Toughest Gripper Closed In Us Contest

Bob Lipinski

So far, I know about the #4 closes at the BBB.

Second hardest is tough though without calibration. I have listed right now the Hard Elite closes at the MGC V. I know that the elite I used is pretty stout, only harder ones are some of the very recent ones from what I have seen.

I have noticed some elite closes at the GGC, any idea how my hard elite stacks with that gripper? Anybody who was at both contests have any input?

Well crap, I still count American lifts in other countries, or at least I have been.

Chad, what kind of gripper was it- Super Elite?

Well crap, I still count American lifts in other countries, or at least I have been.

It's make your mind up time. It's either the toughest closed in a US competition or the toughest closed by a US competitor. If its that loose a definition then you might include toughest closed by a overseas competitor in a US based event. I'd stick with those on home soil so as to not lose track or blur any record or achievement of a US athlete.

They were Martin A's calibrated grippers...and he might have to tell us 100% exactly. But I am sure they were both SE...maybe with different mountings.

Steve-

I count all US competitors regardless where they compete. I have not counted overseas competitors in US events. I suppose I will continue to do the same! Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Dave may have closed a BBSE at BBB2, but he was one of the 3 guys that closed a #4 at BBB1 I believe.

Also, I am pretty sure that at least one of Chad's closes was better than the Elite at my contest, but I will try to get better confirmation. If the SE was a 2.75"+ spread and 1/4" mount or less then I will leave it on the list.

They were Martin A's calibrated grippers...and he might have to tell us 100% exactly. But I am sure they were both SE...maybe with different mountings.

The 3.60 that was used on the 2007 MGC was a MM4 replica; the 3.81 was a BBSE!

Correct me when I'm wrong Martin.

The 3.60 that was used on the 2007 MGC was a MM4 replica; the 3.81 was a BBSE!

Correct me when I'm wrong Martin.

All grippers used at MGC is Arne's, except for the mm2 replica (3.14) and the mm4 replica (3.6).

Well Chad, now I am curious if your close was better than the #4 at the BBB.

The 3.81 was a very hard gripper...I guess get Dave M or Greg A to use their Redneck device and calibrate that #4 maybe to be sure. I think that it was Dave's #4 anyway...may be wrong though.

Several strong guys have closed that #4...so I am sure that it would calibrate high.

What does this 3.81 calibrate as on Greg/Dave's device? We need to compare pounds to pounds and it's needs to be on the same device as the readings can vary quite a bit.

That 3.81 rating is not really fully comparable to ratings of easier grippers used in the LGC/Euro competitions. We simply did not have anyone strong enough to calibrate it properly. David Horne did his best to come up with a figure. The 3.81 gripper might therefore be harder relatively speaking than its 3.81 rating (compared to the 3.60 gripper for example).

That 3.81 rating is not really fully comparable to ratings of easier grippers used in the LGC/Euro competitions. We simply did not have anyone strong enough to calibrate it properly. David Horne did his best to come up with a figure. The 3.81 gripper might therefore be harder relatively speaking than its 3.81 rating (compared to the 3.60 gripper for example).

Yes. The difference between the 3.60 and the 3.81 was very big.