Hello - new to the board

Guest mg6680

Guest mg6680

Hello...Nice to finally find a site for gripping.  A couple of questions...I have a goal of closing the #3 by the end of the year.  I'm about 3/4" (kinda funny how 3/4" is a mile when your closing a grip) from closing it now and was curious if by the end of the year was a realistic goal (I'm not an animal, but I do specific grip training every four days).  

I've tried numerous training routines but once every four days is all my fingers can handle.  I've got most of the hand strength equip from IM and was hoping you experts might give me a few tips.

I generally always do some pinching and crushing in my routines.  I usually rotate from my pinch block to my hub block every other routine and use the CoC every workout.  I'll finish with a wrist roller.  I've recently started including some extensions.

I guess I could wait til my copy of Brookfield's book comes but I've been told there really isnt any routines covered.  Again, nice site.

Morgan

3/4" by the end of the year...that makes 3/16" each month until the end of Dec....I think it's doable if you haul ass. From what I've heard, you'll have to do things that others will think is crazy to be able to close the #3 in any length of time. I've found that I've made my best gains by doing some crazy stuff.

PS welcome a-BOARD :) hahahahahaha get it? hahahahahaha :D

I've tried numerous training routines but once every four days is all my fingers can handle.  I've got most of the hand strength equip from IM and was hoping you experts might give me a few tips.

I am not an expert (I can barely get my #3 past parallel), but you might try reducing the volume of your gripper training and increasing the frequency (every other day or even every day).  I am making better progress since I cut my volume and switched to training every other day, from twicw a week.

Robert

Right on the nail Robert !

I train everyday too (in fact, I rest on saturday). However, my volume is pretty high and the intensity is scary.

MG6680, many grip board members are switching to 6 days a week routines. I was in disbelief at first but believe me, it would have took me one more year to close the #3 on a 2-3 days a week routine.

Guest mg6680

Thanks for the replies...I'll try the more frequent, lower volume training.  I've actually just switched to twice a week - pinching one session and crushing the next.  I've never utilized straps or heavy negatives either (#### good info here).  Negatives (old age too) have always increased my recovery rate tremendously and I've never had the patients to wait that long between sessions - maybe the hands will be different?

mg,

Do you have a grip machine?  If not, get one.  This will help in your grip training fourfold.  My grip gains skyrocketed once I started in on a grip machine (the SW) and going as hard and as heavy as I could.  Grippers only do so much, and yes.... there are some guys who became certified COC's without them.  My take is that you need one, as Kinney would say, "to go beyond the range".  You hand MUST get become accustomed to that pressure; you achieve that through a plate-loaded grip machine.  You then vary the resistance as you progress.  Then that #3 will fall!    ;)

Welcome to the   board :) Your recovery ability  in combination with your imagination ( resourcefulness ) will determine whether or not you  will achieve your   goal. I   echo  Snots sentiments... hand conditioning  is  imperative