Mazurenko About Voevoda

Florian Kellersmann

I was surprised to read this from Igor Mazurenko in the forum on armpower.net. It's very negative about Alexey. Is there a conflict between them? What do you think?

Dear Rock,

Generally speaking, Alexey was in a good shape in Bulgaria. Good shape does not mean good enough to face John.

I don't mean John from Bulgaria in this year, but the legendary +100 kg John from the year 2006 and Zloty when I was quite sure he'll continue to dominate the armwrestling world for a long, long time.

Now, Voevoda seems somehow afraid and he does not want to stand up and fight. I understand him. He has worked hard for the reputation he has, not only in armwrestling as you know. This kind of fight might turn out to be just like the one with Travis two years ago.

I have seen by myself as Alexey tested his strength against John and he could do nothing. Semerenko, being in a fantastic shape could not move John anyhow.

In a nutshell, I do not believe this fight will happen, despite the fact that John will be ready for November this year. It is more likely that John will loose weight and fight Babaev than stand at the table againts Voevoda.

Take care,

Igor.

Hello.

Unfortunately, that's the way he always was, I am the one who knows him best. Yet in 2001, when he came to Zloty Tur for the first time, he had fear and discomfort deep inside. Well, that's what led him to the second place in open category and made him crawl to the first in +90 (there was such cat.). I think it is worth mentioning, that he got defeated by Cvetan

Gashevski in open category, who made a surprise with his technique. That's when Alexey's career started and the world heard about a promising Russian athlete.

You need to know, Alexey cannot loose a fight, because he is unable to stand the feeling of being defeated. Even having lost with Travis Bagent he did not admitt to have failed. He claimed it was a matter of too little preparation. He can not fight always and everywhere like John Brzenk. He always needs to be extra prepared. That is the difference between him and John who is always ready to face the challenge and stands failures like a man which Alexey will never learn.

Take care!

(Igor)

Susan: Alexey is the best in the world!!!

He won 6-0 !

I knew that. Noone can stand before him.

Travis, John... nobody has a chance

wooahh!!!

Igor:

Dear Susan,

You couldn't be further from the truth! Alexey has a long way ahead if he wants to become a real legend, such as John is. This is John who wins fight after fight since years. He never stopped armwrestling, he was never afraid of taking up a fight, even having lost weight, just like a real gentleman.

Remember my words, John is a guy who'll have a monument built up alive. I often watch his behaviour during our private meetings as well as when he meets the crowd. Thus, I can honestly say that John is a far more sympathetic person to armwrestling fans than Alexey who causes just converse reactions of the audience. Not so long ago he did not even want to have any kind of close relation with the audience, this is always a pitty.

As a promotor, I am unable to explain Voevoda that what he is doing does not help in his career. It is just the other way round, he strengthens the image of a "Russian Bear" that nobody can make a dialogue with. A person of such a personality cannot become a sport legend. If Alexey does not change his behaviour he may still be well known and liked around Russia, but never in the US and the rest of the world.

Take care,

Igor.

Well, what can I say? In 2005 I had to make lots of efforts and beg Alexey give a lift to Pulling John team and then change his mind to record his day- training, routines etc. for a movie which the team is trying to prepare since a long time ago. He does not get that this kind of behaviour damage his image. Alexey's star of fame may get extinguished because of the above mentioned actions and lots of similar ones.

Alexey does not want to understand that before or after a competition he has to be open and close to the audience and fans. His unsympathetic behaviour often pushes the crowds away, all the people who want to have a picture with him. That is the way it was in Bulgaria after his last fights where hundreds of fans came to John Brzenk, but Alexey did not earn their trust.

In a nutshell, if he does not give up and start PR work, his star will fall like many other's. I don't mean armwrestlers, among which he'll remain the great Voevoda, but simple fans who can not even come and ask him a question or take a photo.

In 2005 I organized a fight between Alexey and Travis in a town where armwrestling is not popular at all, in addition there was snow falling and at the same time there was a ski jumping competition in Zakopane (Adam Malysz- loved by the polish audience took part in it). Nonetheless, lots of people came and welcome him with a standing ovation. After his loss, nobody could believe that for a long time. And Voevoda wanted to blame everybody around, but not himself. He was ready to say it was my fault that he lost, not a result of lacking strength.

