Steadying the wrist while closing grippers

jimwylie1

I find that while training to close a gripper, if I steady my wrist with my free hand, I can make a better attempt at closure.  I find this a very useful technique for training towards the goal of unassisted closure.  Has anyone else used this technique successfully while training towards closing a particular gripper?

Jim,

I believe that Ironmind states that your free hand may not touch your wrist or any other part of the forearm while closing a number 3 gripper.  If becoming a CoC is a goal of yours, you should use that training method sparingly if at all.

RiotGrip,

Consider holding steady a form of assist. Surely

after you can use the assist method for six reps

or so, you will then be able to do a single rep

without the steady assist- and that's your goal

after all. If it works for you, what's the difference

between this method and those that push the

gripper shut against the thigh- that is touching the

body also.

If you find that it is not helping, you can drop it,

but there is no 'cheating' in training so long as a

technique aids in the final unassisted closure, at

least so it seems to me.

Thanks RiotGrip, I'll bear the advise in mind!

Roark, I managed to close the knurled yellow Iron man super with this method at our training session last night.  For me, the difference between steadying the wrist (to achieve closure) or not, is usually a couple of mill or a few weeks training from standard closure.

Guest Luke Reimer

I have found this assist to be a powerful one in that it always brings me at least an 1/8th inch past any sticking point I come to. Unfortunately I also have found that using it stunts my ability to get the full range of motion in the unnassited manner. The effect could hardly be worse for me than if I had tried getting closes by wrapping the handles to make them meet earlier, and then eventually tried testing myself without the wrappings. Somehow when I support my wrist with my other hand the tendons of my gripper hand seem to move in a way that I cannot seem to duplicate without this support. I never use this assist any more.

Greetings Jim,

I did not know Iron Man sold grippers. How would you rate them and could you tell us a little about them?

Thanx and regards,

JJ

I don't know a lot about them really.  These particular grippers are part of a vast collection at the gym I train at but I think they are a gripper made by Iron Man in the 1970's.  There are 3 in the collection: a red, white and yellow.  I would rate the red at a 1 3/4# (compared to Ironmind grippers), the white a 2 3/4# and the yellow harder than the 3#.  If you want more info on these it's probably best to ask Roark or David Horne.

Jim

Guest Youngguy

View my Super Grip Tips topic. I have struggled with the #3 more than I struggled with any gripper. It was just that the traing was heading into advanced, and I didn't really know that intill I talked to my Gym teacher. My tips are tips I use to workout, and these tips are the leading to my closure of the #3. This morning I closed the #3 about 5-7 singals. My strength never stops rising, because of the use of my handed down (techniques-(not sure how this is spelled:). So try my tips out for a try. Take a look at my topic.(Super Grip Tips)

Years ago I wrote a history of the Ironman grippers

in Iron Game History; I have traded to David Horne

the grippers from Ironman that I owned, and, because

I lacked the strength to close them, David would be the

one to comment on comparing their relative closing

requirements to those of the Ironmind.

If you are interested in a photocopy of the article I

wrote for IGH, send me a personal message via the

board including your snail mail address.

Joe

Sorry about the reply jim, I didn't notice that you were already certified on the #3, obviously you didn't do anything to hinder yourself from that feat. :)

Greg

Everyone has there own way of training and some things work better for some people than others.  I say just do what works best for you.

Happy Christmas

Jim