Electrician strength

RogerSteffens

We're having our basement remodeled and the two young electricians noticed the pile of grippers in the corner.  When I came down in the p.m. they'd  apparently being trying them off and on during the day. The big one remarked that the "silver one" (my Elite) was real tough.  Both closed my #1 easily.  The bigger one then closed my BB Master, but not easily. Gave him my #3 and he got it to about 1/2". He is about 6' 1" and about 250 and has done some powerlifting but no gripper work.

An electrician friend tricked me years ago. He had

some sort of meter that he told me to squeeze, but

my effort was hugely LESS than his. Then he confessed

the meter measured moisture, so my sweaty fingers

had no chance against his fingers just after he dried

them thoroughly on his pants immediately before his

attempts.

I have quite a few friends who work with their hands in their jobs and they seem to be very strong without specifically training their grip. I also know some people who have very strong grips and do grip workouts everyday.

Roger!

Great to hear from you again!  I was hoping you and I could get together and do a grip workout, since I live not very far from you.  Anyhow, IM me and we could set up something.  :)

Guest Uberman

I have a new job now, but worked in a food warehouse for five years. I was a puller meaning I drove thru the warehouse on a transporter and stacked various size boxes on a pallet all night long. Most pullers handled closes to 10,000 cases a week. Terrible on backs, many fused vertibres but almost everyone there could close the IM #1 and a good number were fairly close to the #2. As I remember about the only ones that didn't close the #1 or at least real close was a supervisor and a trash man who couldn't hardly budge the trainer. Mike

Guest Uberman

I have a new job now, but worked in a food warehouse for five years. I was a puller meaning I drove thru the warehouse on a transporter and stacked various size boxes on a pallet all night long. Most pullers handled closes to 10,000 cases a week. Terrible on backs, many fused vertibres but almost everyone there could close the IM #1 and a good number were fairly close to the #2. As I remember about the only ones that didn't close the #1 or at least real close was a supervisor and a trash man who couldn't hardly budge the trainer. Mike

• 3 weeks later...

My father has worked as an electrician since he was sixteen. He learned trhe bulk of his craft in the SeaBees. He stands 5'5" tall, and in his prime, weighed about 180 lbs. He had huge arms for his height and was very strong ( I never saw him lose an arm wrestling match) When he was forty, and my brother and I were into working out, we measured his arms (which were not as big as they had been ten years earlier judging from the photos) his biceps were 16 inches and his forarms (held straight out and his fist balled up) measured 14 1/2 inches around. He said that when he was in the Navy (at age twenty-two) he could beat everyone he met in arm wrestling. He never worked out in the traditional sense, but rather, worked with his hand (screw-drivers, pliers etc.) constantly.