Sir snott

Roark

Sir Snott,

Couple of days ago while riding through gripland, I

thought someone asked you how much you could

wrist curl. Now I cannot find the thread.

So would you mind repeating your answer here? Thanks.

I usually work with a 55 pound DB and alternate with each wrist.  Three sets of 10.  I used this to build my forearms.

I try not to go too heavy on the wrist curls, because I tried that before and ended up with sore wrists.

Guest firstmark

It would be nice to have some comparison data between wrist curl poundages and what you can regular curl. Has anyone experienced increases in regular curls from increasing wrist curl strength?

Can people wrist curl 2 to 3 times what they can biceps curl?

Or are the poundages of the wrist and regular curl a bit closer proportion wise.

firstmark, I have found that my curl poundages did indeed increase when my wrist curl went up. Reason being you can flex the biceps and forearms simultaneously to help you get past the sticking point. You wanted an example of curl/wrist curl ratio, well here's mine. Best curl is 135 lbs for 6 reps and my best wrist curl is 80 lb dumbbell in each hand for about 6 reps. So in my case my wrist curl poundages are quite a bit higher than my curl ones, but not a large difference. My curls were done as strictly as I could but I always sway a little as I only weigh 180 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

I work wrist curls heavy every fifth day- almost never

work with the grippers, but on those rare days when I

grab a gripper, there is no improvement. Very little, if

any croosever value from wrist curls to grippers in my case.

Because the hand is not going through a closing range of

motion in the wrist curl would be the reason I suppose.

On the other hand closing grippers is of no help in wrist

curling. A parallel situation: The raise on toes with a barbell

will aid calf development but it will not develop any 'toe

closing' grip. :blush

Dan Peterson,

Knowing that you are a wrestler, what is your grip routine?  And do you do it as an afterthought to your regular wrestler workout?  Have you heard of any of these guys.... Dan John?  Frank Gotch?  George Hackenschmidt?  Matt Furey?

Sybersnott,

Have you ever included wrist curls with a plate in your forearm routine? If so, do you go heavy? I have noticed that by practicing plate wrist curls regularly, I have added a lot of size to my forearms. I either go heavy or light, but seem to get results from both systems. I do notice that when I go heavy, I also experience soreness in my wrists. It's a bit more than just being sore though, it feels almost like injury pain.