Just Starting Out...

rasturai

Hey I'm new to the AW thing. I'm 17, 198lbs. have competed in raw PL comp too. I can close COC #1 easily for reps. trying to get same level with left but fractured my arm a while ago when submisison wrestling. Anyways!

I hear lots of finger, wrist, and forearm/bicep strength is good for AW.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to increase wrist/finger/forearm. This is my idea, I'd like a critique :)

-heavy hammer curls/cheat curls/alternating DB curls. (sometimtes thick handled)

-finger curls

- plate pinches

-wrist curls for reps with forearms on knee's (including reverse)

- for sidepressure I only have band resistance so I'd start with that...anyother way I can train this (maybe having heavy db in arm on table)

I have John Brookfields book on hang strength and maybe once in a while mixing it up and using some of the methods in the book (using a piece of plywood and putting weight on it and then using pliers to support it). Also for wrist strength using levers etc etc. What do you all think?? Thanks a lot! I was also of thinking of doing the above things I mentioned 3x a week for 3 sets. (varying reps). Not using sidepressure that much though cause I heard you don't want to overtrain it. Thanks again!

Hey I'm new to the AW thing. I'm 17, 198lbs. have competed in raw PL comp too. I can close COC #1 easily for reps. trying to get same level with left but fractured my arm a while ago when submisison wrestling. Anyways!

I hear lots of finger, wrist, and forearm/bicep strength is good for AW.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to increase wrist/finger/forearm. This is my idea, I'd like a critique :)

-heavy hammer curls/cheat curls/alternating DB curls. (sometimtes thick handled)

-finger curls

- plate pinches

-wrist curls for reps with forearms on knee's (including reverse)

- for sidepressure I only have band resistance so I'd start with that...anyother way I can train this (maybe having heavy db in arm on table)

I have John Brookfields book on hang strength and maybe once in a while mixing it up and using some of the methods in the book (using a piece of plywood and putting weight on it and then using pliers to support it). Also for wrist strength using levers etc etc. What do you all think?? Thanks a lot! I was also of thinking of doing the above things I mentioned 3x a week for 3 sets. (varying reps). Not using sidepressure that much though cause I heard you don't want to overtrain it. Thanks again!

I would search for the phrase "ask John Brzenk" He has 3 pages where people from all over the world asked him about AW. It's 100s of question and I have read them all. Good luck

Edited by fightertrainer

Rasturai,

Where do you live? I see if I can find a practice for you to goto.

Canada, Ontario. Near Toronto. Any places you know of? lol

I will have more later but this might get you started.

From Mathew Helmer,

THE COLLINGWOOD ARM WRESTLING CLUB( BEST CLUB IN ONTARIO) TEAM OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUNDAYS @ 1PM-5PM / SOMETIMES WEDNESDAY NIGHTS@ 6PM AND THE ODD SATURDAY SUPER PRACTICES.. WASAGA BEACH,ONTARIO AT CRAIG MITHCELL'S HOUSE. 4 TABLES PLUS 1 KIDS TABLE. THERE IS EVEN A GYM TO WEIGHT LIFT. ALL WEIGHT CLASSES FROM LIGHT WEIGHTS TO SUPER HEAVY WEIGHTS. PROVINCIAL,CANADIAN AND WORLD CHAMPIONS TO TRAIN YOU!!!

CONTACT NUMBER IS (705) 429-0562 OR (416) 737-4485

Ottawa: Practices are held most Sunday afternoons 1-3 pm.

During the summer, they are held on the beach at Mooney's Bay (right by the snack bar next to the volleyball courts) - the rest of the time at Eric Roussin's or Jeff Slater's places (or Devon's when he's around).

Info: contact Eric Roussin: eroussin (at) rogers (dot) com or 613-745-8638 . His mailing list will notify you a few days before a Sunday as to where/if the practice will be.

From Joe Gould

The Belleville Armwrestling Club pulls every Thursday, at the very least, sometimes more.

Belleville is 1.5 hours East of Toronto on the 401. And worth the trip.

I can be reached @613 967 6662, or by email @ gould.lyons@sympatico.ca

I will have more later but this might get you started.

From Mathew Helmer,

THE COLLINGWOOD ARM WRESTLING CLUB( BEST CLUB IN ONTARIO) TEAM OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUNDAYS @ 1PM-5PM / SOMETIMES WEDNESDAY NIGHTS@ 6PM AND THE ODD SATURDAY SUPER PRACTICES.. WASAGA BEACH,ONTARIO AT CRAIG MITHCELL'S HOUSE. 4 TABLES PLUS 1 KIDS TABLE. THERE IS EVEN A GYM TO WEIGHT LIFT. ALL WEIGHT CLASSES FROM LIGHT WEIGHTS TO SUPER HEAVY WEIGHTS. PROVINCIAL,CANADIAN AND WORLD CHAMPIONS TO TRAIN YOU!!!

CONTACT NUMBER IS (705) 429-0562 OR (416) 737-4485

Ottawa: Practices are held most Sunday afternoons 1-3 pm.

During the summer, they are held on the beach at Mooney's Bay (right by the snack bar next to the volleyball courts) - the rest of the time at Eric Roussin's or Jeff Slater's places (or Devon's when he's around).

Info: contact Eric Roussin: eroussin (at) rogers (dot) com or 613-745-8638 . His mailing list will notify you a few days before a Sunday as to where/if the practice will be.

From Joe Gould

The Belleville Armwrestling Club pulls every Thursday, at the very least, sometimes more.

Belleville is 1.5 hours East of Toronto on the 401. And worth the trip.

I can be reached @613 967 6662, or by email @ gould.lyons@sympatico.ca

This is why I think AWers are the best people. Everywhere I live they always welcome you with open arms. I went to Les Zollman's home when I live in Orange county California. When I moved to Houston Gary ray welcomed me in his home as well. This is why AW is still one of the purest sport around, participants are always willing to show you the rope, never try to hurt you as they know you're a novice and will need time ot adapt. They would also warn you gently if you put yourself in breakarm position. I feel all you have to do is to contact them and say you like to come over to pull, that's it. Next thing you know is you're in the middle of world class level people and learn it for free.

Edited by fightertrainer

From Mark Zelepa

London is about 1.5 hours west of Toronto. He can call if he would like 1-519-473-5780.

From Tamara

Yes i live about 45mins...from Toronto. I train...when I have a chance..lol. in Oakville which is nice and close to Toronto. Training is on Saturdays at 12noon. Varied weight classes and calibure. Great place to practice and learn. Guys and girls...

If he needs more info...he can go to either the ontario board or call my cell...519 504 6649..

• 2 months later...

Its all about the table time. Get on an armwrestling table with somebody or some people that know what they are doing and train hard.

BOB BROWN is an AMAZING puller. Listen to anything he has to say :)