Anyone ever done this?

Guest baldy

Guest baldy

Yesterday I thought of a feat of strength I haven't heard anyone discuss before. Doing a legitimate one armed chin or pullup on a Rolling Thunder handle. This would obviously be one of those John Brookfield style combo deals where you have to have the pulling power to do a good one arm chin as well as the grip power to do BW or greater on a Rolling Thunder. In fact, you would have to be able to at least do a decent timed hold with your own bodyweight to have a shot at this one.

I can think of a few people on here who (IMHO) would have a good shot at doing this. One or two Brits and one American, right off the top of my head. Others, if they trained specifically for it.

Any takers? If anyone here does it, please send Bill a video.

Guest baldy

I thought of him after I posted the message and logged off. Also thought of Nick M. Either of those guys probably do one armed chins just for fun, and I bet they are good on the RT. This feat is kind of along the lines of that thread a few months ago about a triple bw deadlift and 20 chins, because you have to have a really good RT lift and not be overly heavy.

I was waiting for someone to post "that's impossible", because then it would be that much sweeter for the guy that does it and sends in a video to Bill.

Now, someone do it and send in a video!

I'm not sure, but a hook grip while hanging from rolling thunder may be easier than trying to deadlift it with a hook grip.  Either way it is definitely possible.

Can I do it with the free hand gripping my wrist? If so I might give it a go after daves Iron Grip comp. Right now - no photos as yet - I'm pulling 123 kilos plus the handle etc on the RT and I weigh about 110-113 kilos so theres a little leeway.

I can't imagine anyone having large enough hands to hook grip a RT handle?

Can I do it with the free hand gripping my wrist? If so I might give it a go after daves Iron Grip comp. Right now - no photos as yet - I'm pulling 123 kilos plus the handle etc on the RT and I weigh about 110-113 kilos so theres a little leeway.

ANYONE can hook grip an RT handle.

What's the weight that your trying to hook grip?  That's the real question!!  :)

ANYONE can hook grip an RT handle.

Were you drunk when you posted this?  I can't even get the tips of my fingers to touch, let alone hook one.......

It is "possible" (emphasis on the word) to hook grip a RT handle, BUT it'll be VERY difficult.  The word I should NOT have used was "anyone".  My boo-boo, sorry Heath.  :(

OK, I was just curious..... :)

Guest baldy

Steve, if you hold your wrist with your off hand it wouldn't be a legitimate one arm chin. It would still be an impressive feat, but it isn't what I am referring to here. It would be interesting to see if you can simply dead hang from just one arm with the other one "out of play".

Personally I don't think it is possible for someone over about 220 lbs or so to do this feat in strict form. The record on the RT for a one hand lift is somewhere around 270 - 275 lbs, and I don't think that could be held long enough to do a chin. Take that and the different forces that will be pulling on the gripping hand as the one arm chin is done, plus the ability to even do a legitimate one arm chin. I am confident that there are board members who can either do it now or will be able to do it soon, but I would bet they all weigh in under 200 lbs. Anyway, this is just my opinion. I look forward to seeing the first video when someone does this.

As for hooking a RT, who has done it?

Right now - no photos as yet - I'm pulling 123 kilos plus the handle etc on the RT and I weigh about 110-113 kilos so theres a little leeway.

Why no photos?  Still just hearsay at this point.  C'mon, get that camera out!

I train the RT at my local gym and they wouldn't know grip work if it bit them on the butt. That and I need a new battery for my SLR. Don't worry I'll get it soon (heresay indeed)...

I gave the RT handle chin a spin this am - way to iffy!! I didn't feel at all safe and it was all I could do to hold on.

I then tried my normal RT session work and jjust pulled 123.25 kilos off my gym floor but not all the way.

Finished with Thick handle work ready for the Inch Farmers walk by doing 176 with each hand for 3 x 1 no probs :)

Guest baldy
It would be a great feat just to hang from a rolling thunder handle with one hand let alone do a one arm chin.
That is what I am thinking too.
I gave the RT handle chin a spin this am - way to iffy!! I didn't feel at all safe and it was all I could do to hold on.

I then tried my normal RT session work and jjust pulled 123.25 kilos off my gym floor but not all the way.

Cool that you tried it. I bet it feels pretty squirelly. My RT lift is way below my BW so there is no sense in me falling off my power rack in the garage trying.

BTW, how do you pull something off the floor but not all the way? Do you mean not to full lockout, or not off the floor (but still "off the floor")? Either way it is a ton of weight and I look forward to seeing the hearsay turn into a picture. :)

As in off my gym floor carpet but I didn't stand up with it feeling that it would slip and crash down (wooden floor boards broekn equals mony to pay out).

I normally do it b4 the lock outs (at a local gym - with concrete floors) but decided to leave them for one week until after the grip comp.

I'll see what I can do within a few weeks.