Disappointed With My Heavy Grips

deep_salvage

I agree with Tony-

Though the quality may be a little spottier, for someone not really sure if they are going to get into the grippers, you can't beat the set of 6 for $75 on their website. The 350 will be likely all the gripper you need for some time.

I agree with Tony-

Though the quality may be a little spottier, for someone not really sure if they are going to get into the grippers, you can't beat the set of 6 for $75 on their website. The 350 will be likely all the gripper you need for some time.

I agree with Bob-

Look at it this way... it's like comparing a Cadillac and a Yugo. They both have 4 wheels, get you from point A to point B, and you can look out the window and enjoy the view as you drive.

Difference is: some people can afford a Cadillac, and some can't. You still NEED a car, so what to do?

I agree with Tony-

I agree with Bob-

Look at it this way... it's like comparing a Cadillac and a Yugo. They both have 4 wheels, get you from point A to point B, and you can look out the window and enjoy the view as you drive.

Difference is: some people can afford a Cadillac, and some can't. You still NEED a car, so what to do?

I agree with Sybersnott; LOL

I just got the 200 replacement and a 250 to go on with. Straight out of the pack I was able to close the 200 once with each hand. 1 hour later I can't quite close it. I think that it the level that I need? I can just do it, so I can work with it and build up.

So now I am driving a long and enjoying the scenery.

Best wishes

Tony

You can buy 6 HG's for $75+ S&H or 5 quality IM grippers for $99.75 + S&H. For the extra $25 I would go for the quality!

My HG250 has been the perfect gripper to serve the purpose of filling the gap in my gripper collection. It started out of the pack at 1.8 (against my well-used #2), and hundreds of closes later it hasn't lost any strength at all. Maybe I just got a good one.

- Duncan

i bought them for stepping stones. then they became my first filed grippers, now they will be stepping stones again for no-set closes. the hg250 i have is a good quality gripper. its hard, and has stayed hard the year or so i have had it. the hg300 is a little harder than my #2, but it is the spread of the handles that i like. it seasoned down to just a little over 2 inches. easy for small hands.

use the HG's where ya can, but they are not all that bad an investment, i'd do it again if i had to.

I am dissapointed with my HG's too. I can't close the CoC #2, but I closed my HG300 in Feb. I got mine from the HG website. I called customer service and they told me to measure the distance between the handles, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet. I don't know if it's worth sending them back anyway. I wish that I had just bought the COC's.

I am dissapointed with my HG's too. I can't close the CoC #2, but I closed my HG300 in Feb. I got mine from the HG website. I called customer service and they told me to measure the distance between the handles, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet. I don't know if it's worth sending them back anyway. I wish that I had just bought the COC's.

You must have a narrow one or a weak one or one with very low set handles. My HG300 is much harder and is inbetween my new and standard BBGM and #3.

But anyhow..use it for what it is. You can shut it but can't yet get your #2. So, overcrush it and rep it. I cannot imagine it is easier than a 1.5 if you have one ?

If you bought the complete set, a couple of the easier grippers maybe useful for warm up, or you give/sell them to friends starting out or to a GF. As an example, the HG100 rates about 88 lb (calling the Sport 80 and the Trainer 100) and is a joke for anyone here, but found a good home with a friend who is recovering from hand surgery. I saved my other HG100 for my daughter who can almost take out the Sport now.

However, with IM having a 1,1.5,2,2.5 and 3 etc I don't steer anyone to any place other than IM and if they struggle with the #1 in tests I tell them to get the T as well.

You must have a narrow one or a weak one or one with very low set handles. My HG300 is much harder and is inbetween my new and standard BBGM and #3.

But anyhow..use it for what it is. You can shut it but can't yet get your #2. So, overcrush it and rep it. I cannot imagine it is easier than a 1.5 if you have one ?

If you bought the complete set, a couple of the easier grippers maybe useful for warm up, or you give/sell them to friends starting out or to a GF. As an example, the HG100 rates about 88 lb (calling the Sport 80 and the Trainer 100) and is a joke for anyone here, but found a good home with a friend who is recovering from hand surgery. I saved my other HG100 for my daughter who can almost take out the Sport now.

However, with IM having a 1,1.5,2,2.5 and 3 etc I don't steer anyone to any place other than IM and if they struggle with the #1 in tests I tell them to get the T as well.

