Cheating

gazza

A question,for Mr Roarke.

What is your take on people setting records,When useing steroids,Igf,Growth Hormone,Insulin,etc,i think a lot of people,who are massive EG:-300+lbs,as an example,(appologies if you are huge and have never used any of the above.)I think that like a lot of Thomas Inches stuff,should be questioned,because i feel that it is cheating.The reason wny i used the huge people as an example,is that they tend to lose or gain,sometimes ,50-100lbs within weeks one of the signs of steroid use,also alot of these people who swear they are not on steroids,are on 1 of the other,as it leaves the bloodstream

quicker,enabling less chance of detection.

Once again no offenceto the Gorillas and Brutes,who are huge

without drugs.

Do you think that they should have the same praise as the ones that do not cheat,or do you think they should be praised

regardless.

In an ideal world, there would be no illegal drug use for

enhanced athleticism. We had that ideal world until,

perhaps, the late 1950s or early 1960s, then things

changed, and in my view, not for the better.

Just as pole vault records using the old inflexible poles

cannot be compared meaningfully with modern records using

poles that bend more than a politician's promise, so records

using the iron-with-drugs suffer by comparison also.

Getting training advice from someone who used drugs to

gain mass or strength is similar to asking someone on cocaine

how he manages to always feel so happy.

What bothers me as much, or perhaps more, than drug use

is the implied denials of that use, or the refusal to admit to that use, and to attribute success to some training method

as though drugs were not involved.

Although acknowledging drug use, especially current drug use,

may land one in the grey-bar hotel, there is nonetheless a

pervasive sadness about giant men (bodybuilders and lifters)

who are so reliant on drugs but must convey they are not. It

seems that there is far more missing inside them than needles

can supply.

You asked my opinion: that's it. I will not argue about

opinions, and would not have offered mine had you not

asked.

Guest DavidHW

If grip sports ever really took off and went mainstream, I imagine we'd have to test, no? I mean, I don't think anyone would do drugs just to close a No. 3 gripper. But if they were already juicing for other events, the strength would probably carry over and make closing a No. 3 a far easier feat than it otherwise might have been.

For me, I just plug along competing against myself. As a raw, drug-free lifter, I'm used to going it alone -- otherwise my achievements just seem paltry compared to those who use suits and drugs. Same goes for grip if gripping ever gets submerged in performance enhancing substances.

IMHO.

David

Hello DavivHW,good point about the supper suits and wraps etc,thats how i meant,to start this post im not really bothered

who does ,or does not use,drugs wraps etc,i just feel that we owe it tto the past and present greats,apollon,goerna.saxon,

Sorin ,kinney,horne ,brookfield,etcto carry on this great tradition,of grip feats and brute strength,and to do so without

useing,wraps and drugs etc.

How many other sports can claim this,i cant think of any to do with strength,do not get me wrong,as much as a1000lbs

squat excites me,i would rather see the same person,do it

with say 800-900lbs,with no drugs or suite,not that we will ever,but i would hate to be compared to the WWF.

Guest DavidHW

I'm not bothered, either. Like I said, compete against yourself. If the other guy wants to shoot up or suck on bat testicles or drink yak's blood, hey, let'em go for it. Life's about making choices. Me, I just keep things in perspective and mind my own business.

David

Guest Christian
Getting training advice from someone who used drugs to

gain mass or strength is similar to asking someone on cocaine

how he manages to always feel so happy.

I love it! Great quote!

Your own?

I am not anti-steroid because I am not anti-much of anything, but it still made me smile because it's true.

What really irritates me is when one athlete does something spectacular, everybody jumps on him for using "steroids", and another athlete can do the same thing.... and nobody says a word about it.

Case in point:  Mark McGuire.  He hits 70 home runs in a single season, and everybody jumps on him for using andro.  Then Barry Bonds hits 73 home runs, and nobody said anything about him using anything.  Ha?  And you think Mr. Bonds is completely "natural"??   ???

As for yak's blood... I tried it; not bad if you mix it with a little Jack Daniel's whiskey.   :p  :p

Guest DavidHW

Snott:

In all seriousness, I've heard that a few Russian powerlifters swear by yak's blood. I guess it wouldn't be a substance violation per se, but gee -- if you can keep yak blood down, I say you deserve a trophy just for that. LOL.

David