Gripper Help, Switching It Up?

GoJu

In trying to get more consistent with the #2, I've only closed it on odd occasions I noticed I seem to have plateued, do you guys think switching gears to doing nothing but rolling thunder would be the change of pace I need to elicit further progress or do you guys think I just need to kill the grippers more than I am now, my workouts were never what you'd call high volume, perhaps I need to hit the grippers harder? what do you think of just going rolling thunder for a while?

You should do thick bar work, blobs etc for three to four weeks and then get back to the grippers

I find that when i do a lot of RT work (as i am at the moment) my grippers tend to end up down. I have tried not doing grippers for a while and it doesn't seem to work. My opinion is that if you want to get better at gripeprs, work with them (anything - MMS, no sets, high reps, overcrushes, negs etc...) just do em! I think that by doing high volume on an easier gripper (for you, say the #1.5) your setting technique improves a lot and next time you pick up the #2 you will close it.

I agree with Sam!!

Brendan

I've made good progress by training other stuff and laying off the grippers. At some point, you'll have to work the grippers to get better at them; but stronger hands are stronger hands and grippers aren't the only way to build strength.

That said, in order to see the carryover from non-gripper training to grippers, you will have to give yourself some time and some volume to regroove the skill of closing grippers.

Taking a break will not hurt you, grippers are boring to train and focusing on other aspects will give you a mental break and give you an opportunity to strengthen other areas. I would do one set twice a week of no sets, 1 set for as many as I could get and try to increase that number every workout. Blobs/blocks, plate pinches and thickbar would be what I would work towards. I see carryover to grippers from blocks/blobs and pinching and thickbar are also good lifts. Go back to your regular gripper workout in 3-4 weeks and I think you will see results.

Taking a break will not hurt you, grippers are boring to train and focusing on other aspects will give you a mental break and give you an opportunity to strengthen other areas.

I would like to add to what Heath said by saying this: get and use a grip machine. 'Nuff said. :D

thanks for the help guys! I think I'll go ahead and do 4 weeks of rolling thunder and hex blocks starting next week and then come back to the grippers after that, hmmm, weird that you don't get any carryover Sam, I've heard of a lot of guys who only did axle work before getting into grippers and then closing like the #2 first time out, I remember an article by a COC named godfrey that he closed the #3 by training only blockweights so I'd like to see what this type of training could get me, I agree with you though sam on doing high volume on a #1.5, or in my case the BBSA, when I get back to grippers I'll work my way back into them doing just that, thanks again dudes!

Sybersnott - man if only I could afford the G-Rex, I'd take that thing to town, sadly though I don't have enough money right now even for a cheaper one like the one made by Tetting or enough to make my own, one day I'll get one, I hear good things about them!

I was thinking of doing this for blocks:

pinky/ring block lift

index/middle block lift

timed holds

for Rolling Thunder:

1 warmupset

2 x 12 (deloaded reps with straight weight)

what do you guys think, and how many times a week would be good doing this?

I would really caution against the 2 finger block stuff unless you really ease into it, I have managed to strain something pretty much everytime I have tried it. I would work with timed holds, reps, cleans, and snatches. Blocks and RT I would say 2-3 times a week, to keep your gripper groove, I would finish every workout with one set of grippers, something light for no set reps or a timed hold/overcrush.

I would really caution against the 2 finger block stuff unless you really ease into it, I have managed to strain something pretty much everytime I have tried it. I would work with timed holds, reps, cleans, and snatches. Blocks and RT I would say 2-3 times a week, to keep your gripper groove, I would finish every workout with one set of grippers, something light for no set reps or a timed hold/overcrush.

all right, sounds good man, yeah I got the finger stuff from the KTA blob e-book, but I'm not wanting to do that kind of volume now but it's techniques look like stuff I could still use in regular training, in the past I've worked with single-rep deads, but I think I'll incorporate those along with reverse curls, high pulls, and timed holds. Think I'll do blocks 2x a week and RT 2x a week, and keeping grippers to one light set sounds good, I'll do Trainer or #1 for some high reps afterwards, thanks again man!

Yup, listen to Heath. He'll not lead you astray.

Going purely by personal experience I'd say that your just not using the grippers enough. I tend to think that the more you do something the better you are at it and grippers I don't think are any different.