Best grip for martial arts?

Guest Brian S

Guest Brian S

In my Martial Arts training I sometimes need to grab an oponents forearms.

What is the best exercise/equipment to develop this kind of strength?

Thanks,

Brian S.

If you need to get good at grabbing things, why not grab things? Try sack grabbing or sand grabbing. Get a little sack, fill it with sand or little screws, toss it & snatch it out of the air like a bird of prey. For sand grabbing, get a bucket full of something & either jam your hand in as far as it will go, or grab a handful as quickly as possible, just as you would if you were grappling with an opponent. To add difficulty, use a heavier bag to grab & coarser sand.

It may depend on the art.  I do a lot of thick bar stuff (barbells and dumbells simulate the opponents wrist), some pinching, pronate/supinate, and I work the grippers.  I do it primarily for grappling.  I work in the gym for base strength and then practice it dynamically on the mats.

dyoder16

hi guys I did not know we had ma on the grip board any judo or bjj players out there. If so where do you find the time to lift grip and grapple. I am lucky to hit my bag for 3 rounds twice a week along with my lifting and gripping. have not rolled on the mat for over a year.. I am a easy mark for a triangle choke :)

Guest dennisap

Seriously,I agree with Nathan.You could also have someone or something throw the (little) sand bags to you.Of course be careful when doing this.Wear a motorcycle helmet.