Ironmind steel fingers championship

Wade Gillingham

Just got a chance to read through the comments on this weekends Rolling Thunder and Pinch Grip contest.  Thought I'd start a new thread.

Pinch Grip - never done this before with a pinch grip block.  Some were complaining that the numbers were low.  I trained my pinchers three times before going to St. Louis in a two week period.  My last workout I cleaned the blob with my right hand, lifted it to a 54" platform with my left, lifted one in each hand and walked around without any difficulty, and then lifted it with 15 pounds attached with my right hand.  I pinched two 45's smooth side out for 10 reps with each hand.  I drove 12 hours straight, took 15 minutes to check into the hotel, then headed to the restaurant.  They started the contest shortly after I got there and I started warming up with a mouth full of food.  Painted steel surfaces are incredibly slick.  Pfister struggled to get 60 pounds and wasn't close with 65.  I didn't have any trouble with any of the weights.  The next jump was 7.5 pounds and that was too much.

Rolling Thunder - the numbers were a bit low.  It was a new handle which does make a big difference.  I did 220 and missed 225.  Johny Perry did 225.  Phil's arm was hurting so he pulled out.  The strongman competitors had a 2 3/8" axle clean and press the night before so their grips were already taxed.  I worked out that day but other than that I have no excuses - I've never done well with new handles and in competitions.  I have to have the handle clean and my hands washed to do well in RT.  In competition you go when you are called - there is no running to the bathroom to clean up and cleaning the handle off, then waiting until your hands are perfect to lift it.  BTW, the weights on both events didn't include the apparatus and pin which was the big Ironmind pin and clip.

As far as Gazza and his drug post - I don't use, never have.  I have lost a bunch of weight coming in because of the brutal heat the last couple weeks.  I weighed around 270.  

Wade

Wade,

Once again congrats on your lifts. As I've always said before competition, the elements, etc, etc all take their toll on anyones performances. Also, that's a wide pinch lift, and as you said a very smooth surface. I wouldnt mind using your post (or a different email if you want) to illustrate how all these variances make a difference to ones perfomances. I could add it to Randy's write up of the contest in Iron Grip What do you think?

David

Congrats Wade

You did a great job Wade.  Congrats.  Are you going to be in Stillwater this Saturday?

BC.

Guest 115-1005574997

Wade

Great performance mate and its easy to criticise when your not the one lifting in the comp!

Interesting what you said about washed hands for the Rolling Thunder.  Why do you find that more helpful than chalked hands?

Guest baldy

Wade, congrats on all your lifts. Especially the blob + 15, isn't that a new overall record? Also, thanks for the comments about the washed hands / no chalk on RT. A few of us have been discussing that here for a bit and that method is starting to look like popular consensus. However, you are the first really good RT person who has cared to comment.

Dave - thanks.  Yes, you can use my post if you want.

BC - no, I won't be there.  My sister is getting married.

As far as the washed hands, yes I do think this is better for me personally.  At this competition I was really having a hard time keeping my hands dry so I probably would have tried some chalk after I noticed I was going to have trouble.  Would it have helped...probably not!

Wade

Sybersnott to the rescue!!  :D

Wade, just have a bucket of water ready at your side and wash your hands there!  Or, do what I do, have a jug of water next to you, pour what you need into your hands, and dry up with a handy towel!!  Quick and easy!  :)

Wade,

Perhaps a bit off the topic, but what is your best lift with the Ironmind Hub Gripper? I know that a few years ago, Ironmind changed the hub to a slicker epoxy finish, which would seem to make it more difficult. I have the older hub, purchased in 1991 or 1992 with the grey enamel painted finish. Do you do any work with the Titan's Telegraph Key and if so, how often?

Thanks for your responses and congratulations.

My best with the new Ironmind hub is 70 pounds.  I haven't tried the hub since I did that 2+ years ago.  I can do around 60 pounds with a York plate hub but balance becomes a big problem.  No, I don't work with the TT at all.  I just pinch plates from time to time and pull out the Blobs a couple times a year.  If you want to work your pinch grip find someone with a wood splitter and stand at the end of it pinching blocks of wood as they come off the splitter all day!  This is the only thing that has ever made my hands and thumbs ache.