Rippin Coins

popeye76

has anyone heard of anybody being able to rip a quarter in half. a couple of people at work said they have seen it done a while back. i told them they were crazy, i find that hard to believe. i have never seen or heard of that being done. that would require out of this world finger and thumb strength. i guess you would go about rippin a quarter like you would rippin a peice of paper. what do you all think?

The Mighty Atom could bite coins in half, but I don't think anyone could rip one in half.

Yeah I think that's one of the things Brookfield mentions in MOHS as being a bit of an urban myth - plenty of people have heard about it being done, but they can never actually say who, or where.

has anyone heard of anybody being able to rip a quarter in half. a couple of people at work said they have seen it done a while back. i told them they were crazy, i find that hard to believe. i have never seen or heard of that being done. that would require out of this world finger and thumb strength. i guess you would go about rippin a quarter like you would rippin a peice of paper. what do you all think?

It never happened. The few that looked like they could can also palm / switch coins. Bend yes - tear no.

Don't know what the coins are like, but i just toyed around with a vice and a 5 €ct coin and it's hard to believe such a coin is going to be bend or even broken by human.

Before 1964, US $0.25 pieces were made of solid silver. I can see that they'd be easier to bend, but I still don't think they'd break easily, let alone "rip."

There is an old thread on this topic I remember reading it awhile back. There was a guy who clamied to be able to rip a quarter in half and it turned out that he switched coins.

I dont think it would be possible to rip a coin.

Just as others said: I think with some insane strength a bend is possible (especialy possible for silver coins), but a rip is impossible without trickery.

More PISH, the internet is full of it!

Precisely. I recall reading (possibly in Milo) where some strength fans had seen a tale and hunted down the named 'coin tearer' within only to meet him and realize he was tearing them in a vise and switching them by palming. I've seen up close a coin bent by Steve McGranahan at the CoC event but no coin tears.

Yes I have the coins I passed to Steve McGranahan, who then bent them in his teeth right in front of me, and then handed them back to me. Steve is the REAL deal, of course as we all know.

But tearing is just BS.

David

Big Steve bent an english penny for me and Mike Dooley at the breakfast table in a napkin i drilled a small hole through mikes and he weres it on a necklace around his neck.

Nobody is bending or tearing quarters. Big Steve does bend them in his mouth, which is amazing, but I'm talking about bending them with your hands, along the same way you would bend a bottle cap.

doubt it can be teared. but i guess it could be snapped. would be hard tho :E

It's quite a job to do putting one in a vice and using a pair of pliers actually, I just tried it.

I'm a magician, and ripping a coin in half sounds like a typical thing magicians use to do. My guess is that they saw a magician who didn't tell them he was a magician.

I spoke with Terry Todd who drove "hours" to see a man that was for years famous for the ability of bending a quarter. With a "lot" of fanfare and video set up the man did what he said... but, after the feat was done.. he was "caught" on video doing a slight of hand trick with the then "unknown" to him marked test quarter. Quite a fiasco! I was however given by The Great Joe Rollino a quarter he bent with his fingers while he held it in his vicelike jaws. The crowd with him verified they personally saw him do the feat several years before (her was nearly 100 when he gave it to me) At the Old time Strongmans dinner a few years ago performer "Stanless Steel"Pliskin put a slight bend into a penny before me and the crowd. All in all, it may be humanly possible by a VERY well trained individual who specializes in that feat not the "average" strongman or powerlifter grasping a coin and then bending it. I might add most feats in the realm of grip DO (I think) depend on a certain amount of technique to assist natural available strength (ie: shutting a #3 gripper) RS

an bodybuilder strongman mike dayton used to bend coin and break them. back in the late 70 and early eightys. he used to hang himself while being handcuffed behind and he used to break the cuffs off etc etc. he used to do it in front of audience.