As a promotor and organizer I could keep on talking about it, but I guess it is enough and explains a little bit.

Take care!

(Igor)

I also read this some days ago. I asked Brzenk himself about the whole thing as I think he knows more about it. We'll see what he says :)

Like I have said before, Voevoda has only won one match. ALL of his fame comes from beating John one time. If this is the standard for greatness than I must also be a legend as I beat John left handed in an overall once. And I have never pulled him again in a tourney. Of course he crushes me every week at practice.

I like Alexey. We have had some small conversations. He seemed very nice to me. BUT any talk of legendary status is redicules.

I would love to see a match between John and Alexey. BUT I agree with Igor. Alexey has nothing to gain and everything to lose in this match. Why should he do it? If he wins.....so what? BUT if he loses, his status will instantly become that of a one time shooter.

I also found it interesting that Igor refers to John in 2006 as the legendary John. He was actually stronger in the late 90's. His hand is still not as strong as then.

Alexey is definately a monster but IMO if they pulled again in a Vendetta John would win 5-1

Two words: Dima Kochiev.

Get him to the Zloty Tour. I have heard alot about him lately and would love to see him there.

Like I have said before, Voevoda has only won one match. ALL of his fame comes from beating John one time.

Voevoda beat Brzenk in the same tournament he beat Ivakin, Semerenko, Girdner, and Bagent - all without a whole lot of effort. Voevoda is a monster no doubt and I also agree I would not give him the status of "legend" - at least, not yet anyways.

I also found it interesting that Igor refers to John in 2006 as the legendary John. He was actually stronger in the late 90's. His hand is still not as strong as then.

I heard that in the 1997 Harley Pull, Brzenk showed up weighing 230+ and ripped like a bodybuilder and went through everyone effortlessly including Dave Randall, who was then the dominant superheavyweight in North America. Was that when Brzenk was at his best? I have not seen any of the videos from the late 90's but having seen Brzenk totally dominate Uzmanov and toy with Barboza in 2006, I can see why someone might think this was Brzenk at his best.

Hint to anyone who has videos of John in the late 1990’s facing the top competition: can we get some of this uploaded to Youtube or Google video? :mosher

Alexey is definately a monster but IMO if they pulled again in a Vendetta John would win 5-1

Assuming they are both at their best, I agree with that call - or maybe Brzenk 4-2.

Edited by G-Man

G-man,

You are right about the other guys Voevoda beat that day. He is definitely an elite armwrestler. I just dont think anyone can have a legendary status based off of one tourny. I would love to see Veovoda start pulling alot again.

Well I might consede that Johns ARM was at his strongest in 2006. BUT you are correct about back in the mid to late 90's his HAND/WRIST was stronger then. As an example.....First I will say that closeing grippers is NOT a showing of your hand strength for Armwrestling but it is a guide of over-all hand strength. Back in the late 90's John could close a #3 gripper to within a hair. Now he does not close it nearly as far.

IMO hand strength is much more important than arm strength. If you can't control the hand, you can't get into position so your arm can take over. Take the lastest Usmanov match with John. 1st match John toprolled him easy showing the lack of hand strength from Usmanov. The only reason the final matches were interesting is because John felt like hooking him. Same with the latest Taras match. John could of won that 6-0. Just slipping and strap every time. But he tried to grab low and hook him. Taras took Johns wrist. If John had the Hand/Wrist from the late 90's IMO Taras would not of taken his wrist and that match would of gone in a hook were John would of won easily.

The reason John lost the match against Veovoda was because his hand was not up to par. If John would of had his hand from the late 90's hand/Wrist IMO that match also would of gone into a hook were John would win.

Edited by bob brown

The reason John lost the match against Veovoda was because his hand was not up to par. If John would of had his hand from the late 90's hand/Wrist IMO that match also would of gone into a hook were John would win.

John lost his hand against Ivakin recently but in 2004 it looks like he was simply overpowered by Voevoda.