It seems that there is a problem with at least a proportion of HG becoming easier over time for one reason or another. Here in Australia, the HG are a cheap entry level gripper. If I can get a year out of them, I will be happy.

I don't know anyone else that trains their grip; and couldn't try them out before hand or compare them to any other model. The COC retail for $54 each the HG for $28. I was lucky to get them the HG for $20. In the US, the COC are just $20. I wouldn't consider the HG if I was in the US.

Tony,

Enjoy the ride. Remember: grip training is a journey, not a destination! If you have a "weak" gripper, then bang out a lot of reps! If it's "strong" gripper, then only a few.

If you have lemons, then make lemonade! :) Crush your gripper like you wanna make it scream, then go over to the mirror in your bathroom and rip your shirt off and beat your chest and then yell at the top of your voice, "I am the great and mighty Sybersnott, and I am a mofo badass!!" :yikes

It's good to dream, isn't it? :D:laugh

Apart from Syber (who is a loveable raving looney) you are all (and yes I know that means I am too) obssessing over sweet fanny adams. Given the price most pay for their HG grippers and with HG not actually making the claims some have said they were you have a dirt cheap gripper made in China.

They are tools in your grip 'tool box'. Do not expect too much from them.

Hi all,

I bought a set of three Heavy Grips off Ebay. They are the 100, 150 and 200 pound models. I have a strong sense that over a period of a week, they have become much easier to close.

I had a chance last weekend to test the COC #1. The Heavy Grips 200 pounds, is much much easier to close than the COC#1 at 140 pounds. I would say it would be under half of it's rated difficulty. At a guess I would need a 300 or 350 model to equal the COC#1.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I was thinking of buying the larger Heavy Grips because I prefer the narrower handles but now I am having second thoughts.

I just wanted to post this in the hopes that someone could offer some information. Should I just get the COC? Is it possible I got some "pirated" Heavy Hands?

Best wishes

Tony

Hi all,

I bought a set of three Heavy Grips off Ebay. They are the 100, 150 and 200 pound models. I have a strong sense that over a period of a week, they have become much easier to close.

I had a chance last weekend to test the COC #1. The Heavy Grips 200 pounds, is much much easier to close than the COC#1 at 140 pounds. I would say it would be under half of it's rated difficulty. At a guess I would need a 300 or 350 model to equal the COC#1.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I was thinking of buying the larger Heavy Grips because I prefer the narrower handles but now I am having second thoughts.

I just wanted to post this in the hopes that someone could offer some information. Should I just get the COC? Is it possible I got some "pirated" Heavy Hands?

Best wishes

Tony

:shifty

Hi all,

Best wishes

Tony

Hi all,

Best wishes

Tony

TONY;

I THINK YOU GOT A BAD SET OF HEAVY GRIPS. I HAVE GOT A SET OF THE HEAVY GRIPS,THE COC'S AND THE BEEF BUILDERS. AND THE HEAVY GRIPS STAND UP TO THE COC VERY GOOD. THE HANDLES OF THE HG'S ARE BETTER THAN THE COC'S,THE BEEF BUILDERS ARE BETTER TOO. MAYBE YOU GOT A BAD SET. MY THING IS THIS; IT IS ALL ABOUT THE SPREAD AND THE SEASONING OF THE GRIPPERS. MANY PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE HG'S BUT THEY ARE GRIPPERS BUILT FOR PEOPLE WITH SMALLER HANDS. MY HG 200 IS SLIGHTLY STRONGER THAN A COC1(140), THE 250 IS ABOUT EVEN WITH THE COC2(195) AND HG 300 IS SLIGHTLY WEAKER THAN THE COC3 OREVEN. WHEN I FIRST ORDERED THE HG'S I COULD NOT CLOSE THE 200,I ALREADY HAD THE COMPLETE SET OF NEW COC'S AND HAD CLOSED THE COC1 AND THE 2 COC SO GO FIGURE. I TRULY BELIEVE YOU GOT A LEMON SET OF HG'S. BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE I KNOW

