Whats the most impressive form of grip strength?

Guest scott essery

76 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the most impressive form of grip strength?

• crushing
    • pinching
    • thick bar
    • wrist strength

Guest 115-1005574997

with the success of the Iron Grip Championships and the performance of some truly amazing lifts, what do YOU consider the most impressive form of grip strength

Guest Mikael Siversson

Having seen the video that Arne filmed i was equally  impressed by Steve's 83 kg thick handle lift, Jim's vertical bar lift and David's 115 kg pinch (especially the way he ripped it off the floor with great speed). The TTWC is not a crowd pleaser as it is a very short range lift.

Guest 115-1005574997

Though the TTWC isnt very interesting to "watch" isnt the idea of 665.5lbs pressing down on your hands and pushing your wrists into a block of wood impressive?

so what did you think of the day?

I'm not sure what category this would belong to but the very heavy short range lifts off the floor, 1Handed Lifts, Dinnie Lifts, V-Bar lifts etc. The type of lifts that demonstrate very little technique yet enormous strength.

Guest 115-1005574997

Faz

I realised i neglected partials after i posted! doh!!!!  :blush

Jims vbar and the dinnie stone lift record you briefly held and Daves 335k 1HL are something special

Most "impressive" is probably crushing. Most usefull, any of the other three. I don't know why but crushing has an appeal or sexyness that is probably recognized in every culture of the world. I bet you could walk into some primative tribe somewhere and impress everyone with a big crushing grip. It just seems to have a universally recognized sexyness to it ...

Mike M.

Hi Scott

The most impressive form of grip strength to me,would be

holding strength,anybody that can manhandle the inch,like

Chris James is doing deserves respect,dont get me wrong,

Davids near continental,and stevesthick bar and rolling thunder

Jims v-bar,and all the people so close to the 4#,all deserve respect,but since i got me inch replica and was greatly humbled by it,i realize the raw power it must take to achieve what Chris has,i bet hes about 100lbs body weight,less than

Mark Henry.

I am most impressed by the things I cannot do such as plate curl a 45 or break 60 d nails. A pinch grip lift with one hand of 2 x 45 staggers me too.

The question arose as a result of the Iron Grip Competitiion. In the comp several lifts were made which I think Scott felt were 'out-there'. Of those the one in which the most weight was moved was the TTWC. David Horne was able to flex his wrist with other 600 pounds - about 200 more than anyone else. I was able to 'cup' my hands with 83 kilos, just 15 or so kilos more than some. Jim was able to V-Bar lift 40ish kilos more than some. Therefore most thought the TTWC was the most impressive.

Whether the 'Real world' lifters etc would agree is another matter. Its very much like the CoC 3 or CoC 4. Until you've tried them they're 'just grippers'. Once you have a go they command more respect. Give a 600+ pound TTWC a spin and see how you feel.

Nuff said? I hope so.

It doesn't really matter what the most impressive single lift is. In competition it's about ALL ROUND GRIP STRENGTH. Something David Horne continues to prove to everyone.

Nick

One of the most impressive things I was witness to was Jesse Murande closing a #3 gripper in his right hand and left hand at the same time. I took a picture of it and sent it in to "Milo"

One of the most impressive things I was witness to was Jesse Murande closing a #3 gripper in his right hand and left hand at the same time. I took a picture of it and sent it in to "Milo"

One of our own here (terminator) closed two #3s at once at the AOBS.

Jeff T

I think it depends on what your definition of GRIP strength is.  If it were crushing strength then you’d just have six crushing events for example.  The British Champs tests all aspects of strength from the elbow down, the idea being that the person with the greatest all round ability is the champ. I think the amount of posts on this board that question wrist roller, sledge hammer and weaver stick exercises justify wrist strength as being a valid measure in a GRIP competition.  What’s your idea of GRIP strength?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mikael Siversson

Not many I would guess. A long palm and fingers gives you an obvious edge in any thick bar stuff, wheras a short palm is better than a long one in a lift like the TTWC. Wide hands are better than narrow ones in the pinch (more friction due to a larger (skin) surface area.

The #4 close by Joe Kinney is the most impressive grip feat ever performed in my opinion.  Anyone who's ever felt a #4 has to be humbled by it.  And the fact that it's been almost 4 years since he did it and still noone else has closed it adds to the greatness.  I'd go so far to say that less than 10 people will close it in the next 50 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Euclid,

You switched horses: anyone who has ever felt a

#4, then you speak of Kinney's 4.

Heath said my 4 was two tons harder than his. If

you tried mine and had not tried his, you might assume

all 4's were similar to mine. I assumed mine was

similar to his. It is not.

We have no idea where Kinney's fits in the curve- if

close to Heath's, it would be fair to say, it is/was

less of an accomplishment that closing mine.

To anyone who answers that closing any 4 is remarkable,

of course, I assume it is. But some 4's are more 4orceful

than others.