Either way, it's great getting feedback from a guy who trains with the Legend himself.

I am a little confused about something: Igor says that Alexey could not even move John when they locked up on the table. Is that true? I seem to recall you saying that if they faced each other that day (when they were last on the practice table), Alexey would have won.

How did John do against Alexey in practice that day?

Edited by G-Man

It's great to have Bob writing his thoughts in here! We want more! :tongue

I just saw in armbets.tv some interviews with JOhn, where he explains how once you're in the strap, the handstrength doesn't matter that much. Didn't he lose to Voevoda with straps on? Just curious.

I think in 2004 John was outclassed all around by Voevoda. He went down without much fight in the straps. Today, who knows what would happen. Although it would be nice for John to win, and I know he is a complete beast, it seems hard to imagine anyone beating Voevoda right now (right handed). Perhaps if John can gain hand control he'll be able to beat Alexey. I just hope they pull sometime soon.

I wonder, could Alexey beat Usmanov in a hook? I would also like to see Laratt vs. Usmanov.

John and I talked tonight about any pulling he did with Alexey at the last Vendetta. He said all the Photo shots were just made up. They did NOT pull at all.

I agree that John was dominated against Alexey in 2004. BUT that was by no means a healthy, strong, well trained John.

It's great to have Bob writing his thoughts in here! We want more! :tongue

I agree - I think someone should start a thread, "Bob Brown answers questions about John Brzenk." :rock

• 1 month later...

I always see John go up and down in weight so often for diferent events and it makes me wonder how much stronger he would be if he only concentrated on gaining power instead of losing weight for diferent events.How did John usually beat Cleve in the 80s because i wouldnt of thought he would take his hand.I have'nt got to see any matches from then

How did John usually beat Cleve in the 80s because i wouldnt of thought he would take his hand.

I saw the matches in the 1990's and the interview in Milo: John would grab Cleve low and hook him. I don't know if John pulled Cleve a different way in the 1980s.

• 2 months later...
I was surprised to read this from Igor Mazurenko in the forum on armpower.net. It's very negative about Alexey. Is there a conflict between them? What do you think?

Dear Rock,

Generally speaking, Alexey was in a good shape in Bulgaria. Good shape does not mean good enough to face John.

I don't mean John from Bulgaria in this year, but the legendary +100 kg John from the year 2006 and Zloty when I was quite sure he'll continue to dominate the armwrestling world for a long, long time.

Now, Voevoda seems somehow afraid and he does not want to stand up and fight. I understand him. He has worked hard for the reputation he has, not only in armwrestling as you know. This kind of fight might turn out to be just like the one with Travis two years ago.

I have seen by myself as Alexey tested his strength against John and he could do nothing. Semerenko, being in a fantastic shape could not move John anyhow.

In a nutshell, I do not believe this fight will happen, despite the fact that John will be ready for November this year. It is more likely that John will loose weight and fight Babaev than stand at the table againts Voevoda.

Take care,

Igor.

Hello.

Unfortunately, that's the way he always was, I am the one who knows him best. Yet in 2001, when he came to Zloty Tur for the first time, he had fear and discomfort deep inside. Well, that's what led him to the second place in open category and made him crawl to the first in +90 (there was such cat.). I think it is worth mentioning, that he got defeated by Cvetan

Gashevski in open category, who made a surprise with his technique. That's when Alexey's career started and the world heard about a promising Russian athlete.

You need to know, Alexey cannot loose a fight, because he is unable to stand the feeling of being defeated. Even having lost with Travis Bagent he did not admitt to have failed. He claimed it was a matter of too little preparation. He can not fight always and everywhere like John Brzenk. He always needs to be extra prepared. That is the difference between him and John who is always ready to face the challenge and stands failures like a man which Alexey will never learn.

Take care!

(Igor)

Susan: Alexey is the best in the world!!!

He won 6-0 !

I knew that. Noone can stand before him.

Travis, John... nobody has a chance

wooahh!!!

Igor:

Dear Susan,

You couldn't be further from the truth! Alexey has a long way ahead if he wants to become a real legend, such as John is. This is John who wins fight after fight since years. He never stopped armwrestling, he was never afraid of taking up a fight, even having lost weight, just like a real gentleman.

