Affect of particular exercises on forearm?

Guest archaicmaelstrom

Guest archaicmaelstrom

Hey Grip enthusiasts,

A little background on my question:

As I have worked out longer and longer, I have tried to refine my techniques to maximize my gains, and discovered how much a small difference, say, in upper pect development in relation to lower pect dev. can affect overall physique and the aesthetic shape and 'look' of a muscle (group). In books, like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Bodybuilding Encyclopedia, Arnold goes into specifics as to define your biceps, or say gain proper proportions in the quadricep heads.

Now, I assume this would be the same case with the forearms, but lacking time at grip training, I don't know how particular execises affect the shape of the forearm muscle.

For instance, does doing lots of pinch work make the wrist bigger? What about grippers? do they make your hand actually wider and thicker?  If you strengthen your fingers must it not make your forearms thicker?

Further, are there any exercises for adding the most mass to the forearms?

I'd appreciate feedback on what you guys think.

Thanks, Rob

well, someone else can probably give a more detailed answer to your (?), but as far as my training goes, i have noticed an increase in hand width. mostly around the thumb muscle, and side of the hand. i dont think there is enough muscle in the fingers them selfs to realy grow. mostly the hand, ( to my knowlage) is ligiments and tendons. i am almost certain that the wrist does not grow much at all.    ;)  hope that helps a lill

The fingers have no muscle in them what so ever, only muscle tendons.  the only way that the fingers would noticeably grow is if the individual bones grew in girth.

Guest Canthar

There are muscles in all of the fingers.

Thumb:   Abductor Pollicis Brevis

Abductor Pollicis Longus

Flexor Pollicis Brevis

Opponens Pollicis

Index: First Dorsal Interosseous

Middle: Second Dorsal Interosseous

Ring: Second Palmar Interosseous

Small: Third Palmar Interosseous

These muslces can grow in size though it takes a long long time to see significant changes.

Nic

Guest archaicmaelstrom

Cool.

It's good to hear what your experiences are...

So, do you guys think that exercises like fingertip pushups are great to work the entire grip and forearm? Would this not increase the size of the fingers, wrists, palms, and forearms?

This reminds me of that old wives tale about how popping your knuckles makes them fat.   :crazy

Having a strong grip is no indication of a large, powerful forearm and vice versa.  I had big forearms and no grip whatsoever until I started work with the grippers.  You could make an arguement for Bruce White; thin man, thin forearms, but what a powerful amazing grip!!   ;)

What are you doing NOW to build your forearms?  What are you doing to build your grip strength?  Your wrist strength?  Put down that Ah-nuld book and get to work, young man!!  Reading about it and doing it are two different things - get into the gym and apply that knowledge!!!   :D

That being said.... the great and mighty Sybersnott has spoken!!   :crazy  :hehe  :p

Guest archaicmaelstrom

Actually, today I just did reverse forearm curls, followed by foreward/backwards wrist curls. Then, I did behind the back barbell wrist extensions. Following that, I did pinch holds with 25 pound plates till exhaustion, about 5 sets with 3 drops allowed per hand (ie hold till failure, 5 sec rest, then again, then again, then next hand). Then I finished with a 10 pound plate till my palms ached, another 5 sets.

I used my piece of crap sports store grippas when I got home, starting with left hand, for 3 sets of as many as I could do.

I have an ironmind catalogue, now, and I'm going to get some trainer, #1 and #2 grippers, which I think should get me going into some real grippers. I want some of those eagle talon finger things which you can hook up to like a chinning bar or deadlift bar, so I can really develope finger strength.

I'm in kung fu, so aside from the finger tip pushups, this is all my grip work

Can you, syberscott, give me some advice to help my routine?

This is basically most of what I do.

Guest Canthar

What style of Kung Fu are you studying? Plate pinching is good but, you might want to work with hub lifting the positioning is more applicable to claw techniques and even praying mantis both northern and southern. Once your wrists are strong enough  you can also look into leverage bar work to include twists.

Nic

KungFu?   you need strong wrists so your wrists don't buckle on punches..  Go for some lever lifts (sledgehammer,pipes, etc) to build up some strong wrists..  

IMHO..

~Steve

Guest archaicmaelstrom

I study Wing Chun Style Kung Fu, thanks for asking Canthar.

Can you give me details on form and technique for hub lifting,

lever lifting, and leverage bar work to include twists?

Oh, and will forearm curls (foreward and reverse) strengthen the wrists to prevent buckling during a punch? So far, simple knuckle pushups are what I've been doing to try and thicken my wrists up.

Also, do most guys do farmers' walk at the gym for palm strength?

I wanted to, but I'm not sure if I'll look like a fool walking around the weight benches. (And what happens if the grip fails and the weights go flying?!?)

Guest dennisap

I'm new to the board.I've been reading some of the posts.It's great.

Ever try Finger tip push ups?Since I'm not tht involved in martial arts/CQC any more I don't really do them much.Deadlifts of all sorts are also great.Farmer's walks  and leverage bar stuff too.

I don't have access to a COC grippers or any good grippers so I make do with what I have.

Anyway nice board :)

archairmaelstrom-

To learn about lever lifting go to www.bigsteel.iwarp.com  Tom Black's web site is outstanding.

Wrist curls are good for forearm size but if wou want strong wrists  a sledge hammer is worth it's weight in gold.  Start with a 6lb., you can always add weight later with an ax handle protector.

If you want to do somethin in the gym do it!  Don't worry about what other people will think.  Do the farmers they are great.  If your grip start to go set the weight down.

When you do your Ironmind order get Brookfields book Master of Hand Strength.  This book will flood your brain with great new ways to strengthen all aspects of your grip.

Good luck,

-HH

the Bat jaum Dao and look dim boon kwoon are two excellent ways to train for wing chun wrist strength, if you know what i mean arch...