Is it cheating?  and a comment.

Guest camjakbx3x

Guest camjakbx3x

I'm about 0.5 cm away from closing the #2.  Thus far, I haven't used any chalk because I wasn't sure if it was cheating.  Anyway, I'm so fed up with the darn thing slipping when I almost get it closed that I'm tempted to use the chalk.  Any comments would be appreciated.

And now for my comment.  I'm 5'5" on a good day and go about 160 lbs soaking wet.  As far as I'm concerned, having a phenomenal grip is the great equalizer.  Sure, some big clown may squat, bench, and curl more than I can, but as soon as I get my hands on him it's game, set, and match -- unless it's a COC;  then I'm in trouble.  But seriously, it's a great feeling to shake hands with some overgrown, overbearing goon and watch him squirm a bit when I bear down.  As soon as I put the #3 down I'll make them scream.  Just my $0.02.

It's legal to use chalk with the CoC grippers. Using it is not cheating. I don't know if any other substances are allowed or not.

camjak,

What kind of gripper are you using?  If it's an IronMind... I'm surprised your getting that kind of slippage.  What happened to the knurling on your gripper?

I never use chalk on my grippers.  The first time I tried a "chalked gripper" was Tom Black's #3 at the AOBS.  I haffta admit - I liked it.

camjak I was in the exact same boat up until last friday. I've consistently been about 2mm from closing my #2 for the last fortnight or two, and it had been slipping all over the place so I thought chalk might be the go.

So last friday I chalked it up and.... 2mm. Maybe it was because it was the end of the training week but the chalk did nothing, felt nice, but didnt do much to help.

i use chalk for everything, it's the only way i've found to keep my hands dry.  and when you're working out outside in the south in the middle of summer that tends to be fairly difficult to do.  ironmind's rules say that chalk is legal, but tacky and rosin aren't

I can't imagine the gripper slipping on me with all that sharp knurling, but maybe if you have a small hand and have to "set" the gripper it becomes one?  I just pick them up and squeeze.

Robert

RSW,

I don't know why but I just don't find the knurling sharp enough for my liking. Everyone else who uses my grippers finds them rough on the hands and complains, but they just slip around for me.