What The Flock Is This Supposed To Be?

twig

I'll tell you what that is - That is why I don't believe half the feats I hear about from the old time strongman era.

I'll tell you what that is - That is why I don't believe half the feats I hear about from the old time strongman era.

Ditto

Tritto.

;)

Maybe 172lbs and 104lbs.

Because of this video, I am wondering:

Is there some specific thread or something where the old timers who are to be believed are listed? I'm kinda wondering where one could find the best source for actual grip feats. I really like getting inspiration from incredible feats and some of the old time folks are good sources... but only if they are real. Now I will say that there are quite a few folks on here (too many to list, and you know who you are) that are excellent inspiration, but I still wonder about the old timers. Just wondering...

~Jw

You guys are forgetting Commandment #1 of the iron game: "Thou shalt not question the old timers."

Yes, there was a bit of sarcasm there.

This is what I wrote about this film when I found it back in 2003

Rest of the article is here http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/historyarticles1.html

‘INCH BY INCH’

I.D. 1182.20 www.britishpathe.com 23 January 1939. Length of film 2 min 26 sec. B & W

Thomas Inch presents his famous ‘Unliftable’ challenge dumbbell. Well, this is what he states in the film, but anyone who has seen the 172lb original knows this is not that dumbbell. Please see film, and notice the protruding caps/collars on the ends of the globes of the dumbbell in his right hand, which of course the real dumbbell does not have. After Inch has talked about who hasn’t lifted this dumbbell out of the many who have tried he then gets his stooges to try, if you can call their laughable attempts trying! I doubt that these bells (because he even bent down and lifted another one when he had the Inch bell above his head) weighed more than 100lb and 70lb, instead of the 172lb and 104lb that they were stated as. Personally I thought it was sad to see such a sham, because after all is said and done Inch was a strong man, but not this strong, and definitely not at the 57 years of age he was here. The age of 57 is stated in the May 1939 Strength and Health magazine article ‘The Unliftable Dumbell’ written by Inch himself. So after Trevor Evans the 18 stone strongman and Wally May the trainer to the famous British boxer Len Harvey both fail to lift it (but I’d have to ask did they even really try?), Bill Evans of The Star newspaper then taps the globes with a hammer to show it is metal! After this charade, it is now set for Inch to do the business, which of course he does easily because frankly the weights are not what he states. I would say that this disappointing film illustrates to many of us that Inch never cleaned the proper 172lb bell. This is not to say that he never cleaned one of his lighter bells, and perhaps he could even deadlift the 172 pounder. But there is a big difference between cleaning a ponderous weight like the Inch bell and deadlifting it.