Gripinator vs. atlas

HAMMERHEAD

Gripinator vs. Atlas

I'm looking for some feedback from those who have used both of these grip machines by PDA.

Don't tell me to go to the web site and read the review's,  I have already.

I plan on getting one of these; however, I am trying to find the best dollar for dollar.

The Gripinator with all the extra bells and whistles is considerably more expensive than the Atlas.  Both look outstanding for working your way up to the next level gripper.

-HH

Pretty much every flaw/improvement that was learned from the Atlas went into the Gripanator.

I hope this answers your question.

I have an atlas, and I like it.  The gripinator is definitively better though.  The one thing the atlas has going over the gripinator is price.  With all the extras, you would easily pay over 100$ more for a gripinator.  If you can afford this, and don't mind the wait, the gripinator is probably the best choice.  However if your funds are too tight, the atlas will get you where you need to go if used diligently.  Hope this makes things a little more clear

RIOTGRIP

How much difference,have you noticed in your crushing grip,

since useing the Atlas,also do you use it with the cocs or instead of,Cheers.

Gazza,

I received a gripinator from PDA 2 weeks ago and I have been training with it every other day doing 5x5 and finishing with 3 heavy negatives. I am training the ROM from 2" to close.  If I open up the sweep to 3" I find it too hard to close with a useful weight.  I am really happy with it and have been adding 5/8lb. (~2.7 i.p.) each workout.  When PDA comes back from vacation they will send me a BTR handle, which should help in training the close.  Currently I am doing the  5x5 with 51.25lb right and 42.5lb left hand.  Last time I tried I was ~1/8" from closing my #2 Coc right handed.  I much prefer training on the gripinator to training with the grippers or even the supergripper.

Robert

Fellas,

thanks for the feedback, this is great.  I do like the Atlas, it seems for the price that it can't be beat; however, the gripinator does seem to outperform it.  

RSW, what are you using to add the 5/8 of a pound? ( ie. a small plate cut up or sand?)

Again, thanks for the imput.

-HH

RSW, what are you using to add the 5/8 of a pound? ( ie. a small plate cut up or sand?)

I use one 5/8lb Platemate (magnetic plate), but you could use some big washers instead.  I use the platemates for microloading dumbells and my sledgehammer.

Robert

Does anyone know if the 4.3:1 ratio I have seen cited for the Gripinator refers to i.p.?  I just noticed that PDA's Atlas table has a similar ratio but lists it in pounds.  Given where I am on the #2 gripper, the ratio would sound about right if it is in inch-pounds.  Or is the Atlas that much harder to close than the Gripinator?

Robert

RSW

Thanks for the details,how far away from getting the 2# was

you before useing the gripinator,and have you been able to add weight every time you have used the gripinator,also do you use the gripinator instead of,or as well as the grippers.

Thanks    Gazza........

Gazza,

Of the 7 workouts so far I have only failed to add weight for one (I missed a few reps in the 5x5).  I will try a #2 closure with fresh hands soon. So far I have only attempted after my workout, but still gotten the #2 as close as I had ever managed previously (~1/8").  I have plenty of strength in the sweep, so I think the beyond the range handle will really help when I receive it.  I think the the gripinator is doing a good job on the sweep as well, because I can now get my #3 past parallel, even without fresh hands.  If I can do 5x5 with 60lb I should be able to master the #2, when I get 5x5 for 90lb I should have a shot at the #3.

I am training with just the gripinator, and using the grippers to test my strength.  What options are you getting on your grippinator?  I gave up on going full custom because of the long wait and settled for a powder coated LX with the sweep adjustment (ERIAA ?) and have the beyond the range handle and olympic sleeve on order.

Robert

RSW

I have ordered the Gripinator LX,plus every extra on the list,

thought that i probably would not have the money again,plus

get it all at once,save on the airfair etc.

Ordered mine in may and if i would have been told then it was this long await,i would have ordered aGrex instead,or a

Millenium d/bell.

Anyway hope the wait is worth it!

Gazza,

I'd say the atlas has definately increased my holding strength.  I only use it for holds, but it is very effective for developing a strong sweep.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am starting to understand training with the Gripinator better, after a few weeks of using it.  It is effective, but it does not mimic the increase in torque as you close a gripper.  That is the difference between say, closed and parallel of a gripper is ~20%, but there is very little difference between the leverages of the gripinator at 1" vs. closed.

