.302 Drill Rod

ObsceneJester

I just recieved a .302 W-1 Drill rod from McMasters and I have to say wow.. that thing was ridiculously easy at 7inches.. right on the Crush down *BAM* it broke in two

That .302 W-1 was easier to me then a 60D, thank god I was had a towel over my neck..

Here is the picture of the drill rod

>>Click Me<<

Wow! I've done 1/4, 9/32 and 5/16 from fastenal (O-1 variety though) and it's never snapped and Ben, Eric and Gazza have done the same in 11/32 (I'm jealous) And Gazza has done 3/8 and no snapping.

Now, if the drill rod connesiour Aaron hasn't had one snap then that's saying something as he's probably bent more sizes than anybody. Maybe you just had a bad batch.

Tim

I have ordered some .295 O-1 drill rod.. if those snap.. I'm done with drill rod.

See the thing is I have bent 3 more after those from different rods and they broke, so I just cut them down to 6" pieces and I'm going to work on the kink to about the crushdown phase, then I'm going to just throw them away. No point in possibly getting hurt.

Tim I thought it was a bad batch and the only reason I put a towel around my neck was because in my thread about drill rods some guy named Aaron McKenize or w/e said he had one snap at his neck that was W-1..

Also those .302 W-1 were extremely easy, from the kink all the way to Crushdown part right before it snapped, the crushdown was quite a bit harder then the CRS I'm quite confident I could of gotten them under 2".. Now that 6" piece of crush down is ridiculous, it loads up hard, but again I'm not strong enough/confident enough to finish because I'd rather it not pop on me

Edited by ObsceneJester

I would get rid of that batch Rob looking at the bend though it looks

like a rounded hrs steel bend ? I just did a 1/4"x7" O-1 from fastenal

bend Monday and it went down with no problems. I'll keep that in mind

and use a towel too plan on getting .257 next 1/4" was a little too easy.

Robert

Rob, I've bent a lot of volume with O-1 Drill Rod at the .3125" Drill Rod level and higher. Not as many varieties as Acorn has, but I've bent at least 50 pieces of the .3125" Drill Rod at this point and have never had one break. 7" was the longest and sub 5.5" was the shortest, so length on that didn't seem to effect the chances of breaking. Not saying they won't break of course, just telling you they haven't broken yet for me.

I've also done a lot of .3281" Drill Rod and it has never broken either at any length. Only done about half a dozen pieces of the 11/32" Drill Rod but it hasn't broken either.

Good luck with that O-1 Drill Rod. I think it'll pleasantly surprise you how much it'll make you work on the crushdown.

I have yet to bend any of the O-1, all the drill rod I have is W-1. I have bent the: .281, .290, .302, .312, .323, .332, .343, .348, and .358. I have not completed the .368 yet but will eventually. I've never had one break. In fact the only stuff I've ever had break was a few piece that my strength was already way above and I just hit really hard and fast, and continued to hit. like 1/4 plated, the Huge hex when I did it, and a prekinked piece of 5/16 sq plated key stock that was well setup when I started hammering it with hits and moving it. IMO breakage should only potentially happen on brittle pieces, stuff you are way above and hit HARD, and stuff with metal fatigue or flaws. I think you either got a bad bar or are above that one and just freaking hammered it. I would be happy to send you a piece or 2 of mine to try and see how it compares.

- Aaron

I have ordered some .295 O-1 drill rod.. if those snap.. I'm done with drill rod.

See the thing is I have bent 3 more after those from different rods and they broke, so I just cut them down to 6" pieces and I'm going to work on the kink to about the crushdown phase, then I'm going to just throw them away. No point in possibly getting hurt.

Tim I thought it was a bad batch and the only reason I put a towel around my neck was because in my thread about drill rods some guy named Aaron McKenize or w/e said he had one snap at his neck that was W-1..

Also those .302 W-1 were extremely easy, from the kink all the way to Crushdown part right before it snapped, the crushdown was quite a bit harder then the CRS I'm quite confident I could of gotten them under 2".. Now that 6" piece of crush down is ridiculous, it loads up hard, but again I'm not strong enough/confident enough to finish because I'd rather it not pop on me

Howdy all,

The stuff I had break was W-1 and it was 4 different bars. They all broke when I went to do the sweep portion of the bend. I was NOT expecting the first one and it got me in the wind pipe and scared the piss out of me :tongue . As I said, the POP was very impressive sounding :D Bleeding to death in front of my 5 year old is not something I aspire to do, so I wrapped a half of a washcloth around the center of next 3 bars, all of which also broke. All of these bars came from McMaster.

I have only had one piece of 0-1 break and it was a piece I had sitting around for about a year (wasn't strong enough at the time I bought it to bend it) and it was 5.5 in length and it came from metalexpress.net.

For the past 2 months, I've bent 0-1 from McMaster and none of it has broken yet...but I'd be lying if i said it wasn't in the back of my mind. I noticed on the invoice with my order that it describe the 0-1 as "tight tolerance" so I'm guessing that it is more accomodating to being bent without snapping but you never know from bar to bar.

As far as the difference in bars of the same diameter, W-1 feels like butter compared to 0-1 IMHO. I like the 0-1 because it's so hard to crush--BenCrush is absolutely right, it definantly makes you work for it.

Like I said in the other post, be careful guys and happy bending--AM

Rob

It was probably a defective length in bending terms :D remember most steel aint meant to be bent the way we bend it when its bent by a machine etc its usually bent in a bigger radius.ark were as we try to bend it straight in the middle so the middle is always the piont were we benders are applying the most stress machines etc use ways to stress releive as they bend the metal plus some metals are not meant to be bent in certain sharp radeii like we do the heat treated and hardened metals are more brittle but thats not the only thing it depends what metal is mixed in to harden it etc the length you got might of had more of this mixed in so made it more brittle so its more liable to fracture/break also it can depend on how it was cooled w-1 will be water cooled O-1 will be oil cooled so that in itself will have a bearing on what the metal has gone through as we all know steel various even from foot to foot the reds and bastards are an example you can only work with what you have in your hands at the time if that was me i would just put it down to a fauly batch[bending wise] and try some other it will probably be okay as Ben,Aaron,Tim T and others have used quite abit of this stock without it breaking if you feel abit worried about trying another piece in the future from fear of injury etc i would just get yourself a single wrap of leather a bend certain stuff in this just in case.

when its bent by a machine etc its usually bent in a bigger radius

Actually most folds on a brake press will be at a much smaller radius!

Generally the higher the carbon content, the stonger but more brittle the steel becomes...obviously when you start adding other elements, such as vanadium, nickel, manganese, cobalt, molybdenum, chromium...these in turn greatly alter the properties of the alloy. ;):)