Kta Injuries?

Hazerboy

I started KTA vol 2. two weeks ago. I haven't even gotten to "Hell week" yet and already this thing is INTENSE. I was just wondering how prevalent injuries are during these high volume grip routines. Also, do you think they can be attributed to improper technique/form, inadequate warmup time, not enough "healing" time (contrast baths, massaging, etc), or injuries are just a necessary risk in any of these high volume routines?

I have done this routine and I know what you are talking about. The goal is to walk borderline of injury. If you do contrast baths it helps with the pain alot. Last time I had a deep pain all through the top of my forearm every time I let go of a block. I don't think you are going to hurt yourself if you do the routine properly and have done some pinching beforehand. That hell week is going to be brutal!!!! Don't quit. This sounds silly but it was taking me an hour and a half to finish the hell week workouts and I started visualizing Rick standing over my shoulder watching what I was doing and calling me a sissy if I didn't go and get me a little piece of that blob. For some reason I didn't want Rick to think I was a sissy. Wierd, I guess, but I finished every rep of that thing.

One thing I would advise is that when you are done and you take the rest week off, you are going to be dying to test your max. DON'T do a test day and until you are COMPLETELY sure you are fully recovered. It might take 1 week, 2 or even 3. Wait until you are completely healed and then wait a couple more days just to make sure. I came back to it too quickly and my hands are still not back to full strength because I kept testing/failing and then resting a couple more days and then testing too early again. So now I am doing NO grip until my hands are 110%. GOOD LUCK.

I started visualizing Rick standing over my shoulder watching what I was doing and calling me a sissy if I didn't go and get me a little piece of that blob.

Blob? Is that needed for the kta program?

They are talking about KTA vol.2 for blockweights.

They are talking about KTA vol.2 for blockweights.

OK. I missed the "vol.2"; thanks.

You'll have to tell me how that goes makey (as in how much you added to your max). Did you happen to add any mass to your hands/forearms? Thats not really what I was looking for when I bought the program, but most people report "meatier" hands after lots of block weight training.

Before the program I could lift my 37.5 blob chest high on a good day. I'm hoping to either be able to clean/jerk it, curl it, or add 5-10 lbs and pick it up no problem by the end of the program, but we'll see.

I've always wondered why these high volume, every day programs work so well for grip and are often TERRIBLE for regular weightlifting. I'm assuming it has something to do with the nature of the hand, i.e. your building mostly tendons/ligaments vs. muscles.

I will let you know Hazerboy. As I said I made the stupid mistake of waiting until I was 75% percent healthy (it FELT like 100% at the time) and testing, then waiting and testing so now I am giving myself several WEEKS off to make sure that I am 110% before I do anything again. I hope it didn't waste my effort from the program.....we will see. Before I did this program I could just barely lift my 35# block, but it is very very wide...it is wider than my 45# blob. (I have smaller hands) so I was hoping for a 10# increase, but we will see.

I did this program a year or so also when I was just started out and only had a 25# block weight. I added somewhere around 10-15 lbs to that lift, but I didn't have a lot of the appropiate tools at the time. This program is brutal and a lot of work and I hope it pays off for you.

As far as mass to my forearms, I am a fairly slim guy but it did seem like my forearms increased in hardness quite a bit and somewhat in size, but I didn't measure or anything. My thumb and pinky pad also increased in size slightly.