Help for a beginner

Guest archaicmaelstrom

Guest archaicmaelstrom

Hello,

I am 19, have been working out weights for 2 years generally, and have started kung fu a few months ago.

I greatly want to increase my overall grip/forearm strength, and although I do bicep reverse curls, suppinated forearm wrist extensions, and wrist curls with weights, as well as knuckle pushups, and fingertip pushups, I'm not confident I have a well rounded enough routine.

Can anyone offer advice?

I also have one of those metal grippers (like a piece of thick wire bent upwards and coiled, then bends downwards to form a grip which you squeeze together) I don't know what they're called.

As a beginner, you HAVE to read "Mastery of hand strength", written by John Brookfield. You can get it at ironmind.com. It's a must read for grip strength. Brookfield is one of the top grip athletes ever adn he gives a lot of exercises and tips on how to build your own equipement. It'll be the best 20$ invest of your strength career.

As a beginner, you HAVE to read "Mastery of hand strength", written by John Brookfield. You can get it at ironmind.com. It's a must read for grip strength. Brookfield is one of the top grip athletes ever adn he gives a lot of exercises and tips on how to build your own equipement. It'll be the best 20$ invest of your strength career.

I respectfully disagree.  The book contains no useful information beyond what is found here on the grip page.  In fact, Mr. Brookfield does not include any information at all on his forte, which is steel bending.  I think the book is long overdue for a second edition.  At least one of the feats which he declares impossible (crushing an unopened soda) has been accomplished by Joe Kinney.  

Bottom line: If you do not have access to the grip page, buy this book.  If you do have access, spend the $20 on another gripper.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ About that soda can thing. Didn't Manfred Hoeberl (sp?) crush a full one a few years ago? I saw a picture of it in some muscle mag. By the way, he had both hands on it and was therefore probably using the chest more, does Brookfield mean using only one hand?

For the new guy... I do recommend the Captains of Crush, of course, after you've bcome very used to the common gripper. Start with the trainer. I wish I did! :blush

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blitzkrieg

i'm also pretty new to gripping and i usually go over to a friends house a few days a week to work on grip

i was wondering what type of exercises i can do at home withought any grip machines or anything besides some normal dumbells... would wrist curls help? any advise would be helpful

Hello RSW,

I've burst unopened cans on many occassions (especially on drunken nights out  :p  :p )and i think most on this site could do it also.It's a good workout and looks good to spectaters also.

PS-remember to take your shirt off first !!!

Chris

Blitzkrieg, wrist curls will help your wrists and forearms, but will do little in the way of grip strength.  there are probably countless things laying around that you can use to gain grip strength.  find and old sledge hammer and do some leverage work.  do some rope climbing or towel chinups.  if the bells are heavy enough do farmer's walks.  if you have weight plates do some pinching.  you may want to invest a little money into making a sandbag, or get a barrel.  either will increase the strength in your hands greatly.