Pinch grip at strongman nationals

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Pinch Grip at NATIONALS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Diesel Power Forum ] [ FAQ ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Jeff on July 17, 2002 at 19:42:20:

Wade Gillingham 65 Pounds

Phil Pfister 60 Pounds

Brian Shoonvelde 55 Pounds

Karl Gillingham 55 Pounds

Jeff Bach

www.theweakgeteaten.com

I don't know how big the artical was they where pinching. No surprise with those 4 guys. All 4 have monster grips.

Guest 115-1005574997

some strong blokes there and a good result, but remember its 65lbs + the 7.5lbs loading pin and handle.

Respect to the guys as its a slippy set up and quite hard.

35k on David Hornes set up equates to about 25k on the iron mind set up (well thats what i can do on the two :)

Guest Jay Ansuini

I'm a little confused.  To me it seems like they should be doing more weight than that.  Granted I don't know what the dimensions of the block they were using, or really anything else about the competition.  I assume from the other posts that the device was the Ironmind Block.  I have never used it, but 60 lbs. for 1st place seems really low.  How does the Ironmind Block translate to pinching plates?  The first time I pinched I pulled 2 wide 25's fairly easily, and I am sure that these guys are much stronger than I am.  I don't mean to sound accusatory, it just seems that with all the amateur strongmen on this board pinching huge (Clayton has pulled around double the 1st place mark, not to mention Sorin, Horne and others) it seems like these guys should have pulled more.  Am I way off base?

about 25k on the iron mind set up (well thats what i can do on the two :)

Do you guys have the new "blockbuster" pinch block or the old one?  The new one is much wider and  very slippery.  If you're getting about 25k on the new one, great work!

The winner of the above comp is a monster pincher. He has passed a pair of 45s around his body (in a circle around his waist, from hand to hand) something like 15 times. He pinch lifted the 50 lb york blob the first time he tried. For him, a pair of 45s in each hand at the same time ... easy. Whatever the set-up, you can bet it was difficult.

Mike M.

Supersqueeze,was this without the aid of juice,steroids,IGF,

growth hormone etc,If it was not and you also take into account,the at least 100lbs bodyweight,over the likes of ,

Mr Horne,Mr Sorin,Mr Sexton,MrClayton etc,then not that great,allot better than i can do but,give me the pharmasuticals

etc and the 100lbs plus body weight and i could do that.

Just shows how great Mr Horne,Sorin,Sexton+Clayton,really are,how much more could they do,with roids,and 100lbs plus bodyweight.

Gazza,

I won't dissagree that steroids will aid in a person's training.  However, by making comments like if I had this then I could match so and so's performance.  When you say that you are already admitting defeat and setting a definite limit for your own performance.  I am of the belief that steroids wouldn't be as beneficial to grip training as they would be to a bench press or squat anyway.  The muscles that are involved in pinching and crushing are small.  Gripping is more learning how to exert more force by having a greater percentage of your muscle fibers fire at once, as well as strengthening the tendons to allow more stress.  Steroids to little for tendon strength.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that Kinney, Sorin, and Brookfield never used any performance enhancing drugs stronger than caffiene.  So if steroids are so beneficial to grip why hasn't a Roidhead shattered their performances?

Guest StrongerthanArne

I believe one should always assume that competitors are not using drugs until proven otherwise. Congratulation Wade, well done!

Congratulations to all who performed in the pinch contest, and of course good luck to all competing in the Rolling Thunder event to come. Well done Wade, I think that it must have been a tough object to pinch (wide and slippy as Scott says). I think I will get a blockbuster pinch apparatus from IronMind in the future, according to the catalogue it's 3" wide. This would be wide for my hand size. Scott have you got one?

David

Gazza-

Those kinds of assertions reflect the obvious lack of knowledge and research on the subjects about which you're speaking.

BC.

Riotgrip,thanks for the reply ,i agree that steroids etc would have little effect,on most grip exercises,but take something like the apollons axle overhead or the inch d/bell overhead,were it becomes a whole body exercise,then shorely

the extra body weight gained with drugs would be an advantage,take Mr Henry as an example,anywere from 350-450lbs body weight,if Mr Henry did do it drug free,and i am not impliying that he has ,or has not used drugs,then what an achievement,and i congradulate him,but useing Mr Henry as an example,if he did use anything to help him put the inch bell overhead and at that body weight,then the odds would shurely be stacked against us meer mortals.

I am not saying this to add mit defeat,and i do believe that  the likes of Mr Horne ,Sorin,Kinney,Brookfield etc,did not use

drugs.

Its just that there are an awful lot of cheats out there ,in professional as well as amateur sports ,that would do anything for glory,look at all the false facts over thomas inch,

I would hate someone else to get treated like thomes inch ,in

years to come,did he didnt he.

I also agree with supersqueeze that one should assume that competiters are clean until  proven otherwise.

If we all agree with the last sentense,then why worry about what Mr Inch did or ,did not do.

Can you all see were i am comeing from.

Guest 115-1005574997

Sorry for flitting back to Daves post but ive got a similar copy made my scorpion gym back in 1996 and its 2.5" wide with rounded edges

Get one Dave, really hits the fingertips hard and is an ego killer :)

Gazza,

The most impressive thing about Henry's feat was the clean of the inch bell, The world champion 180 lb olympic lifter could probably jerk/push press the bell with one hand if he got it to his shoulders with both hands.  Further more he could probably one hand clean 172 on a 1.25 inch diameter dumbell if he had the technique down.  Henry's feat is most impressive in the realm of gripstrength, not whole body strength

Jay, et al.  The pinching implement used was Ironmind's new Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block.  It's 6" x 3" x 6", the 3" being the pinching diameter.  I've never used one, or even seen one in person, so I can't make any accurate comparisons.  But as it's standard equipment, one can easily get one and test their meddle against the top four finishers of this contest.

Congrats Wade!

BC.

I own the blockbuster pinch block and it is wide and slippery.  I also own the original pinch block from Ironmind that is 2" wide.  They are both pretty slippery, but I think the width of the blockbuster block makes the slipperiness seem a lot worse.

To give you an idea about what washing your hands and the slick surface can do for you, the best I've done is 60 lbs. on the new pinch grip block.

Guest baldy

Way to go Jesse! Since we were all talking about the washing hands / wrist roller thing I recently started using it on my 2" vbar lifts (done on an Olympic IM loading pin). I have added a significant amount onto my old PR in a short time by not using chalk. It is still nothing to write home about, but I have improved. Right now I wash / rinse before using my PVC roller, Rolling Thunder, and 2" vbar.

I am also finding a bit of beneficial setting / positioning on the 2" vbar, I can't really explain it yet but it was not there when I used chalk because my hand slid around too much.

Guest Canthar

Hmm, I use chalk even for the slippery stuff but, most people laugh. I use just enough to dry the surface of my hands and I rub them together so you really cannot even see it. Keeps the sweat and oil down.

Nic

That makes me feel better about my own lifts using a block 6''

long and 3'' thick. I hook it onto a loading pin and have done over 70 pounds on it . I now see that I am doing pretty good !