if it happens) the ex at Pullum's.

OLDGUY

Chris James,will do what Mark Henry has,at a far lighter body weight.(meaning the inch replica).

I personally think Chris has done it but is to modest to say.

I think that Chris James will be the next man to both clean and overhead onehanded an Inch replica, and lift the Apollon's axle. Henry was the first and is also number one on the combined powerlifts and Olympic lifts total. Based on that he is not only the world's best thickbar man but the strongest man of all time. Remember this is a friendly poll and just an opinion, although the lifts should speak for themselves.

Uni, Grün (Marx) or (of course) Mr Gardner. ;)

Chris James,

You will add your name to that impressive list once you clean and press the Inch (just like Mark Henry did).

Apollon is the grandmaster of the thick bar.  I myself am doing some work on the thick bars, but I won't go into detail about it here.

Hmm not big on overheads but its not being lifted its being pushed. I consider that less (to a degree) grip and much more pushing. Chris and I have seen many (viz the Arnold Classic strong man event et al) you can push big but pull (thick handles) small. Chris will allow the weight, as he should indeed all should, to settle in his hand and then its much more of a push than a pull/grip.

That said he gets them a lot higher than me but as we speak I'm still ahead  

Steve - Jim's response is what I was getting at. The reason we think that Uni was the "thick bar daddy" was because he apparently did a high pull with a db that no one else (barring 3 others, I think someone said) could even deadlift. I was not referring to the ability to start in a rack and push press, Chris is pulling thick bars & block weights from the ground to overhead that most people can't deadlift.
Lets see him kick my butt on the one handed thick handled deadlift and RT.

What would happen if you 2 went head-to-head on 4 events then: One hand thick handle deadlift, RT, 2 hands thick bar clean and push press, one db thick handle clean and push press?

With training and without going outside the rules it would be 2 all (2 - 2).

Lets say, on paper (electronic paper at that) that I can do

1)One hand thick handle deadlift - my best effort is 259 pounds but I am aiming for 300 this year (all out baby!). Probably 50 more than CJ.

2)Rolling Thunder - 276 (have done 2.2 more) maybe 40-60 more than CJ

3)2 hands thick bar clean and push press - about 100-150 less than Chris!!

4) one db thick handle clean and push press?: about 70-80 less than Mr James.

Therefore, total weighed lifted, CJ would win in your competition.

However, I am in the process of reading the other thread and have to say that anyone who can high pull a weight I can deadlift will be stronger than me.