Farmers walk

willardjamessloan

a friend made me a set of farmers, I tried them yesterday, three sets of 100ft with 170 each hand I weighed 215. Is this ok I see what the big guys do  330 each hand. What is a good goal to shoot for. How many w/o a week with these. Thanks alot guys :)  :)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I was in the Central usa contest 3 years ago and we had to carry 225 for 200 feet. Just to give you an idea . You have got a real good start on it. It's a tough exercise.  I don't know how you are holding it ,but try to hold the handle more in your hand and not with you fingers . Good luck !

Don't let the idea of bodyweight determine what you can get on farmers. A 15 year old friend of mine got 185lbs the other day while only weighing 145lbs.

jeff, that is amazing 185 in each hand by a 15yr old.  how far did he go. I can squat close to 650 and dl close to 600 and bench 420 and a 15yr old is better than me. I had better get my &&& in gear thanks for the kick to get going

I would say that 200kg in each hand is a pretty good start. Work up from there.   :p  Mr Jacobs what were Odd Haugen's tips that he gave you?

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Willard,

All the amatures used taht weight . The pros had 330.

Nathan,

I was taught to farmers with my hands at the back of the handels lrtting the implement tip down in front.Per (Chad Coy). I had done no grip training at that time. Since Odd was the only guy there older than me , we talked a bit. I told him that my farmers was a concern . I loose it in my first 2 fingers.He watched me practice,and moved my grip to the front of the handle.Putting more weight toward the back of my hand.(Sounds simple ,I know)But when everybody else does it that way there must be something to it,so I didn't think about it. Well I finished it for the first time and had the third fastest time out of everybody,25.1 seconds for 200 feet.Odd was one of 4 guys who went the whole way with 330.

guys got pumped from your advice today did 205 for two sets of 100ft, I will use your new techinque. thanks for the input                  willard :)

hi harlan, I saw you mentioned being a bit older than most of the other lifters may I ask how old are you. I am going on 44 I hope to have a few more years of heavy training in me. thanks alot        willard :)