Pull-up / Chin-up

pawel r

i do mostly chinups 8x3 with a backpack with max 8 kilos in. just started doing it. im 75 kilos btw.

how much should i manage to have on extra before i could do it with 1 arm ? :p random question

i do mostly chinups 8x3 with a backpack with max 8 kilos in. just started doing it. im 75 kilos btw.

how much should i manage to have on extra before i could do it with 1 arm ? :p random question

You're doubling the load so I'm guessing you'd have to be able to do regular+75kg before you'd get a one arm.

OAC Beastskills.

Edited by Autolupus

hah. thats gonna take some time =p planning on doing some static holds with a 10 kilo now. just to see how it goes

at the moment im on a negative chin up cycle, lowering myself from top position to bottom at a 4-6 second cadence. I am only using a 20 kg plate at the mo but i have worked up to around 50 kg a year or so ago. I only do one working set of about 4 reps which is all I can take, and im sore for days in my lats, rear delts, abs and biceps. I use a chain that goes through and around my weight belt and i fasten it by using a bolt and nut going thrugh a chain link, when set is over i place the weight onto a nearby low table and simply undo the bolt. I weigh about 103kg.

i did 5x3 with a 10 kilo plate instead . gonna try doing 8x3 next time and work my way up to atleast 50. then i would be happy as hell

oO thats crazy. great vid

• 1 month later...

Weighted pulls/chins

BW of 200-210lbs

45lbsx9

70lbsx2

3x12 with 20 lbs

5x5 with 45lbs

Max set of 17-18 reps

These are the highlights from the last two years of my chinning.

This is from today and slightly off-topic.

This is a V-Bar pulldown for a set of 10. Since I weighed in at 263 today, I was wondering if this might compare to doing a pull-up with almost 80-pounds over bodyweight?

340 x 10

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=6gxv3p1

Only way to find out is to hang 80# on you and grab a chin up bar. I doubt it judging by my pull down / chin up results from the past but it's easy enough to find out - just do it.

I think I could do pulldowns with my bodyweight while I couldn't do a single pullup :mosher

So, like Climber said, try seeing what you can do, it's very easy, just find a bar to hold onto. :)

About nine months ago, I started doing pullups again after taking a long break. I did 23 and some guy said, "congratulations." I wasn't sure what he meant - whether it was sarcasm about form or not (I've been a little more sensitive to this given all the Internet critics). :rolleyes He was sincere - he just said he was impressed with someone my size (270 then) doing that many. I wasn't impressed - I normally do around 28 max and the best I ever did was 34: form was never great at that many reps.

If I could do 34 full-hang at my weight (then or now), I would be a freak of nature ... :tongue

Edited by G-Man

About nine months ago, I started doing pullups again after taking a long break. I did 23 and some guy said, "congratulations." I wasn't sure what he meant - whether it was sarcasm about form or not (I've been a little more sensitive to this given all the Internet critics). :rolleyes He was sincere - he just said he was impressed with someone my size (270 then) doing that many. I wasn't impressed - I normally do around 28 max and the best I ever did was 34: form was never great at that many reps.

If I could do 34 full-hang at my weight (then or now), I would be a freak of nature ... :tongue

I agree, the term "pull-up" is used as horribly as the term "curl", both in real life and the internet. You gotta be very specific... Some people use momentum, others pause at the bottom; some people don't raise themselves enough, others clear the bar with the chin; some people don't lower nearly enough, others let their arm go straight, and even let their scapula retract (or whatever is called, to let your shoulder get loose, just doing no effort, only with the hands to stay on the bar). This variables make for very different results I have noticed!!

I agree, the term "pull-up" is used as horribly as the term "curl", both in real life and the internet.

I might tend to disagree.

When you heard the Barbarian Brothers did alternate DB curls with 150 in each hand, how did you expect it to look? I expected it to look exactly as that video on Youtube.

When you heard Jimmy Pellecia did SEATED [!!!] alternate DB curls with a 150 in each hand, how do you expect that to look? I would expect it to look very much like the Barbarian Brothers, but seated.

When you heard that Alexey Voevoda did one armed pull-ups, did you expect he would do it - at 270-pounds - from a dead hang? I saw the video and that looked about right for me.