SAY THE HEAVY GRIPS ARE GOOD GRIPPERS. I KNOW SEVERAL COC CERTIFIED 3 PEOPLE WHO COULD NOT CLOSE THE HG300 THE FIRST TIME THEY TRIED IT. MAYBE THEY WERE NOT USE TO THE SMALLER SPREAD OR SOMETHING BUT THEY FAILED. SEVERAL WEEKS LATER THEY DID IT. BUT NOT WITHOUT A STRUGGLE. THE COC HAVE A WIDER SPREAD NEAR 3 INCHES WHILE THE HG'S AVERAGE OUT AROUND 2.5 OR SO. ACTUALLY THE HG300 IS 23/4 INCHES AND THE 350 IS NEAR 2.75 INCHES SO THEY COMPARE FAVORABLY TO THE COC'S. ICAN CLOSE THE COC3 AND AM GETTING READY TO CERTIFY ON THEM SHORTLY. BUT YOU ARE SAYING THE 250 IS EASIER THAN THE COC1?????. I WOULD SEND THEM BACK AND GET REPLACEMENTS AND WHEN YOU GET THE NEW HG'S MEASURE THE SPREAD'S AND YOU SHOULD FIND THEM AROUND 21/2 OR SO NOT LESS. THESE ARE MY HG'S. BUT OF ALL THE PEOPLE I KNOW THAT HAVE THEM THEY SAY THEY ARE VERY NICE GRIPPERS FOR THE PRICE. DON'T BUY ON E-BAY YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. MAYBE THEY WERE TAMPERED WITH OR SOMETHING WHO KNOW'S. GO TO A DEALER ON THE INTERNET LIKE LEEHAYWOOD.COM. HE SELLS THEM AND WILL INCLUDE AN E-BOOK ON HOW TO CLOSE THEM AND TRAIN WITH THEM.

GOOD LUCK/ROB

P.S. IF YOUR HG'S ARE SO WEAK THAT YOU THINK THAT A HG300 OR 350 WILL EQUAL A COC1 THEN I KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE HG'S YOU GOT WERE TAMPERED WITH OR ARE FAKES OR DUPLICATED IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER. BECAUSE AGAIN A HG300 IS A WORLD CLASS GRIPPER IN THE RANGE OF THE COC2-3 IN THE VERY LEAST. GOOD LUCK

In spite of god only knows how much upper case typing - an HG 300 is not even in the same class as a CoC 3.

Bill Morrison - owner / CEO of HG has told me that the HG grippers cost on the order of $4.00 in parts. Anyone that owns more than a few grippers will tell you that the 'dogs nads' (best) grippers are those made by Warren Tetting. A close second (because both can or used to make custom models) are Robert Baraban. Immediataly behind those are the IM CoC grippers. Then the HG series and then after that all the other Chinese knock offs etc.

It has been discussed at great length the various problems with grippers and the HG grippers suffer from more of the problems that occur than most. Be that a non-standard spread, differing depths of spring setting and so on. Even in those with a closer to average spead and spring depth etc you will see that the knurling isn't as grippy (again a deliberate decision on Bills part), that you can see often see glue where the sping has been inserted into the handle and so on.

If you check the Gripboard FAQ you will see the wire size of an HG 300 - all other aspects of it's build being equal this is the best measure of strength rating - is less than that of a CoC 3 (from any year). I have two. Both are warm ups before I get to a CoC 3.

If, as you say, his grippers are as he says you may be right - but an HG300 as hard or equal to a CoC 3? Not even close.

My HG300 is harder than 4/5 the #3s i have played with. I will bring it to the comp, Mobster!

I've one hard 3 and 2 easier than the 3 HG300's. I wont play with any grip tools until after and then only if my hands aren't completely fried (as yours should be!!).

Tony,

Enjoy the ride. Remember: grip training is a journey, not a destination! If you have a "weak" gripper, then bang out a lot of reps! If it's "strong" gripper, then only a few.

If you have lemons, then make lemonade! :) Crush your gripper like you wanna make it scream, then go over to the mirror in your bathroom and rip your shirt off and beat your chest and then yell at the top of your voice, "I am the great and mighty Sybersnott, and I am a mofo badass!!" :yikes

It's good to dream, isn't it? :D:laugh

I love that. Love the attitude. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've had to reset the srpings in the 3 HGs that I have. The springs were set very shallow. My HG 300 was about a 1.5. Now its about 2.4 or so.