Trained with heath again

Guest baldy

Guest baldy

Today I went up to Heath's place to train with him. I was having a good day on non-grip work, but grip work wasn't my thing today. Heath, however, did some really cool grip stuff in addition to some impressive non-grip lifts.

1.  Pinched half of a 100 lb hex dumbell 6-7 times to full lockout. He literally had that thing off the ground 35+ times. It was to the point that any time we were between sets he headed over to it. This piece seems to be a good training tool between a 45 and 50 lb York blob.

2. Piched / thick handled multiple times like a toy an 18 lb chunk of something (piston sleeve?) that was about 6" in diameter. This thing felt impossible to me, but I saw him do it over 10 times, including one time where he cleaned it and put it overhead.

3.  Cleaned 118 lbs on the slickest IDB I have ever seen. My IDB is textured (supposedly similar to the original), Heath's felt like glass. Heath cleaned the weight so easily his own wrist hit him in the shoulder and caused the bell to deflect off towards the ground. He was definitely good for more on this one, but he stopped there.

4. After all this Heath easily pinned his #3 for about 20 seconds for a colleague of his that showed up.

I had a blast just watching all this. Also I finally got to meet Heath's dad, which explained a lot. I see where a good heap of the genetics come from now, Heath's dad looks like he could wrestle a gorilla down if he really wanted to.

Tim, thanks for coming up, and I'm looking forward to training with you again.  He tried the softball lift for the first time, and worked up to 70lbs I think + pin and softball.  He set a PR on SQ lockouts, 860 with a 4" ROM.  He also set other non-grip PRs.  The most impressive was him dragging my sled about 60yds up my driveway, uphill the whole way then turning and dragging it about 70yds backdown.  I have to pracice up before the next time, that was just humbling!

Guest baldy

Joe, I saw it and I felt the sheer weight of it, but I didn't try it. The handles had a much more shallow knurling than any of my IM grippers, and by the weight of that thing I assumed the handles must be stainless steel. Also, like you mentioned on here, I noticed the double stamp. Anyway, by the time I was warmed up I forgot all about it since I wasn't working grippers. To be honest, I am so weak at crushing that I probably couldn't tell the difference between your hard #4 and my own "normal" #4. Heath has felt so many grippers, if he says it is a monster he speaks from experience. At his level a slight difference in tension can be noticed.

Heath, you need to get some collars for that IDB so you can work on the clean. 118 was totally awesome for the first time out, that really impressed me. Especially since you ripped it up so easily. As for the sled, I have to be able to hang with you on *something*. Thanks again for having me over, I too look forward to the next session.

Heath, you need to get some collars for that IDB so you can work on the clean. .

118 is ok.  I will have to see if I can make some collars for mine.

You won't have to make collars, go get some muffler clamps. They'll probably work better also, mine never budge when I use them. You use a little crescent wrench to tighten them down. Mine cheap ones cost about $3 at my Canadian Tire.  muffler clamps

Thanks Nathan, I'll try that.