Has anyone.......

Guest Youngguy

Guest Youngguy

Has any COC’s or grip trainers broke a gripper before?  Meaning from over use, and failure of the spring.  It would be interesting to see how many brake every so often.

I have broken 2 of the old silver spring coc grippers. Both were ones. Both had noticable wear on the side of the springs. The handle were wider than the current grippers, and I think when I closed them, they twisted slightly, causing the spring to rub. The old ones were very close to the modern two, in closing strength.

I remember a post a while back that Kevin Fulton said he had broken one.  IronMind did replace it.

I had  broken my #2 (1995 gripper ) after about 6  years of use. there isn't anything you can really do about being safe when closing grippers with except perhaps, wearing  safety glasses every time you  use your  grippers :hehe

Guest Youngguy

Fortunately when my #1 broke, I didn't realize it until I heard a snap.  I was like, "Huh, what was that?"  Then I look down, and see that my gripper was in two. :crazy

In other words, it broke peacefully. ???

I broke a single-stamped #1 that was approximately 2 years old.  I wasn't surprised at all when it finally broke, as I had done a massive amount of total reps on it.  Before I was able to close the #2 routinely, it wasn't uncommon for me to sit at work and throughout the night accumulate anywhere from 200-400 full total reps on it (#1), with three minutes in between each set.  I did the above workout at least twice a week for almost a year before I felt like I was severely overtraining.  Once I felt like I was overtraining with two workouts a week, I switched to one a week.  I made up for the once weekly workout by upping the total reps to anywhere from 300-450 per workout.  About six months ago, on a 16 hour shift, I accumulated 600 full total reps on the #1.  One week later, after closing it for 37 consecutive reps, the spring snapped in the middle of attempting rep #38.  So after all that abuse, I felt like I had gotten my money's worth out of a $20 gripper! :D

IronMind mentions a limited one year warranty on the grippers. However, I have heard of at least one case where IronMind replaced a #2 that broke after a few years of use.