When you heard Bill Kazmaier did a 440-pound E-Z Bar Cheat Curl (which I later heard was only 398-pounds), what did you have in mind? I know what I have in mind - the form would not impress the no-name critics you see on YouTube comments - but I would say that is pretty damned impressive.

Not to digress, but if you look at YouTube, there are some pretty damned impressive things people do where the form is not great.

Take this as an example:

375 for 7 on lat pull downs 19 yro TUM TEEZY GVILLE BITCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqemmhNP6fk&NR=1

If that is really 375 on a wide grip, then that is damned impressive - ESPECIALLY for a 19 year old. The Youtube no names attack his form, yet I know of only one guy who did 400-pounds on a wide grip, and he was a 6',5", 360-pound MONSTER. I've seen a lot of monsters in my gym and NO ONE does what that kid says he just did in that video.

As a critic, I might say, show me the stack (most lat pulldown machines are NOT double pulleys - unlike most cable cross overs which are - so I treat them as reliable). Is that a 250-pound stack? Then if that's a 45 and a 25 on top of it, it's only 320 x 7 - extremely impressive for a 19-year old but a far cry from 375. We don't know for sure, but it is impressive either way.

Edited by G-Man

Hey man, I never said that loose form immediately means that the feat is unimpressive. Of course that 150lb dumbell curls will look impressive even with a swing, and of course 400lb pulldowns will look impressive even if your torso is parallel to the ground...

But in my own personal opinion, I like feats when they look a bit stricter. For instance, this guy says he's 190 and does 5 pullups with 115lbs of weight. And look at the form in these pullups...

... I'd rather see that, than seeing a video of a guy the same weight, but using 200lbs and doing 5 reps with a 3 inch range of motion.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey man, I never said that loose form immediately means that the feat is unimpressive. Of course that 150lb dumbell curls will look impressive even with a swing, and of course 400lb pulldowns will look impressive even if your torso is parallel to the ground...

But in my own personal opinion, I like feats when they look a bit stricter. For instance, this guy says he's 190 and does 5 pullups with 115lbs of weight. And look at the form in these pullups...

... I'd rather see that, than seeing a video of a guy the same weight, but using 200lbs and doing 5 reps with a 3 inch range of motion.

i agree that is very impressive

form is very important

I agree, the term "pull-up" is used as horribly as the term "curl", both in real life and the internet.

I might tend to disagree.

When you heard the Barbarian Brothers did alternate DB curls with 150 in each hand, how did you expect it to look? I expected it to look exactly as that video on Youtube.

When you heard Jimmy Pellecia did SEATED [!!!] alternate DB curls with a 150 in each hand, how do you expect that to look? I would expect it to look very much like the Barbarian Brothers, but seated.

When you heard that Alexey Voevoda did one armed pull-ups, did you expect he would do it - at 270-pounds - from a dead hang? I saw the video and that looked about right for me.

When you heard Bill Kazmaier did a 440-pound E-Z Bar Cheat Curl (which I later heard was only 398-pounds), what did you have in mind? I know what I have in mind - the form would not impress the no-name critics you see on YouTube comments - but I would say that is pretty damned impressive.

a

Not to digress, but if you look at YouTube, there are some pretty damned impressive things people do where the form is not great.

Take this as an example:

375 for 7 on lat pull downs 19 yro TUM TEEZY GVILLE BITCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqemmhNP6fk&NR=1

If that is really 375 on a wide grip, then that is damned impressive - ESPECIALLY for a 19 year old. The Youtube no names attack his form, yet I know of only one guy who did 400-pounds on a wide grip, and he was a 6',5", 360-pound MONSTER. I've seen a lot of monsters in my gym and NO ONE does what that kid says he just did in that video.

As a critic, I might say, show me the stack (most lat pulldown machines are NOT double pulleys - unlike most cable cross overs which are - so I treat them as reliable). Is that a 250-pound stack? Then if that's a 45 and a 25 on top of it, it's only 320 x 7 - extremely impressive for a 19-year old but a far cry from 375. We don't know for sure, but it is impressive either way.

If they are performed with a total different level of strictness it makes them harder for comparison, which in turn makes it harder to judge whether it's impressive or not in the first place.