Sledges!

MalachiMcMullen

I finally got around to buying some more equipment and in this case it was sledge hammers, an 8 and a 10er. I can't seem to find any 6, 12, or 16's anywhere. I went to Lowe's for the ones I have now but all they had were 8 and 10's, where did you guys go for the bigger sledges? I can lever the 10 to my face for about 3 reps so I'm thinking the 12 may be in sight soon once I get one!

I got my 16lb one at Home Depot. I also saw a 20lber available from Ace hardware online. That was the largest I found without moving into the more expensive specialty/exercise hammers.

Tractor Supply often has sizes from 6-8-10-12-16 and sometimes 20s. Don't buy fiberglass handles - they suck for this stuff but are great for working hammers.

Tractor Supply

Farm and Fleet

ACE

Local small hardware stores, especially in farm country

Lowes

Home Depot

Atomic Athlete especially for bigger and/or specialty

Yard sales and farm auctions sometimes have some really cool post mauls etc that are almost impossible to find new anymore

Or you can make a ghetto hammer and just duct tape plates to the head.

ghetto hammer :yikes:yikes:yikes

I like the ones they have at Ace myself. When I finally break down and get a few Sledges (i.e. more then the very old 12lb I have), I'll probably buy from there. The brand they carry (at least in my area) has handles that are much rounder then others, which makes it more comfortable to use. Just my thoughts...

this topic reminded me of a pic i'd seen...

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?automod...si&img=4485

reminded me of a custom-made one:

Lol - I dont use that hammer much :whacked Iirc, the head is near 70lbs and the shaft about 30lbs - all solid roundstock. Its impossible to swing a hammer that heavy and its really just a novelty (for me anyhow). I have one of the 30lbers from Torque Athletic that works great though. I just need to quit being a lazy ass and use them.

Lol - I dont use that hammer much :whacked Iirc, the head is near 70lbs and the shaft about 30lbs - all solid roundstock. Its impossible to swing a hammer that heavy and its really just a novelty (for me anyhow). I have one of the 30lbers from Torque Athletic that works great though. I just need to quit being a lazy ass and use them.

you pick it up :tongue and the good lord will put it down

Maidenfan, it looks like you handle it quite well. I think you're ready for this one . ;)

Check out this page for a wider selection from the Torque Athletic website Maidenfan got the 30 pounder from.

The Torque Athletic hammers are very nice, but very expensive and you still have to have it shipped. Just go down to the metal scrapyard and buy the metal and have one welded. I think I did my 100lber for around $100 or so and I paid somebody to weld it. I have some buddies that weld, but didnt trust them to weld that thick of metal. A 30-50lber could be bought and welded tons cheaper than Torques.

Edited by maidenfan

I was actually thinking of making some bigger solid hammers. Maybe do a 30, 40, 50. Any interest?

John, you always come up with the coolest toys. Yes I'd buy big hammers from you.

I finally got around to buying some more equipment and in this case it was sledge hammers, an 8 and a 10er. I can't seem to find any 6, 12, or 16's anywhere. I went to Lowe's for the ones I have now but all they had were 8 and 10's, where did you guys go for the bigger sledges? I can lever the 10 to my face for about 3 reps so I'm thinking the 12 may be in sight soon once I get one!

Home Depot for a 16, but it has a fiberglass handle.

Get a good quality full length wooden sledge hammer handle, and adapt it to hold Olympic plates instead of a hammer head. That way you can have any weight you want.

Get a good quality full length wooden sledge hammer handle, and adapt it to hold Olympic plates instead of a hammer head. That way you can have any weight you want.

I thought about that while I was in Home Depot because for some reason they didn't have any sledges? I asked an employee and they said they don't usually carry anything bigger than a 10 or 12 usually and when I looked where he said they were all I could find were replacement handles, figured I'd try Lowe's first though and my 10er has a fiberglass handle :dry oh well it works just fine for me. Thanks for all the replys guys!

along those lines, a length of black pipe can be found at the depot to fit almost perfectly either exercise or olympic plates. Weld a stop collar, leave room for plates and another removeable collar and you're set. cheap, rugged - done

~Steve

Edited by Revtor

That looks great Oldguy! How did you make it? It would be neat to make one myself! ~J