This means you should use lower poundages on the sweep vs. the close on the Gripinator.  For me, if I set the handles at max. width (~4"?) 15lb. is a challenging weight for 5 reps, but at 1" space 65lb. is fine for a 5x5 workout.  Since I am less than 1/8" from closing my #2 I will emphasize working the last 1" to close, for now.  I can get the #3 to within 1", so I should probably concentrate on the last 1" on the Gripinator until I am ready to train for the #4.

Robert

• 1 month later...
RSW

No,after 15weeks and excuse after excuse,i decided to cancel

and got my money back!

Actually PDA canned your order.  Not you.  And after all the...let's call it stuff on your end, they gave you a full refund.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding delivery time, the first batch of Gripanators had an admittedly long lead time. It was primarily due to fabricator bottlenecking. That fabricator was terminated based on that and other significant issues.

The multitude of G options created an obvious stocking quandary - how do you know what to have on hand when there are dozens of possible combinations? We have streamlined the options process as much as possible, and maintain a regular stock cycle. Currently, when a G order is submitted the client receives a completed summary, including S&H and a shipping target, for his order as-placed. He also receives a list of stock on hand that comes close to his order, along with the shipping targets. The customer has the choice, generally, to have shipment within 3-7 days or extend it until a unit with his specific options can be assembled.

The most popular model is the epoxy coated GLX with NAA, RAAA, ERIAA, SBTR and PAR - all of the meat, none of the fat. Drilled feet and the Oly sleeve are now quick add-ons, as are Aluminum handles.

This excerpt is from a recent email:

"We shipped three Gs last week, all on or ahead of schedule, all in 3-7 days

from receipt of order.

Nick Orlando has become a regular customer. He used to work with Arthur.

Loves his G.

This one was a primered Basic that shipped in two days:

----- Original Message -----

To: "'John Szimanski @ PDA'" <piedmont@fractionalplates.com>

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 9:42 AM

Subject: RE: ZZ FedEx Advance Shipping Notice

> Brenda/John:

>

> I received the Gripanator yesterday, and gave it a spin last night. It's a

> great tool--my compliments. Thanks, too, for the top-level customer

service.

>

> Gerry Hill

>

We no longer ship overseas due to specific problems with some those orders. One was so problematic, we canceled his order, mailed a 100% refund and let him keep a Super Gripper and two SOS grippers just to be rid of him. This after a false Postal loss claim that entailed several hours to address before the Post Office submitted proof of delivery. There were several much less annoying but time consuming shipment problems but that client in particular was the nail in the coffin for foreign shipments. We now ship anywhere on the US Mainland so the client can have his package forwarded to himself off the US Mainland by a friend, relative, company office, or picked up by the freight company of their choice. This is exactly what clients are doing. Following is a partial interchange with a customer in OZ (we had two freight picks for Aussie customers the same week). His epoxied G was ready to go within a week (allowing cure time for the epoxy), sooner than he could complete shipping pick up arrangements:

"> ----- Original Message -----

> From: "lockhead steve"

> To: "John Szimanski @ PDA" <piedmont@fractionalplates.com>

> Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 5:24 AM

> Subject: Re: G

>

>

> > Hello John,

> >

> > I wanted to let you know that I received my order

> > today and I am very impressed with the quality of both

> > the "G" and the fractional plates, I am sure they will

> > last a lifetime.  I will let you know from time to

> > time how I am progressing with the "G".

> >

> > Thanks again John and keep up the good work producing

> > such fine equipment.

> >

> > Yours in Strength,

> > Steve Lockhead.

> >

> >

> > --- "John Szimanski @ PDA"

> > <piedmont@fractionalplates.com> wrote:

> > > Hello, Steve

> > >

> > > DHL just picked up the package.

> > >

> > > Drivers name: Travis Degraffinreid

> > > Truck No.: 8042

> > > License Plate No.: (SC) 798NVT

> > >

> > > Good luck!

> > >

> > > John"

The Atlas has been discontinued because there is no point in stretching production capacity to make room for what turned out to be essentially, a development item. Input from Atlas users and gripmeisters in general pushed the Atlas into the G, which has yet to have any addressable critical comments regarding design improvements. The Atlas page remains on our website because it provides the background on development of G.

The Atlas  loading table continues to receive comments regarding the comparison with the COCs which are inserted based on their own advertised, questionable specifications. We have not and will not make any attempt to address the discrepancies created by others. There is no legitimate pressure to develop a similar table for G.