Is thick bar lifting just a function of hand size?

Guest scott essery

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is thick bar lifting just a function of hand size?

• yes
    • no
    • depends
    • i duno?

Guest 115-1005574997

With some great thick bar lifting demonstrated of late and Steve's potential Rolling Thunder record it raises the issue of wether thick bar pounage is mearly a function of hand size?

Guest Mikael Siversson

It clearly helps to have long fingers in thick bar lifts. To some extent I believe that it is a disadvantage to have a long palm and long fingers when you close a gripper (the setting is easier but the closing becomes more difficult) so if both events are included in a comp. they sort of equalize each other.

I voted for "NO" - I do not believe it is merely related to hand size, although of course there will be a great correlation between the two (especially as the bar gets thicker).

Hmm. Jim has longer hands than me and lifts less, as did DH et al. So by that reasoning the answers no. As demonstrated at the Iron Grip on the proviso that you can 'hook' your hand enough for the bar to rest in it it then becomes an issue as to whether or not the weight is so heavy that the 'hook' breaks down - ie: the bar rolls out and over your now flattened fingers and drops to the ground.

However, as discussed with DH this very a.m. if the hands in question were fantastically long (ie 10"+) you might be able to use a hook grip. That would make it a whole new ball game and as Baraban Roberts said we just need to find a 7' plus giant and we're in biz.

If thick bar is not related to hand size, then why mention a

thick bar is being used?

Measure the length of your hand from middle finger tip to first

wrist line, for example, 7.5".

Now use a bar that is 7.5" in circumference.

If your hand length is 8", use a bar that is 8" circ.

Impractical? You bet.

Totally level playing field? You bet.

The 'more' of the bar you can encircle, the 'better' your grip

potential.

Steve, you are incredibly strong at thick bar, which is obvious

by the fact you surpass longer handed men. If those men were

required to use the formula I mentioned above, your strength would become even more obvious.

In the old days there was a requirement that the MINIMUM

bar diameter was 7/8". Why? Because the thinner the bar (within reason) the easier the grasp.

Load 150 lbs on a 1" diameter bar. One hand deadlift it.

Now use a 1.25" bar for the same weight, then 1.5" for the

same weight. At the point you fail, thick bar becomes meaningful because the amount of weight has not changed.

If thick bar does not matter in relation to hand size, then let's

not mention it. :crazy

Steve,

Have I read your post wrong. Did you say my hands are longer than yours? Anyway, no they are definitely not. You, Jim and Kalle's hand size are in a league of their own.

Still a great lift though.

David

Misunderstandings.

Roark: the original post referred to a thick bar being lifted so...

Others: my point was that there were both longer handed (Jim) and shorter handed (everyone else) who lifted less. So I'm either super (ok ok if you insist) or it doesn't matter (which I believe0.

Roark made much the same point as I did in that to some degree it does matter but I feel not as much. As before providing your hands are average, but not huge, you ought to be able to keep them 'cupped' under the weight. If you're strong they will stay cupped longer than a weaker person.

Don't get me wrong a stubby fingered bugger will have the weight roll no matter what.

However, as if to prove a point, how many (Scott I know I showed) lifted more cos of the little trick I showed them?

Steve,

I challenge you to a deadlift contest :D

We each one hand deadlift 172 lbs. You use the Inch replica.

I'll use a standard bar, non revolving. It would be the only way I could defeat you. But if hand size does not matter, then

of course, that is also saying bar diameter does not matter.

Apollon was so good at thick bars because they were NOT as

thick to his 9" hands, as they were to a 7.5" hand.

Inch did not vary the handle size on his four bells, he

varied the weight.

Try the Rolling Thunder with a 1" handle. Expect the result

to be different?

You are selling yourself short. Although we cannot offer bar circumferences for competition in tiny increments, most certainly the realitiy of those variances must be realized.

It would appear to be a huge factor. It's not the only factor, however. There is some weight that the balance between having only size or size and strength becomes important.

I doubt anyone, even a cert Cap of Crush, with small hands could palm a basketball. At the same time, I would guess some that that can palm a BB couldn't do much on rolling thunder, if they lack the hand strength..

Certainly not the only factor. Two men of exactly the same hand size, finger lengths, palm length/width etc, contesting

on the same bar size would yield the wildcard: strength.

Alot of the differences in opinion seem to come in the way the poll question is phrased ("just a function of hand size?"). I don't think that there are any doubts that the larger your hand the larger the bar has to be to be to become a "Thick Bar", and theoretically the heavier you can lift on a given diameter thick bar.

I think to be exceptional at thick bar lifting you must have large hands and astrong grip.

Well done Steve thats one #### of a lift !!

I have very large hands that more than encircle a 2 3/8'' thick handle. It is a big advantage. I prefer bars of 2'' and 1'' bars are uncomfortably small. When all else is equal only then does strength alone decide things. Work with what you have been given.

Guest simon lodge

Hi all

I think hand size it does make a difference.

when i made my 2 3/8 thick handle for some of the lads down the gym to try we have a lad at the gym with hands as big as dinner plates, but he is not tremendeously strong on on most of the apperatus, but lifting the thick handled dumbbell he is in a class of his own also i gave him the COC 3 to try on his second or third attempt with it he closed it with a little help with the other hand.  

;)  ???

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I tried using a thumbless or "hook" grip when lifting my Inch loadable handle and I discovered that my hand is too wide for the dumbbell when I do this. I have a fairly tough time when lifting with bars that are 2 3/8 or larger, yet I love to pinch lift very wide surfaces. I regularly pinch 5 Olympic 10 pound plates that measure just under 4.5 inches across. I seem to be stronger in this wide pinch position.