Strength Training For Armwrestling

Florian Kellersmann

I would like to hear your opinions how important you think are the different types of armwrestling strength. Please put the following points in order of importance. You also can make different charts for different types of pullers (inside/outside):

1. Backpressure (toproll hand position)

2. Backpressure (hook hand position)

3. Sidepressure (Hook hand position)

4. Sidepressure (toproll hand position)

5. Pronation

6. Supination

7. Wrist strength (frontlever movement)

8. Wrist strength (wristcurl movement)

What a cool question, I hope bob_brown answers :tongue

Your opinion would be appreaciated too, Arturo!

I would like to hear your opinions how important you think are the different types of armwrestling strength. Please put the following points in order of importance. You also can make different charts for different types of pullers (inside/outside):

1. Backpressure (toproll hand position)

2. Backpressure (hook hand position)

3. Sidepressure (Hook hand position)

4. Sidepressure (toproll hand position)

5. Pronation

6. Supination

7. Wrist strength (frontlever movement)

8. Wrist strength (wristcurl movement)

IMO.....

I would like to be amazingly strong in all of them. So I can go....well toproll isn't going to work lets try a hook.....

Not well top roll doesn't work I'm done for the night.

So I think you have to be really good at everything and at least great at one move to be dominant.

I would go into it with more depth and thought but I'm about to hit the gym.....

Good thread by the way....but your forgetting one thing.....mental strength.

I am not sure what you are looking for.

BUT I have been asked which is more important, Hand, Wrist, Hook, Side pressure, Back Pressure. I have always been a believer in backpressure can make up for all other weaknesses. For example, I know many armwrestlers that have weak wrist or weak hand or fingers, YET they still do very well with backpressure. Jason Vale is a perfect example of some with a very weak hand. He would always try to slip and then get in the straps were his amazing back pressure would prevail.

A hookers wrist will usaually tire out before a toprollers back pressure.

With that being said, I also believe in being strong in all styles. You should all train 50% in hook and 50% in toproll. No matter what your style in a tournament train both.

Bob,

Do you feel backpressure can be strengthened in the gym very well? It seems like the one strength someone can work on off the table and it will transfer pretty well to the table. Also what is your favorite way to train this movement in the gym?

Bob,

Do you feel backpressure can be strengthened in the gym very well? It seems like the one strength someone can work on off the table and it will transfer pretty well to the table. Also what is your favorite way to train this movement in the gym?

There are 2 basic types of back pressure, both can be trained in a gym.

Posting - Hammer curl

Drag - Lateral rows

You can train them both dynamically with full range of motion and also statically with very limited range of motion with high weight.

I suggest you do many different types of Hammer Curls. ei...cables, free wieghts, bands and do cables from many angles.

Rows also - cables, machines, free weights.

To combine them both at the same time I love Pull ups with palms faceing each other.

Edited by bob brown

• 10 months later...

this question is for bob brown or any other armwrestler who has a machine similar to this primitive set up http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=4199 what kind of weight do you pull with this machine with one wheel the weight is true and not made lighter by several wheels or leverage so if its 100lb of plates you are pulling 100 lb i would like to know what professionals like you and others pull for side pressure i have went up to 110lb about 3 monts ago but have slacked up on training thanks in advance

this question is for bob brown or any other armwrestler who has a machine similar to this primitive set up http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=4199 what kind of weight do you pull with this machine with one wheel the weight is true and not made lighter by several wheels or leverage so if its 100lb of plates you are pulling 100 lb i would like to know what professionals like you and others pull for side pressure i have went up to 110lb about 3 monts ago but have slacked up on training thanks in advance

Hi Bob. I've done 150 for a couple of reps (after warming up really well). Normally I don't go much above 110-125 for sets of 3. I need to be in the 200+ pound range to be where Pro's my size are functioning at. Sidepressure is funny, some days I am really strong and other days it hurts to do 70 and I can't continue. :dry

Hi Bob. I've done 150 for a couple of reps (after warming up really well). Normally I don't go much above 110-125 for sets of 3. I need to be in the 200+ pound range to be where Pro's my size are functioning at. Sidepressure is funny, some days I am really strong and other days it hurts to do 70 and I can't continue. :dry

Yeah I know what you mean it sucks.......