Not A Zottman Curl

TelegraphKey

I've been doing this movement I thought was a Zottman curl but now I find out it's not. I use a thick db with palm-down at the bottom as at the start of a reverse curl, begin to curl but twist/supinate my forearm, turning it to a regular curl about halfway (more like 1/4 way) up, then mirror that motion on the way back down. I thought this sort of mimicked some of the motion of arm wrestling (which I don't do). This plus the thick bar zap my forearms pretty dang well. Anyone ever heard of this before?

I haven't, but I've heard of "supinated curls" which are similar to what you're describing, but starting from a hammer curl possition, and supinating on the way up.

I used to do curls that way as well, also thinking they were Zotts. I didn't have a thick bar or anything at the time, but I thought they worked the arms pretty well. I might start doing that again, because it gave a good burning feeling when I was done. I can't remember how Zottman curls are different though, anyone care to remind? I'm thinking something like a circle movement or something like that for the actual Zottman... probably wrong though.

Edited by jw7

jw, you might be thinking of pinwheel curls (like a hammer curl, but moving it in a semi-circle in front of the body)..

with a zottman curl you curl it up normally, but the eccentric portion is like a reverse curl (palm facing out).

i think telegraph is doing supinating curls.

Edited by MsteveM

Thanks MsteveM for clarifying.

I always get the words supinate & pronate mixed up. I start out in reverse curl position, twist it from palm down to palm up, so the whole movement sort of goes from reverse curl, to hammer curl, to regular curl (then back).

Zottman curl is a regular curl all the way up, then turn the palm over, then lower the dumbell back down in reverse curl fashion. I read that this allows you to hold more weight for the eccentric (lowering) part than you normally can get on a normal reverse curl.

I do like this exercise I've been doing. I have a home-made Holle-It-Up type db that's 2.4" thick with offset handle, and it really does tax my grip, pump my forearm, and hit that part on the inside of the elbow between the elbow & the crook. I know nothing can really approximate armwrestling except armwrestling, but I'd still like to see how much I can progress and "armwrestle" this dumbell up for weight!

Prone means lying face down, supine means lying face up.

I tried them for a while when I first started lifting. I remember reading about them in the Arnold BB Encyclopedia and had to give them a whirl. I always supinated on my db curls anyways so I didn't feel much difference just starting with a little different position