Safety Squat Bar

MARKR

I have one too - its very comfy to squat with on the shoulders. It carries the weight high on the back though - something to think about. If you get a decent quality one, they are expensive too, iirc I paid close to $400 for mine a few years back. They are also nice to isolate the quads as you can keep your back perpendicular to the ground and use the legs only to squat (usually have to hang on to the rack to do this though).

Oldguy/Maidenfan

Thanks for the response what do you think of this one

http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store/item/..._Squat_Bar.html

I was hoping it would maybe get my squat moving again and be a change of pace

Mark

Hard to say, as I have no experience with that bar. Mine is a solid bar w/non revolving ends - they're also slightly smaller than 2" so normal spring collars wont work. Its about 65lbs in weight. As long as its a solid bar, it should be fine.

Oldguy/Maidenfan

Thanks for the response what do you think of this one

http://www.gymequipment.uk.com/store/item/..._Squat_Bar.html

I was hoping it would maybe get my squat moving again and be a change of pace

Mark

Hard to say, as I have no experience with that bar. Mine is a solid bar w/non revolving ends - they're also slightly smaller than 2" so normal spring collars wont work. Its about 65lbs in weight. As long as its a solid bar, it should be fine.

I was wondering if there was anything i need to look for in a safety squat bar, some ive seen dont have that big a camber.Im sure this one will be fine

Thanks

Mark

My gym has one, and I use it for box squatting, love it, teaches me to keep my back straight, the only thing it leaves red marks on my shoulders, my wife doesn't like that.

MARKR

Anything that Watsons make is 1st class they have been in business for a long time definately one of the better places to buy from in the UK.

I have the crepinsik saftey squat bar the original.

If the bar is cambered right it will force you to have to really fight to keep your upper back straight.

The one in your link looks like a regular small cambered squat bar with yokes on it which is ok if want a more comfortable way of squatting or have bad shoulders.The camber should be out in front the same direction as the yoke which makes the feeling similar to a front squat.A killer workout on the back top to bottom and the legs.

Edited by Steve B.

SteveB Thanks for that. I have read that the bar forces you forward which means your back etc need to work harder, the only concern I had was if the bar pushes you forward even when you resist it as your supposed to does this also mean the knees take some of the strain ?

mark, if you get the watsons one could you post a little review, as im tempted to get one in the new year, and i like their work. thanks

mark, if you get the watsons one could you post a little review, as im tempted to get one in the new year, and i like their work. thanks

Egg uk Yes will do , the bar quality will be great im sure .Ive bought alot from Watsons and the stuff is solid, the thick grip pro dumbbell in my gallery is from Watsons, they are currently making me a 2" v-bar and telegraph key, aswell as a 100kg welded olympic dumbbell with 2" grip, one of the reasons why im selling alot of stuff on here.If the girlfriend finds out my life won't be worth living and the excuse of 'oh ive always had that' is wearing a bit thin with her :laugh

So from what I have gathered the bar needs to angle out about 15 degrees where the collars are this causes the bar to force you forward and changes the leverage compared to a regular squat , if your upper and lower back are not strong enough to prevent this your not going to squat much, Oldguy you must have a strong back maybe from the SSB

Thanks for all the help

mark, i ordered a 2.5" olympic dumbbell from them a week or two ago, after speaking to you, so hopefully that'll be here soon, and i got a loading pin from them a while ago. i had noticed you have been selling a lot of stuff lately, thought you were giving up training. but selling some to buy more is worthwhile, just buy her something and she'll forgive you

mark, i ordered a 2.5" olympic dumbbell from them a week or two ago, after speaking to you, so hopefully that'll be here soon, and i got a loading pin from them a while ago. i had noticed you have been selling a lot of stuff lately, thought you were giving up training. but selling some to buy more is worthwhile, just buy her something and she'll forgive you

Thanks , the stuff is very good and a good price it was thanks to Steve Gardener who posted a link to Watsons a year ago that I found them.

I wonder if she would like a 2.5" thick bar from Watsons :whistel

i expect ill order a lot more from them in the future as well, need a power rack, then ill prob get a trap bar and then a SSB, been wanting a power rack for ages, but keep getting distracted and buying other things, you know how it is.

Well i bit the bullet and ordered one .I spoke to Simon at Watsons today so it should arrive in 3-4 weeks, he said they have been selling very well.It will be interesting to try it.