Remember my words, John is a guy who'll have a monument built up alive. I often watch his behaviour during our private meetings as well as when he meets the crowd. Thus, I can honestly say that John is a far more sympathetic person to armwrestling fans than Alexey who causes just converse reactions of the audience. Not so long ago he did not even want to have any kind of close relation with the audience, this is always a pitty.

As a promotor, I am unable to explain Voevoda that what he is doing does not help in his career. It is just the other way round, he strengthens the image of a "Russian Bear" that nobody can make a dialogue with. A person of such a personality cannot become a sport legend. If Alexey does not change his behaviour he may still be well known and liked around Russia, but never in the US and the rest of the world.

Take care,

Igor.

Well, what can I say? In 2005 I had to make lots of efforts and beg Alexey give a lift to Pulling John team and then change his mind to record his day- training, routines etc. for a movie which the team is trying to prepare since a long time ago. He does not get that this kind of behaviour damage his image. Alexey's star of fame may get extinguished because of the above mentioned actions and lots of similar ones.

Alexey does not want to understand that before or after a competition he has to be open and close to the audience and fans. His unsympathetic behaviour often pushes the crowds away, all the people who want to have a picture with him. That is the way it was in Bulgaria after his last fights where hundreds of fans came to John Brzenk, but Alexey did not earn their trust.

In a nutshell, if he does not give up and start PR work, his star will fall like many other's. I don't mean armwrestlers, among which he'll remain the great Voevoda, but simple fans who can not even come and ask him a question or take a photo.

In 2005 I organized a fight between Alexey and Travis in a town where armwrestling is not popular at all, in addition there was snow falling and at the same time there was a ski jumping competition in Zakopane (Adam Malysz- loved by the polish audience took part in it). Nonetheless, lots of people came and welcome him with a standing ovation. After his loss, nobody could believe that for a long time. And Voevoda wanted to blame everybody around, but not himself. He was ready to say it was my fault that he lost, not a result of lacking strength.

As a promotor and organizer I could keep on talking about it, but I guess it is enough and explains a little bit.

Take care!

(Igor)

I have seen by myself as Alexey tested his strength against John and he could do nothing. http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/images/...icup2007-06.jpg

Edited by pawel r

Like I have said before, Voevoda has only won one match. ALL of his fame comes from beating John one time. If this is the standard for greatness than I must also be a legend as I beat John left handed in an overall once. And I have never pulled him again in a tourney. Of course he crushes me every week at practice.

I like Alexey. We have had some small conversations. He seemed very nice to me. BUT any talk of legendary status is redicules.

I would love to see a match between John and Alexey. BUT I agree with Igor. Alexey has nothing to gain and everything to lose in this match. Why should he do it? If he wins.....so what? BUT if he loses, his status will instantly become that of a one time shooter.

Bob you how right.

Alan Karajew beating one match with John in Golden Bear in Moscow 1998, Voevoda beating one match with John in Zloty Tur 2004, and Andrey Antonov beating one match with John in Zloty in 2005 (or one match with Farid Uzmanov in +95 kg category in Zloty in 2005 )

one match winner this too little to be legend how Brzenk

Edited by pawel r

I have seen by myself as Alexey tested his strength against John and he could do nothing. http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/images/...icup2007-06.jpg

What do you mean? Was this a couple of months ago when they met? When Alexy pulled Michael Todd and John pulled Oncescu I think? Or was it Taras? What happened when they pulled? Give us more details!!

What do you mean? Was this a couple of months ago when they met? When Alexy pulled Michael Todd and John pulled Oncescu I think? Or was it Taras? What happened when they pulled? Give us more details!!

words Igor Mazurenko:

the every bit of it

http://armpower.net/forum_en/

http://armpower.net/index.php

Edited by pawel r

• 2 months later...

i am all the time wondering...

Hasn't John had the match with Voevoda AFTER he had the hard and legendary fight with Ivakin ??????

Because after such a fight with Ivakin there is nothing special to beat John...