Scales pinching

Guest dutchman

Guest dutchman

Hi all!

I'm not into grip strength training...

But I was wondering. Did some of you guys ever try to do "scales pinching"? Grip some scales (standard mechanical scales that's used to weigh humans) in both your hands, and squeeze it as hard as possible.

This thing used to be in the dutch guinness book of records.

I wonder what results you guys can get...

Scale pinching or scale crushing?  When I use my palms and fingers, I've squeezed about 230+ lbs on a regular scale.  However, I don't know where I'd stand using just pinching strength instead of crushing strength.

Guest dutchman

Thanks for your replies.

I've browsed through your website and forum a little more. It sounds quite interesting. It makes me want to buy some CoC grippers and try what I can close. Would I close the trainer in one attempt? Or the #1...?  :)

But about the topic of scale pinching/crushing. Judging by your definitions of pinching/crushing on your site, I was talking about scale crushing, not pinching.

When I was about 10 years old I was reading a dutch guinness records book from 1988. It had a national record for scale crushing. That record was 82 kg (180 lbs).

I thought that's a cool idea to crush scales with your hands. So I went on and picked some scales to try how hard it would be to crush a scale. I managed to do about 30 kg (66 lbs) at my first try. I thought, hmm would I be able to get closer to that record if I get older and stronger?

In the next years I tried it a few more times, and a few years later I managed to reach 83 kg (183 lbs). I'm quite proud of that since I'm small (1.64m, 53kg, 29cm/11.4inch biceps), and wrists that are usually smaller than the smallest setting for most watches for males).

Unfortunately for me, that guinness record category got more popular over the years. In 1990 the record was around 90 kg (198 lbs). 2 years later the record had improved to 121 kg  (266 lbs). And a few years ago I saw the record was something like 145 kg (319 lbs).

So, no chance for me to break that record.

But it would be interesting to know for me, how much the Captains of Crush from this site can do on a standard scale. The type of scale indeed has some influence on how hard you can crush. Some scales have an awkward shape for doing that. But most times the differences between the scales aren't too big. So, any more crush masters willing to try some scale crushing?

BTW, which CoC gripper do you think I can close if I can do 83 kg (183 lbs) at scale crushing?

Guest baldy

Dutchman -

First, welcome aboard. Glad to have you here with us.

In the next years I tried it a few more times, and a few years later I managed to reach 83 kg (183 lbs). I'm quite proud of that since I'm small (1.64m, 53kg, 29cm/11.4inch biceps), and wrists that are usually smaller than the smallest setting for most watches for males).

So, no chance for me to break that record.

Second, don't ever sell yourself short on strength goals. You can gain weight if you want to by doing some heavy training on basic movements (squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc) and eating plenty of quality food. Even if you don't want to gain weight, people can excel at grip strength at any size or age. For example: judging by your weight, I bet you can do some serious pullups. Goals that you might pursue could be chinning from one finger, rafter chins, chinning with one hand from a Rolling Thunder handle from IronMind, etc. Also, there have been light guys do well on grippers, thick handle lifts, plate pinching, tearing feats, nail bending, really just about anything grip or wrist related. Anyway, look around here and have fun.

Oh yeah, about the IronMind grippers. I don't have any idea which one you will be able to close out of the bag, but I would bet that you will be hooked once you purchase a couple. Especially if you get one that is hard for you but you can *ALMOST* get the handles to touch. You have been warned, they are fun and addictive to train with!

Guest Tobster

Years ago I did some scales squeezing, and it definitely depends on the scelas. On our scales at home I managed about 60 kilos (later 72 after some paratice) but on my grandmother´s scales, which was thinner, I didn´t do more than 48-50 kilos.

I too have very thin wrists by the way. Despite being about 5-11 and a man I have almost never seen any adult person regardless of sex with wrists lookiog thinner than mine.