Weaver Stick

hab34buy

Well, a while back I made myself a new Weaver Stick, as in some form or another I have always had one as I like the exercise. This was one of the first things I did to train the wrist and forearm, even before I started to get a little more serious about grip as a whole. My newest one is the proper length, with the wire that holds the weight at the right setting, etc.... but that is beside the point.

The point is the following that I wanted to throw out, and see what people's response is:

1) Do you train with a Weaver Stick?

2) If so, what kind of carryover do you see to other types of grip/forearm exercises?

3) Do you think that other exercises are better? (i.e. is the Weaver Stick for training or for records sorts of things in your mind)

I know that at least a few people did train this (I searched a couple old posts), but times and training change. I also have read about the mindboggling numbers of a certain person (Mobsterone), which certainly supports the usefulness of the strength required and gained (my wrist would more then snap at that weight < < ). However, I'm basically curious if people currently train this at all, or at least still favor the exercise even if they drifted away from doing it.

Many thanks from the ever curious newbie...

~J

Edited by jw7

I can't answer your questions but I'll bump this in hopes that someone can. I really don't have a clue what a weaver stick is. My best guess is something like a sledge hammer used for levering. I've seen it mentioned a few times but have no idea what it looks like or how it's used in training/competition. If it's something that can be made by nearly anyone I might be interested in attempting my own.

I can't answer your questions but I'll bump this in hopes that someone can. I really don't have a clue what a weaver stick is. My best guess is something like a sledge hammer used for levering. I've seen it mentioned a few times but have no idea what it looks like or how it's used in training/competition. If it's something that can be made by nearly anyone I might be interested in attempting my own.

Gumster, first time for me trying to link so don't know if it will work Click Here. This is just one site I have seen with Weaver Stick info, maybe there are better ones others know of, don't know. They are easy to make and fun for use.

Still, for anyone else reading who uses one, feel free to mention stuff :tongue

1) No, i use sledgehammer. That is very same with that weaver stick when you do front levers.

2) When some part of you forearm come stronger, your entire grip will be stronger more or less.

3) I don't know. Use those exercises that you like. For example now you can choose sledge or that weaver stick and test which you like more.

As good as I may have bee, still might be or will be tomorrow it's worth remembering that some events are only practiced by me for competition. The weaver stick is one such event. I haven't done properly it for years but can still easily bother forward and reverse (esp reverse) lever a 12-16lb standard 1" diameter ez curl bar.

While there might indeed be a crossover of strength and muscle gains by doing the lift I have not done it for at least 2 years. The closest recently has been the sledge hammers and or axe to the face very strictly. As I've been lowering them I take one finger off (pinkie) then another (ring) hold the weight in position then adding fingers as I pull the implement back up. I have, as a test, also done the same weighted tools from out in front and back to vertical. This is very, very hard for me - but doable.

I have, as a test, also done the same weighted tools from out in front and back to vertical.

I'm not sure I know what this means, in terms of out in front and back to vertical. Does this mean that the sledge handle and your arm form a straight line?

Thanks for responding by the way, it's always nice when the WR holder responds regarding an exercise (man the Gripboard rocks!).

The weaver stick is very fun. To the front, 8 pound plus is very damn good.

And really, I don't always use it as a training lift. But it is just another fun wrist thing to do. Whatever holds your attention.

I have, as a test, also done the same weighted tools from out in front and back to vertical.

I'm not sure I know what this means, in terms of out in front and back to vertical. Does this mean that the sledge handle and your arm form a straight line?

Yes. More or less. I've tried starting from the out postition and it's very painful - far easier to lower to the out position and then back again.

Ouch! Lowering it that way puts the hurtin' on my tendons... though that probably means it's good for strengthening them :shifty . Impressive stuff! Thanks for the info.