Grip strength

Marc

The other day I was browsing the net and I came across a job for our local police force and one of the requirements to join is a ‘grip strength’ assessment for static strength.

So it just makes you wonder if there are many budding CoC’s in our police forces

Grip strength is usually measured on a hand dynamometer. The minimum requirement that I have seen for law enforcement varies from 32kg to 35kg. About ten years ago, a dwarf working at a chicken processing plant in Arkansas threatened to sue because of the implementation of a 40kg grip strength requirement. I guess that we can conclude that a stronger grip is required for processing chickens than for processing criminals.

I dunno.... some of those chickens look mighty mean!!  :p

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mg6680

Had one in the academy...Pretty feeble in comparison to the feats coming from you all.  I sometimes take my grippers to work and let boys/girls give them a shot.  A few can close the number one, but most cant even close the trainer!  They all think I'm nuts for wanting to mash a potato.

Grip strength is usually measured on a hand dynamometer. The minimum requirement that I have seen for law enforcement varies from 32kg to 35kg. About ten years ago, a dwarf working at a chicken processing plant in Arkansas threatened to sue because of the implementation of a 40kg grip strength requirement. I guess that we can conclude that a stronger grip is required for processing chickens than for processing criminals.

wouldn't something like that be allowed for under the americans with disabilities act?  anyway, most dynamometers are adjustable so that even the smallest hands can get a good grip on them.

True. Most dynamometers are adjustable. The dwarf's threat of a law suit was just that. His claim had no merit so no lawyer who cared to continue practicing law would take his case. Without any significant developments in the story, it was no longer newsworthy. That is, newsworthy by Arkansas standards.