Quick Inch Db Question

paul valpreda

No I'm pretty sure that's considerably harder. But I could be wrong to be honest I'm no where near an expert on this subject.

A one handed hook grip lift of the Inch would be MUCH harder than a normal lift! Normally the thumb is there to push the DB back into the fingers, without the thumb it all comes down to your finger holding strength. I don't really know how many have done it but I've heard Magnus Samuelsson lifted it with a hook grip.

The picture i've seen of magnus lifting the inch was thumbless grip with a cocked wrist. So it wasn't a hook grip. Would take some serious wrist strength to lift the inch with a thumbless grip.

A hook grip is when you wrap your fingers over your thumb. It's the opposite of what you would do with a DO grip.

For some people this lift is harder, for other it's easier. IMO opinion it's a regular lift, although on the rolling thunder according to the Ironmind rules a thumbless lift is not a regular lift.

Nothing wrong with a thumbless lift, and as Flo says some find one easier than another.

I can lift it both ways, and used to find thumbless easier, but not anymore, I find a normal grip easier now. Maybe I have strengthened or gone weaker in some area.

David

I've done it both ways and it depends on the width of your hand and being able to widen this by adding the thumb at the end (so both ends are tight against a globe).

Thanks for all of your responses. I feel more comfortable using the thumbless grip and I'll probably continue to practice the lift in this fashion until I feel stale.

David once challenged me to a contest lifting the inch with a thumbless grip and I was never able to do it. For me, it is so so so much harder.

I think I have poor flexibility in my extensor muscles, which disallows me to cock my wrist under tension.