Rolling thunder at strongman nationals

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Re: Rolling Thunder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Diesel Power Forum ] [ FAQ ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by zeke on July 20, 2002 at 10:23:14:

In Reply to: Re: Rolling Thunder posted by Marvin on July 20, 2002 at 10:20:07:

Perry 230

Wade G. 220

Schoonie 200

Phil did not compete under advise from his coach, as his elbow was a little tender. He felt it was best to stay focused on the reason he was in St Louis.

I was told it was a brand new Rolling Thunder and very slick.They also said it was over 100 deg.

Guest DavidHW

Is chalk allowed in a Rolling Thunder contest? Just curious. You mentioned slickness, which I would guess wouldn't matter if one were chalked up.

David

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I belive they could use chalk. It must have been very tough.Everyone in the grip world knows what Wade can do.Johnny Perry is a 6'6 370lbs monster, and Schoonie has a bone crushing grip. Schoonie closed the #3 the first time it was handed to him.

Guest baldy

Harlan, isn't JP the guy who injured his back squatting in an event a couple of years ago? If he is the one I am thinking of, he tried to finish out the contest with a severe back injury.

Maybe the "new rolling thunder" is up there with the "double stamped grippers"... :)

Seriously, doing the RT outside in the weather is tough when it gets hot, that temperature would make a big difference. Chalk would just add to the mess if they didn't wipe the handle off good. I still don't understand why someone would want to chalk on the RT. Then again, I don't lift jack on the thing so what do I know.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

J.P. is the guy who hurt his back. He went to the WSM last year and will be going this year also.The others that made it wher Steve Kirit,Karl Gillingham,Jesse Marunde,and Brian Schooveld.  Perry also won the Herc hold with Schoonie getting second,I think.

Guest baldy

Interesting that of the 5 men you mentioned, at least 4 of them (and probably all 5) have phenomenal grips. I think that is funny since they are all strongman competitors, and on here occasionally someone will name a WSM guy and say something about him not being able to close a #3. Again, I believe that anyone at their level can train to close a #3 and beyond if they desire to.

Jesse is one to keep an eye on, I really hope to see big things in his future in the sport.

I have a new Rolling Thunder (got it about a month ago or less), and it wasn't any harder than an old one I trained with.

Also, I forgot to mention it earlier, but I didn't use chalk, washed my hands good, and ended up making a big PR.

I can see the heat and sweaty hands being a killer.

Guest DavidHW

Bob:

Washing your hands, eh? Sounds similar to what I do between each attempt when I'm hub lifting. You get your hand oils on the metal, and it just doesn't want to go anymore. I have to wipe my hands and the hub between lifts.

Maybe it's that chalk doesn't make any difference on a smooth surface? As opposed, say, to the knurling on an Olympic bar or an IM gripper.

David